1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Poll: most disappointing games...

Discussion in 'Playground' started by void, Mar 5, 2002.

1. void Guest

what are the ganes you've all been the most disappointed with?

Here are mine:

Force Commander, I was looking foward to this for AGES but I didn't even complete the first level.

X-Wing Aliance, this game looked like a winner but it turned out to be not so great (better than FC though...).

All star wars games to do with the phantom menace (ugh).

It may seem like I despise all SW games but I really loved all the old ones... I have big hopes for Jedi Knight 2 (the first one rocked!).

2. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

mario cart 64. not only did it not improve on its predecessor, it was actually WORSE than its excellent snes counterpart.

3. comicspaul Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Disappointing games...Two spring to mind:

Final Fantasy VIII (PSX) - after the packed-full-of-mini-games splendour of FFVII, the best this game could muster was a crappy card game, but in its defence, the card game in FFVIII is better than the one in FFIX, but FFIX can be forgiven as it has a better storyline than FFVIII.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura - This has the most horrendous slowdown of any game I have played, which is a shame as it seems a good game otherwise....I dont even play it any more.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have to agree alittle about Arcanum, a good game but the slowdowns made it impossible to run on my computer.
    Other disapointing games have been all of the Star Wars strategy games. From SW: Rebellion (even though it id the "best" of them) to Force Commander and SW: Galactic Battlegrounds.

5. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

King's Quest VIII is my most dissapointing game by far. It's not even worthy of the KQ title.

I haven't tried many of the new SW games, but the original Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, and Mysteries of the Sith all rocked IMHO. I'm sure Jedi Outcast will continue the tradidition. What I don't understand is why people hated MOTS?!?! The SP missions were the most creative of what had been done, and the MP missions were the bomb.

As for Phantom Menace games, Pod Racer was the only one I liked.

As you all know I am very optimistic about Attack of the Clones (especially after some recent reports from those lucky few who got to witness 8 minutes of footage at a recent ShoWest Convention :eek: and the new trailer right around the corner...) but as for AotC games, it's going to be tough to capture the magic of AotC into a video game.

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited March 07, 2002).]

6. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I play Arcanum on my Other Half's computer since it's too slow on mine. And on that computer, with its mighty 3D accelerator, Arcanum is indeed the greatest game ever!

Black & White was my big disappointment. I got it because I was keen to see the advanced AI- which did NOT disappoint, it was truly amazing how "real" the NPCs were- but never played much past the prologue because the navigation was just impossibly complicated.

7. void Guest

Frankly, I don't like TPM or AotC much, the stories just don't make enough sense (I'm not going to go into it...). I liked MOTS other than the part where Kyle turns to the dark side, that really sucked :( ... I would have liked it is Mara had gone and infiltrated the temple only to find that its power was to much for her, the last level you would be Kyle and you had to save her from it, I think THAT would be cool :) . Thanks for the posts!

Cheers, Void

8. Namuras Gems: 13/31

I have to agree with the god here, Mario Kart 64 is the only game I've been disappointed with so far.

Sure, the game looks nicer than the SNES version, and four can play at the same time, but the game need to be faster! Much faster!

9. PowerPuff Guest

Settlers IV, G-Police and Evil Dead (Hail to the king).

Settlers was - well - quite simply too boring to continue playing. After some time I discovered I spent most of my gaming time playing with the zoom. (In other words, it was time to move on).

G-Police was pretty cool actually, but will someone at Psygnosis for God's sake throw in a difficulty slider next time? Got to mission 6 or whatever, and was totally creamed by a bunch of nasty robots having a blast with their laser beams. Couldn't find a way argue my way around them within the totally unreasonable time limit, so I quit playing. (I now use that CD as a mirror ;) )

Evil Dead simply sucked. (I'd rather watch the movies, thank you very much...)

10. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Great disappointments we have experienced indeed.

Settlers IV - Hard to describe. The Settlers-feeling is gone.

Baldur's Gate II: SoA - :rolleyes: Story is boring, NPCs are annoying and monsters are unbalanced.

Might and Magic VIII - Too much money, joinable party members, 5 party members, no real choise in races/classes, too easy killing dragons, dragon class is very unbalanced, buggy etc. etc.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ultima IX Ascension. The buggiest piece of crap ever released. I've played alpha versions of games that had fewer bugs than that sorry excuse for a RPG.

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ultima VIII: Pagan. No party. Few weapons; all of them melee. Few kinds of monsters. Light carrying capacity. Combat was the worst ever.

13. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Hmm, Black and White has already been mentioned...

Mollusken was brave enough to mention that SoA was awful...

