1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Most important part of a game

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Apu, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Another gameplay voter here.

I find the question hard to answer though as most brilliant games have both those qualities. One thing is easy it's not the graphics that make a great game.

But gameplay has the upperhand in my opinion because a game can have a great story but if the gameplay sucks you will only play the game once to see the story end, there is no incentive for another run through it. If the gameplay is fun there is more reason to play the game once more. Perfect example would be Secret of Mana and Might and Magic. Mana has a great battle system and very little story but I still play it. Same goes for might and magic, especially VI where there is a huge world but little story to guide you, but it has never been more fun to rain death on a bunch of goblin with a starburst spell.

Of course there has to be a good story present. It doesn't have to be fleshed out as much as planescape for example but even hints of a greater back story must be present, e.g. diablo had actually no story but you felt a certain background to the world that goes beyond the story told in the game, same goes for Might and Magic VI.

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Gameplay, no question. If a game has great gameplay and a crap story (*insert numerous FPS titles here*), it's still plenty fun.

If a game has a great story and crap gameplay, it's gonna be uninstalled real quick like.

3. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Gameplay, if I want good story, I can always read books.

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I am surprised that no one has yet voted for graphics. Although I picked gameplay, since I'm not big on heavy plot stuff when I want to play a game, but instead just want to enjoy playing it. Still, I think that a game is no fun if the graphics are atrocious. If anything, graphics create a good sense of verisimilitude, and really spice up what otherwise might be a bland game. I feel that if I picked up a popular game like Starcraft or one of the D&D-based games that had stick-figure graphics, I would say disgustedly, "this is crap," and move on to another game. Probably one with worse plot and gameplay.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.