1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Infinity engine poll

Discussion in 'Playground' started by AlexGK, Nov 21, 2002.

1. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Not sure where to post this but I'm sure it'll be removed if it's wrong here :D
    So the simple question is:Do you like Infinity Engine (graphic sound and so on...),or think that its old enough and must be replased (with 3D engine like NWN perhaps).

[ November 21, 2002, 13:33: Message edited by: AlexGK ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 47 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Infinity engine (47 votes.)

Infinity engine (Choose 1)
    * Infinity Engine roxxx all the way - 87% (41)
    * Infinity engine suxx, can't stand the looks of it - 0% (0)
    * I prefer rather 3D - 11% (5)
    * All i've seen till today must be trashed :D :D :D - 2% (1)

2. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I have liked all the IE games but the engine does need improvements (pathfinding and group formations especially).

The detail of the maps is so much better than what you find in 3D games and there is no repetition either. For the foreseeable future this will always be a problem with 3D games.

I think it would be almost impossible to make a 3D engine which could have the same level of detail as the IE engine allows and deliver the kind of gameplay we are used to.

3. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The Infinity Engine just can't be beat, it has everything you need, and still looks awesome.

4. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

On improvements i can add the spellcasting outlooks - all spells from one school have same casting effects (ok fast all) - same words(sounds), same colour is logic, but different cast "clouds" would be wellcome

[ November 21, 2002, 13:43: Message edited by: AlexGK ]

5. Mauricio Eiji Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Yeah, I mean "Vita Mortis Carriata" does everything! It seems rather simple, the spellcasters say the same thing in level 1 spells and level 9! Also, the character animations should be improved, for example, the monk seems awfully clumsy for a martial arts master. And the images of the equiped items should match their inventory images. Other than that I think the engine is great, and the best part is you don't have to have a very good computer to run the games.

6. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

But actually there seems to be an improvement on the avatar outlook sice BG2.More items look different - like the moonblade.Point is "not enough" haha.Diablo 2 like.....

7. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The EI is the best engine for RPGs (Aurora go home) but they should change the monk animation to the bg2 one, and also change scimitars to look like scimitars instead of longswords.

8. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

time changes and outdated things have to be replaced.

3d is the way to go as our computers will only get better and better. however, when introducing 3d, remember that it is 3d. don't do games that has 3d look but no 3d content. meaning, if making a 3d game, they have to bring in 'jumping skills', 'tremor doesn't effect flying monsters' and so on.

i cannot agree that infinity is the best for rpg because i had equal fun while playing BG series and final fantasy 7. i had great fun in infinity but there is always a time when infinity has to retire or at least upgrade.

9. Sylvan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I think the IE is fantastic.
    I can only think of minor improvements that could be added.
    The engine is fine - just tweak it little

10. Dreamagi Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

About the Infinity Engine, I think it's fine, of course, still got room for improvement. i don't like games in 3D as much, unless it's a first person shooter. Because when I look at games like Age of Mythology, compared to Age of Empires, I think that 3D just doesn't make the game any better looking because most 3D graphics are still blockish. And like even with Black & White, I think it was quite difficult to get used to the navigation in the 3D world.

However, I think with that extra computing power that we have today, I think animations could use even more frames, and more variety. Like have you seen Street Fighter 3 compared to Street Fighter 2? The animations are more fluid because the game designers bothered to spend more time on additional animation refinement.

11. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, I'm with the Infinity as well.

NwN I hate strictly because of the 3d. 85% of the time, I couldn't see the monsters, who I was up against, couldn't control my NPC with hotkeys, ended up clicking on a door instead of the chest I was trying to open.

It was a terrible experience.

And yet, Dungeon Siege was an excellent experience. It took a little time to get used to the camera, of course, but overall it was 85% headache free. There were moments where I needed a brick for the monitor, but I took another drink and kept my patience.

The ONE thing I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IN THE INFINITY ENGINE, is the "loot all" key.

Anyone played Dungeon Siege? And you hit the "loot all", and everyone in your party just scatters and picks up every single thing in sight. Everytime they pick something up, the AI recalculates for the line of sight. So if you have left a trail of bodies all the way back to the beginning of the level, they will just follow the Gold Road all the way back.

There have been several thousand times that I would have loved to use this. Imagine owning the entire enemy fort in IwD2, and just hitting "loot all", and everyone's inventory is automatically stuffed with everything possible.

The only other thing I would like to see is the resolution bumped up. Rather than locking it at 800x600, I'd like to see it at 1280x1024 or 16x12. If you play at 16x12, and you have "full screen" turned on, the game window only takes up the center portion of the screen. There's a border around it.

So, there are a few tweaks to make. I like Dungeon Siege, but Infinity is where it's at, baby...

12. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

I just hope somebody from bioware\black isle reads this poll and sees the results.....
    Made this poll because NWN was for me the second disappointment this year along with Heroes of Might and Magic IV.People say - don't repair what's not broken...... Just wanted to know what others's opinion is.

[ November 22, 2002, 05:31: Message edited by: AlexGK ]

13. Dreamagi Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

About Game Engines, I wonder what ever happened to Virtual Reality? I mean I remember back in the 90s I wa always watching sci-documentaries on how VR viewing glasses will be affordable and will become the next in thing for the new millenium, and now, I still don't see a single pair that's on the market (Sure, Nintendo had that ugly pair of red goggles, with poor graphics, and that's why you don't see it being used now).

I still think that the idea of VR is cool, and it's actually quite doable in todays world, with the computing power that we got, the the lower cost of manyfacturing. So, when will we "experience" holding up a Bastard Sword and hack our way through AD&D worlds?

14. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I have really liked the IE games. They are just me. I really hope that in future BIS or whoever else, come up with games like it, if not in IE, at least with its newest baby brother. I don't think that I would trade a party of 6 for a single "3D" game that sort of looks like Quake 3!

I like the versatility of the party over the single character. I don't think that I'll rush out to get NWN, but I will always rush out to buy BG3,4 etc and IWD3, 4 and up!

15. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I love the IE games. Actually, NWN pales in comparison to IWD2. To much graphics, not enough thought.

Cheers.

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] If it's a general poll about all IE games, it should be in The Playground. Moving.

17. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I just hope that IWD2 won't be the last game with the infinity engine. It's probably possible to buy the rights to it when nobody else want to make use of it. So let's hope someone does that, cause I am sure there are plenty people who would still buy a good infinity engine game.

I would really like to see a saga like Baldur's Gate again, allthough I probably won't.... :(
    To me that is the best game ever made, or atleast the one that has consumed the most time from my life.

18. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

So I suppose that's the end of it - poll moved.At 25 voted.See if somebody votes here....

Regardless it's clear what the results are - viva Infinity!!!Viva Balgurs gate X\IWD X!!!
    Must finish NWN someday....

19. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I always check the playground and whatnots.

I just don't always bump every topic.

20. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

What everyone else said. Improvements in animation and maybe a higher resolution, but keep the IE. One thing that I don't like about higher resolutions is that usually it doesn't actually add more detail. For instance in Nox and Roller Coaster Tycoon, when you bump it to 1024 x 768, it just makes the graphics smaller, and the playing field bigger. This makes the characters harder to see. I'd like to see everything stay the same size on higher resolutions, but be more detailed.

Does the new Lionheart game use the IE?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.