1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Earth God Alignments - Yahweh, Allah, Jehovah, etc...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackhawk, Mar 9, 2003.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Whoa, Sprite, you're putting words into my mouth! I spent 2 years as a missionary striving for conversion! I just don't believe that SP (or any board, for that matter) is a place for proseletyzing -- I like to discuss and answer questions here, not preach, but I am a proponent for conversion in other venues.

I just didn't want people to say later "I know a Mormon on my boards who doesn't believe in conversion!" I have to look out for my soul here, as conversion is a cornerstone of my religion :eek:

2. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Have to agree with Depaara. As a Christian, it'd really be rather terrible if I *didn't* want to convert anyone, since their alternative (as I see it) is being condemned to the pits of hell. That should make people feel all warm and fuzzy inside, but hey, the truth isn't always pretty. ;)

3. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I'm Roman Catholic and I don't feel I need to convert anyone. I believe that anyone who TRULY follows the teachings of his faith will get his just reward. This my be contrary to our teachings but some Catholic theologians have proposed the idea. I think Karl rahner was one of them. That coincides with my belief that there is only one way to do things, including getting to heaven.

Well, let's get back to the topic. Someone will just have to start a new thread.

4. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The topic question is very dangerous. We should not talk about God without authority and we should never say things about God that we can't prove. The only things we can say about God are things that he has told us Himself.

My opinion. (I am not a Christian)

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Just a technical remark: God decides the saving. No human has anything to say in the matter.

6. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Chevalier, only Calvinists believe that, most Protestants believe salvation is a matter of personal commitment.

Sorry Capstone and Depaara. I edited my post to make my meaning clearer. I know you have a solemn duty to expand your ranks, and didn't mean to imply you were shirking it. But there's a time and a place for everything and I think you agree with me that this ain't it. That's all I meant.

[ March 14, 2003, 18:33: Message edited by: Sprite ]

7. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] By no means would I want to shove my beliefs down an unwilling throat. ;) But as I mentioned in the other religion thread, I have no issues against sharing anywhere, anytime, including here at SP. Naturally I'm more general and laid-back about it, but even when talking to faceless entities on a gaming site I like to let people know where I'm coming from and why. Sometimes a connection is made in the oddest places, and far be it from me to pass up such an opportunity.

I guess a Bible quote would be appropriate here: "Be ready always to give an answer concerning the hope that lies within you..."

8. chevalier

Media:
    Nay, Calvinists believe God decides beforehand. Personal commitment is not decision - it's, shall we say, working for your salvation. So that has influence, but is not a decisive voice. Judgement lies with God. God decides if that was enough. Catholics believe that will never be enough and grace is always necessary.

9. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Where do we put the crusades who in the name of the lord went to prey on eastern cultures?
    Or the missionaries forcing their way into South america to preacher for cultures who already lived in harmony with nature? Not to mention mowing down native indians, which in a plain sense meant more room for the lords followers.

[ March 15, 2003, 16:20: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

10. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Nobleman - just another reason why it's unrealistic to apply alignment to real life ;) :p .

11. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] chevalier: Not quite true, according to any doctrine (including Calvinist) that I've heard. Even under John Calvin, who believed once saved, always saved, and that by the predestination of God, humans do have one thing to say in their salvation. "Yes."

If God only chooses some to be saved, as you say, then he must make that choice on some basis. And so far as I know, any Christian doctrine will say it is based either on works (which I don't agree with) or on faith (you must believe) or a mixture of the two. So in some measure it still depends on you.

12. chevalier

Media:
    No, I don't say God chooses people to be saved. As I said, I'm Roman Catholic. God judges people after they have died and then decides whether they deserve salvation or not. Humans have nothing to say there. They don't decide. They work for the salvation of their own and perhaps of other people indirectly, but they don't decide. Thus a Catholic can't say the Protestant won't be saved and vice versa, because they do not decide, they are not the judges in the matter. Living according to the tenets of faith is not deciding. It's still working, deserving. Decisive voice lies with God. "Judge not lest thou be judged" - simply.

13. Felgash Toradûn Banned

Somebody on this topic wrote something about Gods change of alignment after the OT...
    Check out this link for a reply I wrote.
    It might make somethings clear...

http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=000164;p=3

Btw, I agree with Mathetais... God IS pure good... Evil does not exist within Him, and it never will...

[ March 16, 2003, 21:41: Message edited by: Felgash Toradûn ]

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Then who created evil?

15. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Ah, but perhaps evil is only the absence of good.

Or maybe the other way around. But now I think I'm beginning to confuse myself.

16. chevalier

Media:
    Satan + human weakness to follow him.

17. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Am I the only one who noticed Blackhawks lack of knowledge?

Christians, jews an muslims actually worship the same god...

18. Morgoth

Media:
    we are weak when we rely upon another, therefor human strength is a more appropriate term.
    He lost control over us, God is the weak one

19. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Fabius Maximus - Christainity, Judaism and Islam are all decendants of Zoeasterism. So in that sense, the religions are very simular in the base structure of the supernatural.

However, each religion's prophets influenced the faith and conception of the nature and attributes of "god". As are result, the gods in these different religions act quite differently.

Remember that a "religion" is a living, breathing creature. Not every line and every sentence of the Koran, Bible, Torah, etc... are followed - only some are emphasised as being more important.

How "god" is conceived is quite different in Christainity than in Judaism and Islam. The conception is also quite different between different versions of the protestant religions.

Abstractly, all religions follow the same god - true. Allah, Jehovah, Brahma, as well as the abstract views of the "god" in Scientology and Buddism can be considered the same. However, they act quite differently.

20. Morgoth

Media:
    Zoroastrism? I´ve got a very good friend from Iran who is a zoroastrist, it is based upon a God, which is just a form of energy, without (in his words) the power "we" associate to the Christian god, else he would save us from evil, etc etc, maybe he doesnt even know we exist.

But zoroastrism is the oldest monotheism to date, IIRC even being the main religion of ancient persia till the muslims took over..

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.