1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Greatest American

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jun 6, 2005.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Ahem - the thread and poll is about people. You can discuss their beliefs and contributions (or lack thereof). However, please do not voyage off into the land of attacking or defending a religion here. Thanks.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Interesting results. I'm amazed to see no votes for Rosa Parks, while Martin Luther King leads the pack (but then I'm guilty of voting that way, too). Without Rosa, there would have been no Martin (his protests started with the arrest of Rosa Parks). I guess that ultimately it was his death that brought so much change.

A few people missing from the list:
    Richard Nixon -- incredible diplomat and signed title IX (which has truly changed America).
    Jackie Robinson/Branch Rickey -- they changed sports and advanced the civil rights movement at least a decade.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower or Douglas MacArthur -- certainly their contributions as military men should have put them on this list.
    Harry S. Truman -- one of top presidents of all time.

Gnarf: take a deep breath ... in and out ... a few times. Besides, from a purely historical standpoint, David O. McKay would make the list long before any other past president of the church.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @T2B - Check out AOL with keyword search Greatest Americans, and you'll find many of those that you seek. There are a great many presidents on the list of top 100, just very few in the top 25. In addition the Eisenhower and Truman, you'll also find Nixon, Carter, Jackson, and others. Robinson is also on the list, but Rickey is not.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I apologize if I sounded a little too pissed off, but the request is the same: If you are going to oppose someone's position, check your sources thouroughly. The criticism of one of the names I put forward was misrepresented in it's source. The link was to a site sponsored by an organization who's sole aim is to discredit the Church rather than their leaders as was claimed.

T2B: I am unaware of David O MacKay's contributions. I know that he was President of the Church for a number of years, but know very little of his teachings...

5. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Sorry, AFI. I must have been brain dead that day. :doh: I realized it later but we're not allowed to edit our votes. :o (At least I got to use the new smiley...)

6. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I would go for the Wright Brothers, for advances in technology, and made the world a more accessible place.

Gnarf, I was not attacking your religion, and have made my original post less vague.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    As it stands right now, our final five look to be Edison, Einstein, King, Lincoln and Washington. So that's three of the five I voted for. What my intent is, is to wait until the History Channel announces its final five (assuming they are not exactly what our final five are) and then run a poll with two questions, one for us, and one like the History Channel.

I am still somewhat on the fence with Einstein in the poll. I'm trying to reconcile how un-American he is in many ways, and whether or not he even belongs in the poll. (He will be included as that is what the results indicate - this is a personal dilemna for me.

The first part, he didn't do a lot of his most famous work within the U.S., and wasn't exactly a young man when he came to live in the U.S. His biggest contribution to the U.S. was probably his input on the atomic bomb, which is not what Einstein considers his proudest moment.

So at this point I have to look at other aspects, and I admit I don't have the answers to all of these questions. For example: Did he ever become a U.S. citizen? Did he maintain a German or Swiss citizenship simultaneously? He lived most of his later years in the U.S., so at the time of his death, would he consider himself an American? Did he wish to be buried in the U.S.? The one thing he does have going for him is he taught for several years at Princeton. Being in contact with a younger generation of Americans probably "Americanized" him to a large extent. Still, I need other things answered before coming to a conclusion.

8. Gnarfflinger

The difference a sentence makes in a post. The title of the site (chick.com) may also have something to do with the popularity (I really don't want to know what some of the visitors are really looking for). History is full of smooth talking charlatans who make their names by turning crowds against a certain minority. For the intent of this thread, I understand how such defamatory web sites can sabotage some worthy candidates. If public opinion can put some recent presidents in the top 25, then it can keep other candidated out...

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Here an interesting tid-bit regarding Einstein's famous work on the movement of molecules - some may already know this. While Franklin was in England he experimented with the movement of water quite a bit. On his voyage to England, he studied and recorded the Gulf stream. But while in England, he experimented quite a bit with the effect of oil and water. He discovered some interesting effects - that not only did oil have a calming effect on water (which everyone already knew), but that a small amount of oil could calm quite a lot of water surface.

