1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Infinity engine poll

Discussion in 'Playground' started by AlexGK, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

There is nought wrong with the old IE, I just feel that it needs to be advanced even more.

2. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Nutrimat, that's what I was saying.

They have the resolution locked at 800x600. It's always 800 pixels by 600 pixels.

So, on a 1600x1200 resolution, that 800x600 "box" will take up the middle 50% of the screen.

True 1600x1200 would fill the entire screen at that resolution, but, you'd have to do *all* the graphics at that level, and then scale it down when someone wanted a lower resolution. Which would take extra processing power, which they don't want because it locks them out of the lower end market.

3. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Hmm... The majority of people seem to like the IE, and so do I. just a few minor tweaks and it will be a perfect engine for CRPG:s.
    Who cares about ultrs-cool graphics anyway?

4. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

What about 3-rd Edition i INCOMPATIBILITY crap?Is that so hard fot them to repair?

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I've voted to trash everything.

The main problem in Infinity Engine is absence of universal REMOVE effect - this is the source of permanent effects bugs. If the effect doesn't have a countereffect in IE, you simply can't remove it. An übercrap if you ask me.
    Second bad thing is too much hard-coded stuff. Ok, IE was not ment to support modding, but still...
    Third serious problem is gamesaving. Due to certain "abilities" of IE, the game doesn't store
    temporary objects in the saved game.

If you ask for 3D engines, so far the best one I've seen was Anachronox one, but even that one had few childhood diseases. If you want to ask me for Aurora, please don't. I don't want to be banned from SP. ;)

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Ex, you obviously know a bit about the actual engine code. And I can't say I do.

Is it something that is better to fix by starting from stratch? Or making some massive changes? Adding and deleting?

Sounds like to do mods you'd have to start completely over.

And what IS Aurora? I mean, is it an engine that's in development? Is it a old game?

7. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Ejsmith, aurora is the toolset for nwn. It allows the user to create a module, using the nwn engine.

8. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

For some reason, I feel really stupid now. God, I think I'm going to go hide in my closet...

*whew*

9. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I would like to say that in addition to the IE, I also really like the engine used in Dungeon Seige. I know some people don't like the game, and I'm not saying anything about that because it's been discussed elsewhere. But I really like the DS engine, especially the terrain and outdoor environments. The camera is really easy to control also. You can easily swoop around during fights or any other time, quickly zoom in and out, etc. The one thing I don't like about it: the map covers too small of an area to be of much help.

The Aurora engine is not that bad, but, well, it feels kinda clumsy and blocky, and feels as if the environments were all made with small tiles. Which I guess they are. For example, none of the NWN levels, including user made ones that I've seen, are very large at all, and most of them are square in shape. No odd sizes or shapes, no neat things like the spiral staircases in DS, the platforms, or the HUB portals. It makes everything feel canned and artificial, not realistic at all. An engine of the future? Hope not!

[ November 24, 2002, 05:44: Message edited by: Nutrimat ]

10. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Partly right but aurora is actually just the name of the engine used in nwn.

Im with IE all the way. NWN had so much promise but they went for graphics and easy ways to get big sales rather than actually making an RPG for RPgamers. It was the sensible thing for them to do, the amount of time and money put into NWN was such that they couldn't honestly afford to let it go dud as it inevitably would've. RPG is a bigger market but it's still the quick, no-brainer, hack/shoot 'em up where the big cash is act. NWN took the path of money over actually producing what could have been and excellent RPG. Well that's what happens in this greedy world of ours.

11. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

@lazy Bonzo,
    Sad, but true.... NWN is the first so called RPG that I've not finished yet.what's rather strange because it's actually short in game hours needed to finish.Instead I started BG2 over again... and then IWD 2 came out.What's more strange my brother is a great Diablo fan and he didn't finish it either :(

@Extremist,
    wow man you allmoust made me sorry for my vote :D but of what i've seen till now Infinity Engine style is most liked rather than 3D one (Aurora like).Can't they remake it someway - not entirely new but still new?Cose of that what I see in IWD2 there isn't much ground for improvement in the old one.How old is it actually?Fallout was the first game that used it, correct?So 6 years?Can't remembes another engine used so long like IE.Somebody correct me if i'm wrong :confused:

12. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

AlexGK i believe that Baldurs Gate was the first game to use the infinity engine, not fallout.

13. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Yeah, FO isn't infinity.

But it's close. I bet infinity is based off of FO.

Either way, I'd like to see them revampt Infinity. If they want to get crazy, they can make a "zoom in/out" function, so you can literally see the entire area map or just 2 or 3 different characters. That would be nice, even if it wasn't a "full function" zoom. If it was just a 2 or 3 position zoom. All the way out, all the way in, and standard.

And a "loot all". That loot all needs to be in there like drunks in a German pub. All over, and all the time. Loot all rules like no other single option in any other RPG to date.

Dungeon Siege is worth buying, just because of the loot all key.

14. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

Yup my mistake Fallout series are not Infinity...
    Regardless that it's 5 years old :D :D :D Still a record if you ask me :p

15. lasgalen Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

IE games are about the only ones i can play on my combination of outdated video card + windows xp, so i like 'em.

16. Tarol'azh a.k.a.Tobias Banned

[​IMG] I have to admit that 3d like NWN is pretty cool, but I'm still attached to IE games.

17. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

Thing is, IMHO, when they concentrate thamselves on good graphic they allways "forget" the other parts of one good game and especially gameplay.If they delay the game because of story or something it does not pay back - visually good games come every day out....See on the other half Duke Nukem 4ever - how much?5 Years since they started it?Or were 6, can't remember any longer :mad: :D :mad:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.