1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Does the performance justify the requirements and resource consumption?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by chevalier, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    But the game is fun, no? More enjoying than NWN at the least. That's all you can expect from a sequel, really.

I bet more people like it than dislike it, put it that way. You've built yourself up to expect something that will knock you off your feet and you've built yourself up for a fall. Just relax and treat the game on its merits instead of comparing it with every other RPG under the sun.

2. catbert

catbert Midnight Snack Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Is it fun? Kind of. I want to know the plot, but it's a big aesthetic turnoff. And it's not like the storyline is anything special. It repeats overdone snippets all over the place.

Folks burning Viconia on a stake, mean kids picking on an Ithorian on Telos, the klan patrol about to play pigsticking with Neeshka. Damn racists, they're everywhere.

Then, take the mythallar and bring it to Garrick who might help you identify it. And now, take a shard and bring it to a wizard in Neverwinter who might help you identify it. No, really?

More and more of that. It's not an awesome story, it's just more personally written than the NWN OC. Okay, I'll enjoy it one time over, but I don't think it has replayability, so I'll turn to multiplayer and get smacked with the fact that the game is not designed for that. Oh shucks, guess it's not so fun anymore.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I care. I would soon be pissed off by things like the camera moving slowly. And yes, I am expecting something reasonably spectacular given the nuclear powered system requirements that this game expects.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well get Oblivion then if all you're looking for is a graphics fest.

5. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Oblivian is lame lol. I played it for about 5 minutes and put it back in the box after uninstalling it... In fact, shortly after I reformatted my computer as well.

Oblivian would be good if it didn't rely on your FPS skill, but rather your ability to grow as a player. Also, I don't like running for hours and I don't think anyone can learn to become a professional alchemist, blacksmith, magician, fighter, etc. all at the exact same time :p .

NWN2 on the other hand is a full blown CRPG of the best kind minus the graphics it deserves minus the little things that were promised plus the understanding that Obsidian is a horrible development company to turn to.

The game also loses replayability because you can't skip long cutscenes. At best you can speed them up a tiny bit by skipping a few of the lines of conversation. Unfortunately movement during the cutscenes still takes forever. Obsidian needs to learn how to take full advantage of the esc key like Blizzard has in WoW.

6. catbert

catbert Midnight Snack Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Oh please. Don't tell me to get a unicycle if wheels is all I care about when I say that I don't really like a car without wheels. I want a car, dammit. :eek:

7. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

yes ignore what kept nwn going for so long, sorry to burst any bubbles but it wasn't multiplayer or persistent worlds. it was the countless of player made mods.

8. catbert

Media:
    ^ depends on whom you ask ;)

I hope we'll all agree that it wasn't the marvellous original campaign, though. Which is precisely my point. I have a few friends who are obssessive NWN modders, and they say that the steep learning curve of the new toolset combined with the limitations of the game is why they'll stick with NWN1. Which is what a lot of people say right away... and that's kind of sad, but true. From a modder's point of view, NWN2 offers little. Its multiplayer fell out of focus, and new game resources became harder to implement.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

This heated debate over one new game is fascinating.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.