1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Gender Bender

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Dice, Aug 18, 2005.

1. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well its NWN you're talking about here so by no means expect a guy to have all guy characters. In NWN people go through characters like cigarettes... I knew people with localvaults with like... a thousand characters in it. Back in my Uber days i had at least 50 characters... only one or two were female and those i made for people who i was sure were girls lol... YOu would actually be suprised how many girls play NWN. A lot more than any other FR game I guarantee you. Hell if I count all the friends ive ever had in NWN a third of them would be women...

2. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Interestingly enough, I was quite expecting a little more openmindedness - turns out a third don't play anything but their genders, and I'm ready to bet 90% of those people are guys.

As for myself, I sometimes play females, but never as main characters (unless I'm going solo, that is) - the reasoning is that I feel charismatic males are like alpha wolves; leaders of the pack, binding the lesser wolves under them and keeping the pack organized while getting all the females for themselves. This sort of behaviour can be applied to the "strong" males - generally the main character, as he manages to round up a party and/or a potential romance... ever notice how sidekicks never get as much loving?

True leaders are generally males -

I'm not saying women are inferior, but men tend to be "extremes" - women are generally handier and smarter than men, but the world's geniuses and charismatic people (Einstein, Hitler, John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King) are mostly males (Of course, this is speculation, as history was written by people who dominated and oppressed females for centuries). However, female heroes such as Jeanne D'Arc are also well-known, so we could say that natural leadership skills are not limited to either gender.

But the point of aesthetics is also a very good one - female voices are sweeter and relaxing, while men just rumble like a force. I'd rather have a female soundset, but as Felinoid pointed out - a man with a girl's voice is just plain wrong :mommy: .

I'd pick male simply for the consistency, though - game developpers for offline CRPGs tend to make a game directed towards a male audience/characters, while only very subtly. Online CRPGs don't really mind either, but I simply pick it because it feels more right.

Just giving my two cents.

3. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    When in Solo Rpg I tend to do 50/50 because I want to find out if the dialogue and/or quest differ. Playing a Female in Fallout 2 with '' sex appeal '' was really fun untill I formated my drive and loose everything that is.

However in online rpg (which I don't do often as I *hate* that kind o' gamming) I 95% of the time play male as it seem more honest to other players, like '' well I'm a guy so I'll play a guy ''

As for the soundset thing I don't agree, I found many male soundsets really cool and interesting to listen to. (NWN concerned that is)

I remember one time when I played a Crpg for a short time, and I only played female only because all the males avatar looked like sh**. Aesthetic is important to me!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.