1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Eurovision Songfestival

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Nizidramanii'yt, May 17, 2004.

1. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Anyone watched it? I sure as hell didn't. I was unavailable that night so I missed it. Word goes that is licked balls, but the winner was pretty cool. I think it was... Slovenia or Ukraine. It was in the preliminaries as well, so I saw it.

One thing I heard as well. Belgium's pathetic attempt to score a podium place was... well...plain stupid. How was the event in your humble opinion? Be honest.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 18 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Eurovision Songfestival (18 votes.)

How was the event? (Choose 1)
    * Wonderful! I love Europe... - 0% (0)
    * Nothing special. Liked the visuals though. - 17% (3)
    * It licked balls, and so do the winners... - 83% (15)

What was the worst song? (Choose 1)
    * Disco-like song that placed top10 - 11% (2)
    * Belgiums '1 life': placing 2nd last... - 11% (2)
    * Any love-themed popsong - 6% (1)
    * They were all equally worse... - 72% (13)

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Songfestival? Whats that?

I watched a bit of the Eurovision Song Contest if thats similar?

It was a load of old bollocks, lets be honest. It's far too political. I'm guessing we got no points because we refuse to join the Euro and we are helping Bush in Iraq.

To emphasize my point, just look at the winning song. 'Nuff said.

3. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Quite right

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It has become a fluke. The eastern European countries only give points to their neighbours, and there happen to be A LOT of eastern European states these days.

Not that it was all fair and square in the past, but at least it was less predictable.

Oh... and the music totally and utterly sucks, every single song. I only watched the voting part, because it's always good for a chuckle.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Definitely not Slovenia, I can tell you that much. Our incompetent organizers always manage to send crappy songs there that get us nowhere.

6. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    But Tal, the whole point about the Eurovision is not to win by a good song, its to get brownie points from ur neighbours by voting for them.

And the winner was Ukraine, with the "Wild Dance" song

7. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] I only saw the point-givings, and name to countries giving Sweden 12(full) points? Norway, and Denmark. IIRC, Finland as well, maybe it was only 10. And which nation was the only one giving Norway any points AT ALL? Sweden, of course.

But then, that festival have become a pop festival and they are sending 4 quarter finals here in Sweden where the two "best" "songs" gets send to 'le Grande Finale' and then an extra with the one that wasn't good enough to get to the final in the first place. The two winner of that "loser's final" then gets to 'le Grande Finale', the very same final they failed to qualify to in the first place. :mad:

Also, that son of a ***** Bert Karlsson, the idiot who created the band 'Friends' and more, he is responsible for about 90%, at least, of the songs, so they all sound alike anyway.

I hate the stupid festivals.

8. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

It sucks indeed. I almost feel like making a death metal band and see how far we get... :evil:

9. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

That is so true :D

I myself was too drunk to watch it.

10. Defspeal Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The best thing to do when the Eurovision song contest is on the telly is to
    1. Get a few mates round, with lots of beer and some shot glasses
    2. Everyone picks a country
    3. Every time your country gets a point, you have to down a shot of beer.

If you picked the Ukraine this year that’s one hell of a lot of beer
    :D :D

11. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

England didn't come last this time though! :D 22 points or something. But not a big fat 0 like last time at least.

12. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Yes, yes, that's the way that this show has to be watched. I think it is quite funny. Turkey actually had a rock band at the start. Ukraine defintely was the best dance-act and proved, that proper English pronunciation is not a necessity, if your wiggle it enough. Greece had nice curves too, (the dancers, not the singer). My personal favourite was Serbia-Montenegro. And having Belgrade as host would somehow be cool.

Ain't she sweet

As for "politics". Forget that humbug. It has nothing to do with politics, only with people voting for their home-country. About 15% of the population of Switzerland comes from former Yugoslavia or from Albania. The points go to the balkan-republics. If the British would live more abroad, they would get more points. Or if they would become Scandinavian, the other Scandinavians would vote for them. Or if they would catch up to Malta in quality issues.

13. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Oh yeah she's sweet. Always good to watch (I said watch not hear). Last year I just watched like that, because all countries send either loonies (like Norway or something) or chicks (like TATU). Seems a trend that a hot act always wins. What a fest...

Song is good as well.
    It's still a bit political. Belgium has few 'friends' because of it's small size. The Netherlands didn't bother to give us too many points since we got...5 (+2 from 2 other countries). However, I don't blame them. I simply don't care.

Maybe because the Belgians voted against the war, they don't get votes from most American butt-kissing countries. Or maybe we just suck... Oh well.

14. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

as the only belgian on this board i should take offense on that question "Belgiums '1 life': placing 2nd last... " but i really dont, becouse its true, the song sucked and so does xandee. but, why did you mention the second last and not the last?

edit: just noticed Nizidramanii'yt is also belgian :)

15. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Excuse me but I've been around a lot longer than the two of you, and no I didn't watch it and yes our song was sucky and yes I assume all the Eurivision songs are crappy.

16. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

They all sucked intensely but what’s new. Anyway, this topic is in the wrong forum.

17. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Thank the gods I didn't watch that one, but I can imagine the vile language or disgusting act used in that process...

'Marginaal', as I should say.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.