1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

*poll* Exp reward system, bane or beauty?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Enthasius, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Its one thing killing minor creatures....but what about Dragons, or demons?? Say your lvl 18, like my Paladin was. I could take out a green dragon, with some difficulty, and you would get decent exp, say you fought a blue dragon, at a higher lvl, say lvl 25 (though unreachable) blue and green dragons are of a similar power.....but they fight differently, am I right? They have different abilities, thus you learn more things, what to prepair for if by some odd reason you need to fight another.

I believe that instead of judging it via your lvl vs. their lvl, they should just make THAT creature be worth less every time you fight one. Regardless the arguement, I still prefer the old set exp reward system, but you just need more to advance each lvl. Its the same way it has been for every other RPG so far, its an unbeatably system.

2. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I like this xp system a lot. When single player, or in a party of characters of about same level, it does quite well, much better than second ed in fact.

But it screws up big time when you have different level characters in a party. Let me demonstrate by an extreme example :)
    Let's say we have level 19 char who just joined up with a level 1 char. Total levels in the party is 20 and the average level is 10. Let's say they kill a CR 8 monster which would give about 200 xp (20 in nwn) to a level 10 party of 4. So the party gains 400 xp and it's divided amongst the party with respect to their levels. 19/20 of the xp goes to the level 19 char. So he/she gets 380 xps whereaas the level 1 char gets only 20 xp. This is done so that the level advancement of characters in a party are at the same rate. But a level 1 char increasing in level at the same rate as a level 10 char (and a level 19 char advancing as fast as a level 10 char) is blasphemy if you ask me :D It's not fair for the low level char not to mention that the level 19 char would get next to nothing xp without that level 1 char. So what it does is slows down the low level chars advancement while it increases the advancement speed of the high level char. IMO this is very skewed and likely to spoil many multiplayer games for it favors the high level chars in a party a lot. But as I said, it works well when you have same level chars.

So that's why, if you have a low level henchman, you'll get much more xp.
    Another thing is summoning a familiar drasticly cuts my xp gained, which is not the way it should be imo and manages to draw a frown from me :)
    There :p (the two cents)

[This message has been edited by Invoker (edited July 16, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.