1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Favorite and least favorite gem?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Felinoid, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Wow, the Sorcerer himself weighs in! Tell us, oh wise one, what are your picks?

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Err... N-Nothing, oh mighty lizard! :mommy:

Except that gems shouldn't look like chocolate wrappers. Toblerone's one of my fave confections, anyway. Mmm... nougat! :yum: I particularly enjoy the giant toblerone bars; taking a chunk off by biting alone is pleasingly feral.

And does anyone else prefer the gem graphics from IWD2? :hmm:

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Who needs individual gems when you've got a whole hoard of them? :shake:

4. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Wow! didn't realise that I had just changed gems! Awesome :)

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    When ever I play BG2, there are only three gems I bother keeping in my gem bag: Star Sapphires, King's Tears, and Rouge Stones.

I like Star Sapphires the most because Sapphire is my birth-stone, and they look cool. King's Tears come in close second, followed by Rouge Stones. :rolling:

6. Felinoid

New summary at 34 votes:

Rogue Stone and King's Tears are still tied for favorite (24%) and Star Sapphire retains a solid third (18%). Pearl has jumped from obscurity to a decent fourth (9%), while Emerald gets relegated to fifth (6%).

Least favorite remains the Tchazar gem (35%), with Turquoise (18%) and Andar (12%) keeping the second and third places, but a new challenger has entered the ring! Zircon has made its prescence known with a whopping 2 votes (6%), earning itself the title of fourth least favorite gem.

7. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I like star dipsode and least-like turquoise.

Speaking about missing gems... where is the horn corral? You know, the smallish black one?

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    My favourite is rogue stone. I have two. :p

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The gems are regular gems from BG1, and I'm pretty certain they're all listed, so I'm not sure which one you're missing.

10. Felinoid

The Horn Coral gem is like a shiny black version of the lynx eye or sunstone. CLUAConsole:CreateItem("MISC35") if you want to check it out. I think that's the only one that's missing, since IIRC there are only 31 gems in BG1.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Oh, that one... I think I left it out back then because it doesn't look good on the dark blue post background, though it's fine on the lighter one. I guess I could put it in if there was enough interest (convince me). It'd require rearranging the whole gem ranking ladder since it's a pretty low value gem, but then, too many people have the rogue stone by now, so we could raise the requirement a bit. ;)

12. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Oh yes please. Anything would be better than the current Tchazar.

It is an affront to Toberlone lovers everywhere. :shake:

13. Taluntain

Media:
    It wouldn't replace anything, it'd be added to the existing ones.

14. Felinoid

@Tal:
    Not really worth the hassle IMO; maybe if you change board styles. *shrug*

New summary at 38 votes:

Rogue Stone and King's Tears are still tied for favorite (21%) and Star Sapphire is only a vote away from making it a three-way tie (18%). Pearl and Emerald are now tied for fourth (8%).

Least favorite has not changed appreciably.

15. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

I personally think most people fave the rogue stone simply because of its value - bag o' gold & top of the 'avatar' list; the appearance is a little...muddled IMO. Better the opal if you like rainbows and irridesence. (my wife's birthstone, too :cool: )

But my favourite is the moonstone - the pattern of crystal fractures is similar to the occurence of a star in some rare 'flawed' sapphires and rubies, etc. but MUCH more diffuse, and thus the gem just seems to glow :love:

And I think I'm in with the majority on the lackluster chz...er...titch...um...tchazar. (and that awkward name doesn't help)

As Magpie said - an ugly excuse for a Toblerone bar; not even a nice colour - some dull, dirty-looking mustard shade of yellow (I know I don't want to discover what flavour of bar that holds! :grin: ) To cut such a poor gemstone in a triangular prism is an affront to the wonderful Swiss chocolatier! :grr:

16. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Favourite: Glittering Beljuril
    Least favourite: Actually I can't remember what I voted, but I think it was Andar or Iol. Come to think about it, I actually dislike the famous Rouge stone quite a lot. I mean, come on! It's really, really, REALLY ugly having such a bad color balance and all. It looks sort of like a seven years old kids lousy attempt to color an easter egg.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    Oh well, looks like an updated poll is in order. :D

18. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Darn it! :mad: I thought I would be rid of the Moonbar in about 50 more posts.

I so am not spamming SP for now. :borg:

19. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I liked all of them so far.. 'cept Turquoise.. and I HATED TCHAZAR!!

But I like most of them..

Edit! And the rogue stone reminds me of the time I went into that place with that cult (the name escapes me) , and of course, at the time I didn't know what it was, and was still pretty weak, and was obliterated.. :( )

20. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Nice work Tal! :thumb: Now time to find someone with the horn coral to see how it looks...

Anyone complaining that they lost a gem rank? :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.