1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Kerry or Bush

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Shoshino, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I understand that if Bush wins, Tony Blair has promised to undo another button on his shirt. If it's a landslide, he will breast-feed his infant on BBC. Just another reason to vote for Kerry.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I have no great illusions about a major change in US foreign policy when Kerry is elected -- too much damage has been done by Bush Jr. to force Kerry to stay in Iraq for a while ... be it only to counter the predictable republican lamenting not to "abandon Iraq".

I have no great illusions about Kerry being a dove. He simply isn't. His Vietnam service record suggests that he probably is more hawkish than Bush. But that doesn't concern me actually because Kerry has a major advantage over Bush:

He thinks, listens and decides based on thought and consultation rather than gut feeling or faith.

I found an interesting article from the New York Times Magazine by Ron Suskind:
    ... as if that wasn't creepy enough already -- it's getting outright scary with this quote from a whitehouse employee that seems to reflect the esprit de corps there:
    Who needs reality when he has true faith and visions? In Iraq that approach didn't really work all THAT well ... and not even the faith of several million Americans was able to conjure up the desired WMD in Iraq (as for their minds, that's something else) ... and as for me, nothing bad about praying, but I have never passed an exam based on faith alone. Life doesn't work that way.

Kerry is simply the more rational choice and that alone will make me sleep calmer -- if he is elected.

3. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    you know, that hip hop poll above has been mentioned to me before, and ive found it strange that weeks ago when i looked at it the poll results were exactly the same

4. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Nader. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a clue.

5. Cernak Gems: 12/31

Ragusa, your post is stunning. I guess the trick is finding the right quotes. In a post to yet another election question I noted that Pat Robertson, the TV evangelist, said that he was a little frightened by Bush's total sense of rightness; then he endorsed him. They see, but they fear to draw the conclusion. At the risk of being called a fear-mongerer I'll mention another famous person who trusted his instincts totally and believed he could forge a new reality by force. That would be Adolph Hitler.

[ October 26, 2004, 05:25: Message edited by: Cernak ]

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    An interesting article from Le Monde Diplomatique, titled: What’s the matter with West Virginia?

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I wonder how long it will take for the "Don't blame me, I voted for Bush" bumper stickers to to hit stores nation wide if Kerry gets elected. I'd buy one...Kerry is an idiot! :rolling:

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I wouldn't buy any bumper stickers yet. Realistically, it seems that Kerry needs to make a clean sweep of Ohio, PA and Florida to win the election. While it is in the realm of possibility it appears unlikely. So it would seem that YOUR idiot is safe to win.

9. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

If Kerry is an idiot, then I shudder to think what kinds of invective Dubya deserves. The man and his administration are a threat to the stability of the world. To turn the right's rhetoric back on itself, they need to be excised like the cancer they are.

Sure, the left is often completely out of touch with reality, but Bush seems to believe he's been touched by divine providence. A man who can justify anything in the name of a greater power is dangerous, all the more so if he runs the most powerful country on the planet.

10. Cernak Gems: 12/31

I live in one of the most depressed areas in Ohio. Our county, Morgan, regularly leads the state in number of unemployed, and has done so for years. One of the few remaining factories just moved itself to the Philippines. Health care is a joke; they get sick and die. And still the Bush signs sprout like thistles on the hills. But this year there are a lot of Kerry signs too, quite a few really. Hope among the thistles; so hang in there and keep fighting.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.