1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Most powerful class?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Faraaz, Aug 7, 2004.

1. nightwood Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

well i can't tell if it's the *most* powerful charcter, but i know this one is pretty powerful.
    i'd throw in a dual-classed berserker (lvl9) / mage.

hp : around 100

proficiencies : 5* in longswords, 3* in 2-weapon-style, 1* staffs

equpiment : day star, (what's the name of the longsword cromwell can forge - i play the german version ), staff of the magi, bladesinger chainmail (or at times vecna's robe) , balduran's helmet, gauntlets of weapon expertise, amulet of power, boots of speed, girdle of str=21 (forgot which giants)

at the end of soa, he can cast time stop. he doesn't care the slightest bit about fighter hlas - imp. haste and tensers transdormation give him 8 attacks per round for 18 rounds doing around 25/35 points of damage each, if he wants to. with tenser he's got about 190-200 hps. oh sure, he can always cast simulacrum beforehands, that makes him two.

that makes me wonder how anyone can seriously prefer a mc f/m to a dc b/m.

2. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It just depends on how much you can justify abusing the game engine. If that doesn't matter to you, then at later levels a Sorceror is broken and will lay waste to anything in his path. Bards (particularly Blades) and Mage-Thieves using infinite backstabs can be vicious as well. All, however, involve some extremely liberal rationalisation and a level of power-gaming that is based more on breaking the system than on any semblance of proportionality.

If you prefer a less exploitative game style, then I'd have to say the Fighter/Druid and Fighter/Mage are the most powerful - the combination of abilities (particularly for a high-level F/M) are truly awesome and don't require the brain-bending combinations of cheese that some other classes espouse.

3. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Scythesong: Yeah...that song abusing tactic is really good. I had Aerie pummel the red dragon in Watcher's Keep with Staff of the Magi, with 5 images singing... :D :D :D

UAI can be abused as well. So can the traps.

Hmm...I'd say the Blade comes right after the Sorcerer, but the Sorcerer is STILL Numero Uno!! :evil:

4. Sir Slayer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

A question for fans of sorcerers - how do you deal with golems (especially adamantine)? They are all 100% magic resistant and so strong that will crush any summoned creatures. Do you just continually lower their magic resistance? If yes, than fights with them must take ages! I voted for F/M as he just puts on stoneskin and haste and crushes those things into a pile of scrap metal/dust/whatever.

5. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Not Mordekainen's Swords, they won't. I've never seen anything damage one of those things. A few critters in the path of an oncoming monster will hold them off long enough to summon whatever you need in defence and stop them, or to take the long road of lowering their resistances before annihilating them.

Adamantine and Iron Golems are pretty easy to deal with - the only place they won't get stuck in a door is in Suldanessellar, at which point you pepper them with Minute Meteors, Mordy's Swords or the Fire Tooth dagger (+3, returning). Cheap, easy, effective, and they don't get near you.

Clay Golems get tied up with a Skeleton Warrior or two, and meanwhile you either throw volleys of Minute Meteors at them or hit them with the Rod Of Smiting and kill them instantly.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    @ Sir Slayer

The only way to kill Mordy swords is with spells, and Adamantine golems don't have any that will harm them. Another summon that usually beats them to death is the Pit Fiend, but I guess you're not very likely to waste a slot on Gate. Planetars will also crush them in seconds.

Killing them with spells is easier than you think. They have huge resistances, but few HP relatively. A Spell Trigger with 3 lower resistance will completely remove their MR, then a single casting of any powerful damaging spell will kill them outright. Or, you can use Skulltrap, which bypasses (for some odd reason) MR. One or two at most will take care of a golem.

Hey, there *is* a reason why people love Sorcerers so much :)

7. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Anyone thinks that the Wild Mage is a powerful class?
    After playing through the game with the WM, I still am not sure if the class gives extra spell slots like the Speciality Mages?

8. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@SirSlayer: MR is no sweat for a Sorcerer.

Skulltrap, Dragon's Breath, Sunfire, they all bypass MR. So does Dispel Magic.

Lower Magic Resistance should only be used if you want to use stuff like Greater Malison, Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, Comet, etc.

Also, as far as summons go, Skeletal Warriors hit for +3, Mordenkainen's Swords hit for +4, Planetars, Devas, Pit Fiends, all can chop golems up, that's if you dont want to use Skull Trap, for (unlimited)d6 damage. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.