Ok, I'll vote for "Halflife: Blueshift" (or whatever the hell it was called.) Those lazy morons at valve need to stop recycling the same dated engine and make a new game. Its just complete stale white bread. Boring.

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Here's a 2nd for Force Commander!!! Worst game ever...I still don't know how it works! Supply rules were bizarre, battles were even worse!!! But the box and screenshots looked soooo cool....Oh George, how could you?!?!?!

I haven't bought a SW game since.

15. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I didn't like MotS because:
    1) Horrible Storm Trooper voices
    2) Kyle turns to the darkside. Kinda stupid after defeating Jerec in JK.
    3) Cut scenes were horrible.
    4) Story line was lacking.

Alpha Centauri (and Alien Crossfire):
    1) No difficulty setting.
    2) Huge learning difficulty.
    3) Way to complicated.
    4) Only eight player games in single player.

And finally, Final Fantasy 10 because it did not come out for PC.

16. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Zelda: majoras mask for the n64. This was meant to be an expansion/sequel type for zelda: ocarina of time (a game that i just could not put down). However the changes weren't worht it because of a totally irratating time scheme IMHO where every 72 (3 days game time) minutes you had to go back to the begginning of the 3 day cycle and lost all your stackable items and potions. If you just needed a few more minutes to finish a lenghty quest those minutes just weren't there. It sucked compared to every other zelda game i've played. I hope the gamecube zelda is as good as it looks.

[This message has been edited by Lazy Bonzo (edited March 08, 2002).]

17. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Dranor is the most dissapointing game I've bought in years. I was really looking forward to this one, and it sucked. I think that the original POR game from back in the 1980's was better.

18. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] There is no game that disappointed me actually.

But I was disappointed in d&d rules.

sorry.

Oh, and which game I do expect as major disappointment?
    NWN, of course.

19. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I can't remember the name of the game but it was a sort of adventure type game set in the criminal world of 1960s London. Most of the game played like a point and click adventure and involved casing out loctaions, talking to people to get jobs and getting equipment. When you were ready you were able to plan out the crime using a 2d map, timing and action setting etc to control your gang. The idea was excellent and I tried so hard to get into it but somehow it just didn't seem to work :( - Maybe someone should do an update.

A few so called great games have also dissapointed. Unreal just became so boring it was the first (and only) FPS I gave up on. I was also dissapointed in Half Life. A good game but I didn't feel it was the 'best game ever.' Maybe because I had played Thief and Sysytems Shock before it and that affected my judgement. I think both are far more atmospheric and I also prefer thinking to shooting. At this point I must also stick up for Mysteries of the Sith. I thought it was a good game in it's own right and when you also allow for the fact that it was only an add-on pack. If every add-on pack was only have as good as MotS I'd be very much happier.

In more recent times I've been lucky enough to avoid most dissapointments by playing the demo first. These persuaded me that the hype was unjustified for Force Commander, Galactic Battlegrounds, and a few others mentioned above. I also deliberately didn't buy Black & White because they didn't release a demo (the idea sounded like populous in 3D anyway).

Despite being more careful and using demos nowadays, I have still been caught out though :(. Driver was one. It semed like a great idea, the demo was fun but...... the game just became really repetitive too quickly. It was also bloody annoying because you could only save after several missions in a row. So one little mistake and you had to replay 3 or 4 levels. The control system was also crap and clearly hadn't been modified from the console version. In other words driving with the keyboard was ok but a steering wheel or joystick was impossible.

The other one recentlty was Acarnum. I had really high hopes for this based on many of the comments I'd read on these boards. The demo also seemed ok. However, I found myself really frustrated by the whole game and felt I was spending more time fighting the game design and interface than than the game itself. I hate the map system, I hate the party members absolutely terrible AI and am unimpressed with the 'flexible' control system that, in reality, forces you down typical RPG routes. Oh well Sprite assures me it gets much better so maybe I'll go back to it someday. She has also offered to give me some tips, and I've got no new games to play and can't afford to buy any others, .....

Oh god, it looks like I might have to face Arcanum again earlier than expected.

PS I've just seen Extremist's ost above. If we are also including Pen and Paper systmes then Shadowrun was the most disapointing by far. I don;t know if our DM interpreted incorrectly but it was the most awful combat system ever. Basically some players were allowed to go ethereal in combat and this provided certain initiative and speed bonses. This really unblanaced the game. I played a dwarven fighter (nicknamed Stumpy by the others) and in our first combat my contribution to this massive battle, that was all played out in ethereal mode, was to take one step towards a window and try to smash it. Not really much fun for an hours play. We seemed to spend the whol campaign rewritting the rules to make it playable.

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited March 09, 2002).]

20. jesper898 Guest

The game that disappointed me the most was POR:( It's the worst piece of crap i've ever played

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.