1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Monogamy

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Feb 23, 2003.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Morgoth, you have a stunning ability to confuse the daylights out of me :p Once again I will ask for clarification -- are you saying mormons in particular are racist? I don't remember learning to scream "go burn some niggah monkeys" in my Sunday School classes! I only ask because you said that you were picking on America because it has "mormoncity" in it -- mormon influence = racism?

I think you be yanking old Depaara's chain :p

As for polygamy, the studies I saw described in the documentary I saw analyzed the effects of the practice in ancient societies. There was nearly always a favorite and nearly always jealousy. Women became viewed not so much as persons but as property, with status going to the man who had the most wives or concubines.
    Perhaps a utopian polygamous system could be created, as Amon-Ra suggests. But I doubt it.

2. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

If you have the sex drive for it, polygamy is seriously nice.

Or at least, that's why David Koresh said.

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    *ahem*

to make things clear for Depaara..

I´m not against polygamy, if you want to marry mutiple partners, go ahead...

But I think it is somewhat weird for a country, that it is illegal to marry mutiple partners, because it would have any detrimental effect on society, but still it is legal to form racist groups as the KKK, while that too has a detrimental effect on society..

The only reason I pick on the US, is because it has (AFAIK) the biggest mormoncommunities.. The rest of the world has too those silly idiotic laws forced upon by the moronic herd

4. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

My uncle, the polygamist, was frequently visited by Mormon pastors who were fascinated that he was so "successful" at being openly married to multiple women. He said the one question they all asked was some variation on, "don't they band together to nag you to death?". As far as I could tell, the answer was "YES!". I thought it was funny that Mormons, who of all people should have been supportive of him, were the ones quickest to recognise that the idea of multiple wives was slightly frightening. Must be stories they heard about tyrannical multiple grandmas that did it. :lol: FYI the uncle lived in rural Australia where the government apparently has better things to do than interfere with family life. By the way, Depaara, I hope you don't think I'm being disrespectful of Mormons here. I'm not. Just recognising that they might have a better understanding of the downside of polygamy compared with men who have no such experiences in their family history. ;)

Someone brought up the issue of jealousy, but in truth, not everyone is particularly jealous. Many couples "swing" without it leading to divorce or strife. I don't want to share the particular man I married, but I had open relationships with my previous partners and was never bothered by jealousy of their other lovers. But then I guess that's why I didn't marry them. In a lot of cases, with very high-maintenance men, being the "other woman" is a lot more fun and less trouble than being his primary partner who bears the brunt of his emotional baggage and neediness. My point is that I think you can form a long-term relationship with someone, even a lifetime relationship, without needing to have an exclusivity contract. It depends on the individuals involved, the amount of attention each needs, and the way they relate to each other.

5. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"My point is that I think you can form a long-term relationship with someone, even a lifetime relationship, without needing to have an exclusivity contract. It depends on the individuals involved, the amount of attention each needs, and the way they relate to each other."

I agree. But I'd like to also just mention that there are diseases which specifically deter me from that kind of thinking.

But I do look forward to the day when that's not an issue; nor pregnancy. I think there will be a lot fewer "feminists", simply because they don't feel as sexually repressed.

Sex causes so many problems, and ironically, it is it's own solution.

6. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

7. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hey! Those are the scientists I was talking about earlier! Thanks, Elios.

I now realise my ex-boyfriend was not a jealous freak. He was an Idaho ground squirrel!

8. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

*Gasp* Geez, Sprite, my husband was too! There must be more of little buggers running around than we had thought!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.