1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Moses: miracle worker or wizard?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Greenlion420, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The latter.

Thought I was explaining that very point, but I'll shut up now.

(Those pesky rants are easy to go off on.)

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Greenlion, I'll try to explain where I was coming from -- sorry if I go off topic, but I am responding to a question posed in this thread.

"The Dark Arts", as I used the term, would mean that Moses obtained his powers from someone or something Dark (like the Devil, or a demon, or whatever). What Moses did, he did with God's power (God = not Dark) and because God called him to do so. The results were similar (Moses and the Pharoah's magicians) but the "power source", as it were, was different. I was trying to say that Moses was not a follower of an evil path (at least according to the Bible, and what I believe. Those who believe that God is evil, go to the thread about it and post there.)

Does that answer your question, Greenlion?

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Oh thats weird, I thought Satan was the bringer of light ;)

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

According to my interpretation of the Bible, people are either disciples of Christ or anti-christ.

I know "good" Wiccans who use their craft to benefit those around them. They, however, deny the diety and resurrection of Christ. So even if they are healing and driving out demons, they still get their power from Satan.

There are stories like this in the book of Acts.
    Simon the Magi gave up his arcane magical powers, burned his books and coverted to Christianity. (Then he tried to bribe Peter and John for their divine empowerment, but that's another story ;) )

The sons of Sceva were driving out demons "In the name of Jesus whom Paul preaches..." until one of the demons turned on them and said, "Jesus I know and Paul I know, but who are you!?!" and gave them such a beating that they fled from the house naked. (Great stuff in the Bible!)

BTW Greenlion420 .... this is one of the best topics in the Alley lately!

[ April 17, 2003, 16:08: Message edited by: Mathetais ]

5. Morgoth

Media:
    As in with us, or against us?

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Yes, but Jesus said it before the defense department did ;)

From Matthew 12

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow, I could almost start to worship Satan just because all the nifty powers he would grant me. You guys make brilliant advertising!

What about all other holy men throughout *mythology*? Were they too working for God or Satan or are they just stories? If so what then makes Herkules into a mytholical figure out of faeritales and Moses into gods man on planet earth?

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

joacqin ... worshiping Satan may give some "nifty powers" but the retirment benefits are hellish! :good:

9. Morgoth

Media:
    How do you know? ever been in hell??
    Maybe it´s even more rewarding than heaven

All that with or against us stuff made me think of a pennywise video, which I´m not gonna quote here since I am in dire need of tact :shake:

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well, Joaquin, the simple answer to that is that one set of stories actually happened, and the other didn't! However, as has been stated so many times before, that boils down to faith and belief, which is, I guess what this whole thread was about -- do you believe Moses was:

a) A messenger or prophet of God
    b) a charlatan
    c) A mythical person
    d) A real person who was evil but claimed to be a prophet of God.

All of these responses rely on a certain degree of faith, as since no one was there who is posting now, we cannot report from a firsthand perspective.

11. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

thank you Mathetais, and this topic was posted just for you, :) but i thought i'd get everyone's views as well.

also this topic was not actually inspired by the accounts of Moses as written in the Bible, but rather the "6th and 7th Books of Moses".

Mathetais.... have you heard of or read the aforementioned text?

12. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Through Moses, God performed miracles. Through pharoah's sorcerers, Satan performed feats as well. That's how it is presented in the Bible, and that's how I feel. I also believe all one has to do is ask for wisdom and discernment from God when it comes to understanding the Bible despite translation to grasp the intended meaning. With a clear mind and good intentions, all you need to do is ask God and insight will be provided. And that can override any "discrepancy" or "fudging" in translation and at the same time allow you to believe without "following blindly".

Also, this was mentioned:

"How do you know? ever been in hell??
    Maybe it´s even more rewarding than heaven."

For one, God promises it won't be pretty. I take His Word for it. Secondly, Satan has limited reign on this earth. In Hell Satan has full reign (except when Jesus steps in, as He did by dying on the cross, descending into Hell, and then ascending into Heaven). If you think life is bad and can be harsh, just get a load of Hell. Here on earth Satan is limited to what he can do to you because of God's overriding authority and protection (whether you believe in Him or not.) But once this grace period comes to an end and you still don't follow God, then you have only one other entity to follow, and that's Satan. And then you're in his hands. And knowing that he iniated and is in part responsible for the decay and destruction of mankind, means that eternity with him won't be pretty at all.

13. Morgoth

Media:
    And do you follow God or Satan?

You prob answer God, but how do you know?
    Satan hides from us through our ignorance, who can ever suspect God to be evil, aren´t we ignorant on that part?

14. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Never heard of them. Got a link, I'd love to read up on them.

:good:

15. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Mathetais... i don't know if they're posted anywhere online, but i'll look. I purchased the book from a company called "Hamilton Supply" and i'm not sure if they have a site or not, once again, i'll look.

in regards to the text, supposedly these two "books" were originally intended to be included in the Bible but were left on the editing room floor. by who or why i'm not sure.
    However this text deals directly with wizardry and Demonology and even (though not very detailed) instruct the reader in the art of summoning demons.

Still interested? or is this another hornet's nest ;)

16. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

"in regards to the text, supposedly these two "books" were originally intended to be included in the Bible but were left on the editing room floor."

More proof that not just anything is allowed to make it's way into the Bible. I believe the Bible is accurate.

17. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Depends on the intentions and goals of the person or group that is deciding what's in and what's out.

18. Morgoth

Media:
    And with the old Roman Church and the Jewish priests as editors, the bible gets more inacurrate than people claim...

19. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

It is absolutely certain that the Bible and generally every script that was written in the early cristian times (during or near the time Jesus lived) was submitted to censorship by the Churches (all of them). They all tried to present things in a way more suited to their beliefs. :eek:
    But some incidents could not be changed i.e. the Old Testament has not so many recent changes due to the fact that is indeed the written history of the Jewish nation. The Churches didn't change something that would not affect their beliefs in any way since it is reffering to the time before Jesus was born :)

20. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

BTW, the gospels were written years after Jesus died. His followers believed the second coming was soon. When it became apparent that it wasn't they started putting it in writing. This is one reason that I don't take everything in the Bible literally.

Also would it matter to you that the gospel of John, for example, was written by at least five different people?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.