1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: How incorrect is your English?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by chevalier, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

No lich-hunting RPG player would ever get sarcophagus spelt incorrectly.

Consistently scored 60-66% so I voted for 6. I'm surprised... I thought I'd be better at english. Although I have to admit the second spelling test had 4-5 words that I've never seen before, so...

2. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

9/10

14/15

13/15

8/10

'Nuff said :cool:

3. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    8, 10, 3 :eek: , and 7 respectively.

4. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Manus:
    They also manage something along the same lines later on in that quiz. Minuscule and miniscule are the options, and after answering that one correctly, I consulted my dictionary. I was right, and both are perfectly valid.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Minuscule is the original right one. Miniscule, though listed by some dictionaries is allowed at best, but not really right. Perhaps it's a result of pronunciation mess.

6. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

8/10
    13/15
    6/10
    12/15

And now a quiz in Dutch...

7. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Who got 0? :lol:

8. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Interesting. I got 8 on the first one. I messed up with that 'he acts as though he blank the coolest guy in school' one, and also the 'Andrea and blank.'

Thing is, That second one is exactly the opposite of what I've been taught every year in grammar class. As far as I know, the quiz is wrong. Whoa...

9. chevalier

Media:
    The second one is absolutely correct. 'I' is subject and 'me' is object. One can't say "Give it to him or I", or "Come to Sally and I", as "I" is one of the few words in English that have case forms. Therefore, it's not only the preposition that changes according to the case other than nominative. So,

"It's I" and not "It's me" - even though 99% people say "It's me".

"To him and me" and not "to him and I" - again, many people would not decline the object at all.

Teachers are humans, too. I don't believe many teachers stick to "It's I/he/she/we/they" etc.

10. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The only ones I really had incorrect was with the words I didn't know.

11. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Chevalier, dictionaries do not (well with the exception of the Scrabble ones I guess) allow or disallow words, they reflect the language as it is used. Whilst minuscule may have been first, it isn't the only one in use (and indeed a search on Google reveals significant usage of both). And as for variant spellings of words, you'll find such words as favorite (sic) showing pretty strong usage.

12. chevalier

Media:
    [​IMG] "Favorite" is perfectly legitimate in American sl.. dialect :D

As for frequent use in google, try search on the words 'definate' and 'definately' :D

Dictionaries can't force you to speak one way or another, but they sort of legitimatise poor spelling or sucking grammar when they include it as a word. In this sense they allow or disallow it. People are more likely to use not really proper forms if they find them in a dictionary, aren't they? And so people will adopt oddities into their language. Some dictionaries will strive to maintain some at least half-decent standard of moderately appropriate English, some will just collect everything you hear on the street, including "d'oh". Some will even miss the proper form if it's rarely used. Just take a random dictionary, look up 'often' and check the pronunciation they give.

[ December 16, 2003, 01:44: Message edited by: chevalier ]

13. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:

MMMM... Not so bad for a non-native english speaker eh? Considering that the only place were I really use english daily is Sorcerer's because I just don't read there I actualy (damn I can't remember if it take one or two *t*) write there too.

Me Engliss is veri good, isinit trough?

I really like my *isinit* :D :D :D

14. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] 6/10
    11/15
    5/10
    9/15

15. Trydan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

7,12,8,8 :( I could've kicked myself over the first one. I should've known them. I guess my England isn't as good as I thought it was. :rolleyes:

16. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] 7/10
    14/15
    7/10
    11/15

Oi. No comment.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.