1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Is there too much Spam on Sorcerer's Place?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Errol, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Well; my dear Damona:

Spam is there to get us... Too bad.

I wouldn't complain if there weren't too many Spammers or maybe we have too few high quality Spammers?

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Spam is a pretty big problem around here, IMHO. There are a lot of serious posts that have potential for interesting conversation that are disturbed by plenty of pointless, if not sometimes humorous, spam. Indeed, we're up to our necks in spam here.

3. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I agree more along the lines of Tal. This problem is not as bad as some of you are making it out to be with these "woe is me" statements like we're up to our necks in spam :rolleyes:

There really isn't anymore than there used to be. The problem is the recent bragging about it, and spam about spam. The disturbing fact is that spam is beginning to get treated (by some recent posters) like it's ok to do even beyond a regular basis and to the extreme of every post. I think that's what really has people upset. There's not really much more spam then there used to be, it's just getting talked about and bragged agout more so that people perceive that there is more spam.

So what's got to go is this bragging about spam and being more reasonable about what you post. The Random Babbling Thread is a great thread to put forth an idea that really isn't worth making a whole new topic about but still is worth putting out there. If numerous posters express interest in this idea, than a new topic which expounds upon it could be created and that would be ok. But getting rid of the Random Babbling Thread is a big mistake. And the mods do a good job of putting a stop to conversations in this thread and directing people towards pm or chatroom for that. By converstation I mean a good 3+ posts in a row between just two or three posters in a short period of time.

And Whatnots is just as its always been, any given Whatnots frontpage gives you a few posts on serious topics (i.e. What did you do to Remember 9/11, Wars: Are they good or bad?, foreign socities, Wednesday the 11th of September.) Note that The Remembering of 9/11 and Wed, 11th of September could have been combined to the effect of what are your thoughts on the upcoming September 11th and what do you plan to do? This way you knock out two birds with one stone and is more efficient. But back to types of Whatnots topics: you'll always have some relevant social posts (i.e. Retrospect-What I Learned, What do you admire most?, Popularity, Homosexuality: Good or Bad?, When did you loose your virginity?, Commitment, Misery, and Angry/Annoyed?). Note again that maybe Angry/Annoyed could have stayed in the Misery topic discussion. Then you've got your political topics as always: (America bombs Canadians, Is Bush a Moron?, Greece goes Insane). Then you have your likes/dislikes/hobbies topics which are a great way to get to know people on SP: (Any Athletes?, SW A New Hope Classic Moments, Anyone like classical music?). Then you have your tests and fun posts, always a good thrill: (How Intelligent Are You?, Police Investigate a Rodent in a Roadster, got a good joke?, Game: Who's your favorite celebrity?, The perfect plan...sort of).

Basically Whatnots is a great way to get to know other posters and to provide a place for that on the boards. For example, in the What did you do for 9/11 topic I learned that Shralp drives a motorcycle. Well I never knew that! But thanks to Whatnots and that topic I now do. Further involvement leads to pm and chatroom. But there has to be a place for it on the boards because it shouldn't be in the gaming forums.

So the people bragging about spamming and getting it out of hand need to back off and re-evaluate their posting and just be smart about how and what they post. And the people freaking out and making "doom to SP" statements need to chill out and listen to classical music, play games on their Mobile phones, drink Coke or Pepsi, and/or write some Fan Fiction :p .

4. Astra Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'm fairly new here, but so far I think this board and its admins have done an excellent job of keeping everything on-topic. Most of the other boards I've visited have threads that fall apart after 2 or 3 posts because spammers start filling them with irrelevant crap.

I've noticed the threads in Whatnots tend to have more "irrelevant" comments, but I think the nature of that group of forums sort of lends itself to that. Seems to be a place to go just to have informal conversation when you don't feel like talking about a particular game.

I just wanted to put my two cents in (I expect change) and let everyone know what a great place this is. Keep up the good work.

5. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

To be fair, my first post may have come off as whiny.

These boards, have always been and still are, head and shoulders above your typical board. Tal and the rest of the mods run a clean, strict ship. There's not too much farming, no bumping, little flaming (though a good flame fest is entertaining once in awhile), and the mindless drivel is kept on a relatively short leash. I'm just spoiled, that's all. When I want to be reminded how inane some boards can get, I just head over to the VN Wintersebb boards. *shudder*

It has been getting out of hand, a little, with people posting just to have the last word, or make nonsensical remarks. See Shadowhunter's comeback to my post, for an example. First, my post didn't require a response, and second, am I the only one who totally didn't get what he was saying?

Everyone's guilty of a little spamming now and again, myself included, but it seems to be more focused around a certain few people, lately.

I also agree with Big B, in that the spamming about spamming, and it becoming a trophy thing is just enhancing the whole mess.

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    /me feels so very lowly

I have no idea what caused me to spam that much lately... mass hysteria, I think... Now, in retrospect, I see what a damn fool I was... such a moron.

Yes, there is too much spam. And the spam has also lost it's quality.

Once, everything in SP was done with finesse and skill, producing an unmatched quality... even spam. Now? We get thirteen-in-a-dozen spam stuff all the time. It doesn't really work like that...

Yeah, too much spam all right.

Ara
    (Hmmm.... I need to write stuff...)

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] This reminds me of old people moaning about how everything was so much better in the "olden" days. Not really, folks. It's hardly any different today. The only difference is that these days more people post in Whatnots (and some of them younger), than they did back then. The ratio of good posts vs. spam is pretty much equal to the golden "olden" days you have such fond memories of.

So instead of sounding like a bunch of grannies and grandpas on their deathbed, go to Whatnots and contribute either good new threads, or make good replies to existing good threads. Ignore spam, and it'll diminish. If all you do is keep talking about it you're just creating some imaginary Spam Monster in your head that's not there in reality.

8. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Just a note here;
    I did in no way complain about the lack of Moderating, or the spammy-ness of these Boards. I do in fact, think these are the best Game-boards on the net, and it was just me being picky.
    Hmmm...I'm not about being called a granny, but maybe I will post some new topic...hmmm?
    Anyway, keep up the good work!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.