1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Gun Ownership

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Apr 15, 2005.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I own a .22 rifle and a 4-10 shotgun. Both were gifts given to me (hence the "other" response)

I would take the guns out for some target shooting on the range or at a farm or something, so I answered "sport."

If I had the time to get to the guns (unlikely) I would cheerfully use them on some filthy bugger breaking into the house rather than sit by and wring my hands as he raped my children, so I also answered "home defense."

The whole Canadian Gun Registy fiasco has proved that taking guns away from Farmer Bob, or even just knowing that Bob has those guns, is absolutely useless for lowering crime rates in urban centres. The real solution to crime is to actually PUNISH the damn CRIMINAL instead of trying to justify his anti-social acts.

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Canadian, and I own a Beretta 9mm and looking to buy a Desert Eagle, for protection, of course. I work part time as a cellphone dealer, so I carry valuable merchandise.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Damn! One of the downsides of avoiding the AoDA and the AoLS, is that you miss threads like this! :bang:

I own a Wather P22 which I use for target practice and to a lesser extent, home protection. My little 22 cal would do enough damage to an intruder, but I might have to fire off a few extra shots to do the same thing a 9mm or a 40 cal could do.

Also, my dad just gave me his old 30-30 hunting rifle, which I haven't used yet. I hoping he'll also give me is 50 cal black powerd rifle too. :bigeyes: :thumb:

And if I ever have another $400 lying around, I would like to get a walther P99 (9mm) handgun. I wouldn't mind getting an AR 10-T carbine (.308 cal) high power rifle...but that sucker costs aver $1000! :eek:

Oh and DotW, a Desert Eagle is a tad too large for personal protection...especially if you plan on consealing it on your person. You aren't 'Robo-Cop' no matter how much you wish and pray. :rolleyes:
    You might want to take a look at the Beretta 'Tomcat' or the 'Bobcat'. They are small enough to be easily consealed...I forgot which one of the two is the .32acp and which is the .22 cal though. :rolling:

[ February 25, 2006, 01:01: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Guns... *shakes head*

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I agree with you Barmy. Whatever happened to man to man fighting ?

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Hear hear. Samurai swords are way cooler. :D

7. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I own several.

I got them when my Grandfather passed away.

Mostly 12, 20, and 16 guage shotguns....and 2 .38 calaber pistols.

The cool guns are the ones he used in WWII.
    I have his .45 Calaber 1911A Pistol and the M1 carbine and leather scabbard from the side of his tank.

I'm not a big hunter, but I have nothing against it. What I like to do, but haven't in years, is just go shoot. There is nothing quite like going to the pistol range and blasting away at some targets.

I also use to go to my friends place in NC and shoot 5 stand clay pidgeons. He also had a sporting clay range which was awesome...kinda like playing golf with a shotgun.

8. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

At the risk of being pedantic, lets quote the second amendment quote in it's full glory:

On the grounds that a "well regulated militia" is no longer necessary for the "security of a free state". I would argue that the right of the people to bear arms can now be infringed. As it stands: (From Wiki)

And therefore:

Seems merely a means of ensuring this. Hey, it might even mean that the burglar in your home doesn't have a firearm to shoot back at you with, having failed the test due to him being a convicted criminal.

9. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

Samurai swords are for posers. European swords are far nicer. Anyway, nothing beats a Dane-Axe.

10. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I have previously served a term in the army, but I have no interest in guns. I don't fear for my life every day and I don't need a gun to make up for other areas :p I really feel sorry for anyone that feels that they need a gun for protection.

Irelands King Brian Bora slaughtered the Danes so I shall stick to my 'La Tène' sword over a samurai anyday.

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    You would still need to amend the US Constitution if the authorities should be allowed to infringe upon that right. Amending the Constitution takes a two-thirds majority in both the House and the Senate, plus approval by three fourths of the states.

The constitution still explicitly names gun ownership as a right: "... the right of the people to own and carry arms ...". So, it's not a matter of the necessity for a militia, or whether anything should be infringed. Gun ownership is, or at least was to the Founding Fathers, a right.