Franklin was fond of parlor tricks. So, he devised a trick to amuse his English friends: he fashioned a small compartment in the tip of his cane and filled it with a teaspoon of oil. Then, while out walking with his friends, they all came upon a rippling pond. Franklin walked a bit in front of his friends, and standing at the edge of the pond announced boldly that he would "still the waters."

He waved his cane over the surface of the pond, releasing the tiny bit of oil and managed to calm about 1/4 of an acre of water surface, amazing his friends. What Franklin had discovered, which of course he was not fully aware of, was how to measure the size of a molecule. By dividing the amount of oil (one teaspoon) into 1/4 of a acre of water surafce, he could have predicted roughly the size of one molecule of oil (I think that's right, but I'm not really much of a math person and I am recalling this from memory).

Now, the connection to our topic is that about 150 years later, Einstein crafted a famous paper that proved the existence and measurement of molecules. Einstein is credited with being first with this, but really it was Franklin, who had first stumbled onto molecular measurement, quite inadvertently, at least according to a few books on Franklin.

[ June 11, 2005, 06:10: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bah. That's like saying because my soda exploded in the freezer, I stumbled on crystallography. Quite inadvertently.

11. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Stupid poll. There's no option for "other" and IMO there is no great americans in that list. :eek:

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I disagree. Aldeth has a good thread here. You have a good opportunity to post whomever you think would have been a good alternative to those listed. I, for one, would be curious to see whom you would have perferred...

13. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

To be fair, he's basing his choices on the History Channel.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Correct Charlie. The list isn't mine. I took it directly from the History Channel, who in turn took it from the number of nominations they received for each person in the open nomination process. So even if Lynadin would have preferred someone else and tried to nominate him, it would be unlikely that his nomination would have put him in the top 25.

So don't hate the player. Hate the game.

EDIT: Spelling, grammar

[ June 13, 2005, 22:26: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

15. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Oprah Winfrey? WTF?? You've gotta be kidding -- I hate that woman and all of the NOISE she makes. She's rich, she's popular, she's a pain in the buttinski, but whoever put her on a par with Einstein, Jefferson, Edison, and Parks is seriously whacked out.

It would be nice, though, to have some sort of criteria for greatness. Is being great:

Making a whackload of money? (Billy Gates)
    Making contributions to science? (Edison)
    Fighting against slavery? (Lincoln)
    Sleeping with your own slaves? (Jefferson, IIRC)
    Founding/propounding a religion? (Graham, Smith)
    Beating the crap out of someone? (Ali)
    Having good hand eye coordination? (Any stupid athlete)

It's a cool list and idea, and yes, we had a "Greatest Canadian" thing here a few years ago, but the whole "Greatest" concept suffers from a lack of meaningful criteria.

16. Gnarfflinger

The Greatest Canadian Contest looked at four criterion: Leadership, Intelligence, Passion and Legacy. The top ten included athletes, scientists and politicians.

The winner was a politician that introduced the Canadian Healthcare system.

17. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

#Chandos. I would have put my vote on someone like Jimi Hendrix, H.S. Thompson or maybe even Edgar A. Poe :) Now that's just my honest choice of a 'great' American. :D

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Hmmm... Interesting. I see three things in common with these three people. First, all of them were writers, although the medium was usually different (musician, columnist (although some fiction), and horror fiction). Secondly, they all were active drug users. Thirdly, they all died before their time. Out of curiousity, which of these three traits makes them a "great" American in your opinion?

[ June 14, 2005, 18:24: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

19. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hey, hey, hey ... what about Micheal Jackson or OJ?

20. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

In regards to Adleth's post.

Poe also had an affair with his 13 yearold cousin, so I am thinking (hopefully) its talent more than anything else.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.