1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Poll: Favourite Fantasy novel author

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Sparhawk, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Khementi Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Methinks.. Tolkien the guy who started it all kindve like Motley Crue to the 80s hair metal scene and Michael Moorcock is pretty good..

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] He said "Moorcock"!!!! LOL Sorry, needed that!

Tolkien is the undisputed master of fantasy!
    Robert Jordan is good...But let's pick it up a bit!
    I liked Piers Anthony was I was younger...Still good though.

I really liked the Dragonlance Chronicles too!

3. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] My top 3 are:
    1. Robert Jordan (anybody who can write in a way that makes me read a 800+ page book in 2 days is my no1)
    2. Pratchett
    3. Tolkein.

4. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I cannot believe how many of you rate Jordan so highly!!!!! Refer to previous rants about how he had a good story (and I agree, it WAS), spun it on into the longest drivel I can recall from any writer towards probably the end of book 4/5. The story really should have been completed in 5 volumes or so. AND his style of writing is by now just annoying.

Still, I'll pick it back up when it's complete I suppose. With 2 years between books, I suppose that might be in about 2009.

Back to the question:

1. J.R.R. Tolkien without a doubt.

2. Most of the time whatever I'm reading at the time. Honourable mentions to Steven Donaldson (and I really did enjoy the GAP series too), Piers Anthony (particularly the Adept trillogy), and George R.R. Martin.

3. Many I've enjoyed, but can't remember the names of right now.

4. NOT Robert Jordan :)

5. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Micheal Moorcock, without a doubt.
    His tales of Elric are amazing, as are the stories about the other Eternal Champions.

6. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] Tolkien, Pratchett and Jordan. They all ROCK!

7. Tiger Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Well, my top list would have to be:

1. Raymond Feist
    2. David Eddings
    3. Robin Hobb

Of course there are heaps of other, most of whom have been mentioned by others here.

8. Hardin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, with some people pitching for Michael Moorcock, I guess I'll have to look him up. :wave:

I'm a more an SF kind of guy than fantasy, so my choices would be limited. My favorite fantasy guys (no particular order):

1. T.H. White
    2. Tolkien
    3. David Eddings
    4. Stephen Donaldson
    5. Katherine Kurtz (the Deryni Chronicles)
    6. R. A. Salvatore
    7. Robert Jordan

If you would consider an SF/fantasy combo, 'd include Frank Herbert too for Dune. Julian May would also fall into this category.

On another note, the fantasy milieu of the Dark Tower series by Stephen King is also great reading. :grin: But it loses its comparative color if you don't read his other work (what with all the other allusions to his other characters), so at best horror fans would have a greater sense of enjoyment from this series. I hope he doesn't die before the series finishes, :nolinke: though it's rumored he's actually done but he hasn't decided how to put in all the other touches.

Robert Jordan up to the Dragon Reborn was marvelous reading. I agree with those who think he should have finished the series in five books. His later books fall short in pace and overall quality, so he doesn't top my list. Tolkien as the seer and prophet of this age is still tops, but what with his son probably pitching for his da to win, the newer books don't measure up to Lord of the Rings-Hobbit. :aww:

:idea: Going back to all of this, reading up on Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur (or a variant would be John Steinbeck's incomplete "The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights") would be a boost, since the Quest for the Holy Grail is the recurring theme for most fantasy novels. The Arthurian legend bred so many archetypes, but you'd have look in Celtic lore or Norse sagas for a truer sense.

Greek mythology is also great, but with all the things we have available now (and subsequent applications, alternate realities, etc.) the tales become less engaging.

See you around . . .:)

9. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Greetings folks!

Here's mine, no particular order:

Salvatore
    I don't think I've ever encountered someone who can describe close combat and swordplay so vividly. At times, I find myself enacting (or trying to) the moves his characters execute.

Greenwood
    I love the realms. And Elminster was a great break for an arch-mage, especially that "old fart Mordenkainen". hehehe. :grin: That part was from a book by Gygax, "Gord the Rogue".

Robert Jordan
    He has the ability to combine huge, worldshaking events without losing the substance of his characters, major and minor.
    Dear God! I hope he finishes the Wheel of Time!:confused:

10. FSFunky Gems: 1/31

Terry Pratchett all the way... ALL THE WAY!

,FSFunky

11. Mierin Gems: 4/31

Veteran

Hobb
    Jordan
    Modesitt

12. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Pratchett's Discworld clearly is the best among fantasy short stories then, allthough they're more like a parody on fantasy and it seems like Pratchett tries to make fun of us who are addicted to this.

13. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] J.R.R. Tolkien, He started it all!

14. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Te best is Tolkien, no doubt. The most unique is Robin Hobb. And the best fantasy world is Feist's Midkemia. Moorcock and Pratchett are also very good.

15. Silvas Gems: 1/31

1. Tolkien (duh?)
    2. Robert Jordan (he needs more books though, I read all of his in 3 weeks :)!!)
    3. George Martin (his next one is coming out christmas next year!!!!)
    4. Salvatore
    5. Weis (only above Hickman because of Soulforge)
    6. Hickman
    7. All the rest, including Douglas Niles, C. S. Lewis, et cetera

16. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] 1. Tolkien, naturally

2. Robert Jordan; I agree with some remarks on how he drags on -- but the fact that even with that I devour his books within a couple days demonstrates his incredible talent. I have to say though, he should get over his childlike fascination with nudity.

3. David Eddings; I really want to finish his series on Sparhawk, but can't seem to find them in this rural area of Arkansas.

4. Terry Brooks. I have the feeling some are going to disagree, as he hasn't been mentioned much heretofore. Eh, flame away.

5. George Lucas. Check out the Shadow War Chronicles. Also, I think the Star Wars trilogy was initially as much fantasy as sci-fi.

Anybody else I guess gets only honorable mention, except I'm not going to bother to mention them. :heh: Well, maybe a couple; CS Lewis, although I enjoy his apologetics more than the Chronicles of Narnia. I've only read the first two Drizz't novels, but Salvatore reads almost exactly like a DM adventure. Heh. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing...

I thought George RR Martin was sci-fi... what'd he write in fantasy? I've only read a bit of Weis & Hickman; enjoyed it, but I'm still kind of out of it when it comes to discussing DragonLance. Haven't read any other FR books than Drizz't 1 & 2 either. I'm thinking about looking at Tad Williams, as I've heard good things of him.

The older legends of Arthur (such as Malory's) were cool. :cool:

17. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

1. Tolkien (doh)
    2. F. Herbert (ok, more Science Fiction then Fantasy :))
    3. R.A. Salvatore

18. Mierin Gems: 4/31

Veteran

I dont understand why you all say tolkien is obviously the best.
    He isnt.
    Just because he was one of the first fantasy authors does not automatically make him the best.

19. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] The only books I've read that come close to matching the epic scale of Tolkien's series is Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, and as mentioned, Jordan has his own set of problems. Jordan is much better at sheer complex intertwining of plots, but I've never read anything that swept me up into the story and gave me chills like Tolkien's majestic trilogy.

20. FenixStrife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

In no particualar order:

tolkien (greatest books ever)
    gemmel
    eddings
    pratchett
    douglas adams (equal to tolkien)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.