If the 2nd Amendment were cancelled by a new amendment, it would not necessarily give the federal government a right to legislate on gun ownership. Unless a new amendment were to grant such right to the federal government, gun legislation would be left to the several states:

Amendment X
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

;)

Added - @Cúchulainn:

Brian Boru did beat off the Danes (AFAIR: in 1014, at Clontarf), but I seem to remember he lost his head in the process? Beware sharp swords! :)

12. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Well, I'm speaking for my whole family, but we have a whole bunch of stuff. My dad loves black powder. We have a 22 rifle, a 30-30, at least 2 other hunting rifles, about a dozen revolvers, most BP. We have a Macrov 9mm, two long bows, a crossbow, three katanas, a bastard sword, a waved blade (kind of barbarian style bastard sword) several rapiers, a gladius, three hunting knives, two short swords, umm, anything else? I'll have to check to be sure, but I think that's it. Oh, and the shotgun, but it doesn't work. And my dad makes his own bullets. Feel free to run if you want.
    Man I wish there were an arms&armaments emoticon, kind of like that Swordopolis thing from 8-bit theatre.

13. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The idea for the Bill of Rights was first suggested by Thomas Jefferson. He made the suggestion to James Madison after the Constitution had been ratified. There was really no need for a Federal standing army at the time that the Bill of Rights was crafted. The Continental Army had largely been disbanded after the signing of the Treaty of Paris in 1783. There had been a few small rebellions, such of the Whiskey Rebellion, and the idea of an army was again suggested, mostly pushed by Alexander Hamilton and the High Federalists.

The problem, to Jefferson and Madison, was that such an army could - as had been suggested during the Whiskey Rebellion - be used against its own population, American citizens. The idea horrified them. Their solution of course was a local miltia, made up of average citizens, who would have the right to bear arms and protect the frontiers of America, WITHOUT the need for a federal army. But America now has a large, professional standing army. And it is still every citizen's right to bear arms under the Bill of Rights, and probably should remain so. But the notion that guns cannot be regulated in someway, which certainly has happened in many instances, does not square with the orginal intent of the Bill of Rights, given its true historial perspective, IMO.

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    NOG, I like the sound of your family!

I generally agree that a sword is "cooler" than a gun on the basis that it takes more skill to wield and effectivly use a sword.

It's still around, and is gaining more popularity. It's called the 'UFC' ("Ultimate Fighting Championship" IIRC) here, and basically involves any type of fighting style...except for the "go for the groin" fighting style. :shake:

Anyway, getting back on to the subject of guns, I've really had my heart set on this black powder beauty: Cattleman's .44 Caliber Carbine

As fro the other two guns I mentioned before, here they are:

AR - 10-T
    Walther p99

I've been talking with my fiancé and now she wants both of these beauties:
    Walther PPK/S (James Bond's gun)
    Beretta Tomcat (3032 Inox)
    Heh...pistols and most rifles don't qualify for *that*, but these do:
    RPG
    .55 Cal "British-boys" anti-tank rifle :eek: :rolling:

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

One of the few areas in which I agree wholeheartedly with Barmy (and Cucchulain). How you can all obsess over instruments designed purely to destroy someone's life is beyond me.

16. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I have rather a few guns. I have 3 .22 caliber rifles(inherited one from dad and another from an uncle, plus the one I got when I was 16). I also have a 12 gauge and 20 gauge shotgun, a 30/30, and my personal favorite, a 1939 Italian Carcano carbine chambered for 7.35 caliber. The shells are quite hard to find,and cost $40 for a box of 20, but it is a functioning peice of history and I hope to get a deer with it this fall.

17. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    In that sense, I really agree with you HB. Still, I don't see a problem with other people having an interest in weapons. I don't own any kind of gun myself, especially since I have small children, and they are dangerous to have laying about. But I don't see why people can't collect them as they would any other kind of collectable. Yet, I agree with you from a humanitarian point of view.

[ March 01, 2006, 01:24: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

18. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Own none, and never plan to own any more than that. If the day comes that I feel compelled to own or carry a working firearm, it will be a sad one indeed for me.

Ever since the Port Arthur massacre, and probably for some time before that in most states, a desire to own a firearm has been seen as an abnormal and somewhat unsettling tendency in urban Australia. Rural and outback areas are a different story, where firearms have a much more utilitarian purpose.

I can understand a historical collection - so long as they're incapable of being used as effective weapons (pistol-whipping notwithstanding). I can understand an appreciation for fine craftsmanship. I can't understand the desire to open fire, or of wanting to pull a trigger and end a creature's life.

Of course, that's a different topic entirely.

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That is definitely the case in NZ too. Anyone who lives in a city and has guns would be looked at very strangely.

20. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Well, I don't live in the outback, but lets just say that the trees outnumber the people 20 to 1 where I live. As for ending another creatures life, I've killed far more tin cans and paper targets, than animals.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.