1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Do you want to LIVE on the Sword Coast?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Cal Yhringlor, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Iraelonn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I would have no desire to take the wizard's offer. First, I wouldn't want to abandon my family for seven years as my children are only 6 and 3. Second, as described in my selection, killing things in a game and killing things in real life are very different things.

2. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

To Goli Ironhead, Decados and Caradhras :
    I WAS saying that a contest on these things, beetween US, was FULLY sterile !
    Your so-calling << scientific evidences >> (!) are NOTHING for me.
    And if you have not a conscience subtle enough to go yourselves towards direction of archetypal understandings, I cant be wizard in YOUR stead !
    (All is waiting for you is, as JRR Tolkien said, is to export your silly materialist towns in other worlds. Too bad . And so sad ! ).

An now, for the THIRD TIME, I urge you to come back to the topic !
    :yot: !!!
    Therefore :
    And :
    — NO ANYMORE ANSWERS vill be given to a topic other than the CURRENT TOPIC REMINDED ABOVE. In this forum, at all events !

3. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'm getting more and more confused about these Uranus Rays...
    Does anyone here know about this thing?

Excuse me, are you serious? You're expecting us just to buy this thing about some Rays no-one seems to know about and get angry when we say "no?"

4. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

• A very beautiful place is the landscapes in the rectangle of land "RIGHT to EAST of Candlekeep".
    :)
    ... It's really marvellous and a little alien :alien: with his green-grass brinks of great cliffs, and the eerie sounds of the ocean !
    • There is also a "fantasy feeling", issued of nowhere, [ which cannot be so much felt more in South (in sirens/ogres coast). ].
    OK, sure, there also gibberlings and, above all, grey wolves in that rectangle of land. (There is also the place where the PC and Imohen meet the 2 evil, Xzar & Montaron, at the start of BG1 game).
    • But I think it is also a so pleasant place that, amongst the guys who voted "Yes" to travel to Sword Coast, some of them were perhaps finding interesting to build a house near those cliffs. No right near the edge, but, saying, :heh: 100 or even 50 yards farer from the brinks ... :happy:
    ... What are thinking of this the "would-be new colonists" of Sword Coast !? ...

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Cal - Hey, you asked for opinions and are getting them. Just because they aren't what you want to hear is not anyone's problems but yours. I'm not the only person here who found your poll confusing and overworded.

Embellishment *is* our, as readers of the poll, concern as well as yours. I cut slack to all non-english speakers, but even I know there are articles such as at, the, on, of, etc. in French.

*You* opened this poll up to any flames, critiques and kudos by asking for reasoning behind answers. Welcome to the real world where opinions vary.

And just a minor point, you *can* take some of your arguements to PM (private mail) with any of your critics. It will help get it back on topic and keep the Uranus rays out of it.

6. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

kuemper = :yot:

... By the way, THEN, to REMAIN in the topic, the NORTH part of the rectangle right at East (of the one about we speak) is pretty much of the same "fantasy-atmosphere" type than the first (without sea influence, OK).
    ( Yes, it's the << Lion's Way Cross-roads >> rectangle ! ).

But, and it's THERE that the question is more difficult, any "colonist" activity is likely to remove INSTANTLY the magic, the SOUL of the place.
    Not only a hypothetic small inn near the Cross-roads itself, but even a single house, 100 feet far from it, is able to break the charm.
    ( An effect weaker at night, however. Why ? I dont know very well ).

... Why some lands of Sword Coast are non-affected by human structures, and others very brittle, is under question.

Is it existing permanent norms about such phenomena ? :hmm:

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Cal, you missed the most obvious answer -- call the local looney bin and have the idiot committed.

Of course, he could save himself from such a fate with the proper redirection of Uranus rays....

8. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

Thank you, T2Bruno ... ;)

... But this dont reply to my two questions in my mails above :

1) ... What are thinking of building a house the "would-be new colonists" of Sword Coast !? ...
    ( not forcibly where it was said, then : tell your favorite place ... )

2) ... Is it existing permanent norms about the phenomena of " atmosphere-breaking or not-breaking " for the lands of Sword Coast ?

3) Third, for the newcomers mainly, you can prefer to comment your choices in voting to the poll.

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

And Uranus rays *are* on topic or wth you're yakking about now???? :skeptic:

How do Kolssed and Chase fit into this wacko scheme of yours?

10. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

No more sterile debates now. It's useless.
    — I repeat this do NOT answer to the two questions in my mails above, which I remind here :

11. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    We are all giving you the reasons why we wouldn't want to live in Sword Coast. When you question our decisions, we give you our explanations on why we feel that way. It seems to be reasonably well within the topic of the forum. If I'm not mistaken, a forum is for us to engage in active and friendly debate but it seems that anyone who does not agree with you gets labeled 'off-topic'.

YOU brought up the issue of the uranus rays and evolution of man. Not us. When we question these rays for clarification, we get lambasted. When we provide our opinions on modern vs medieval man, we get an 'off-topic' sign.
    It would be nice if you just hear us out, and give us your opinion or just simply say I disagree instead of just snapping back at us.

12. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

That remind me this story from a bard of Beregost ; the mayor of Beregost doesnt not success to purge a small wood of all evil wolves ...

But, (said the bard), a old mage had an idea. He bound a large tempting ham at end of a long rope, and left it draging in dust of the path behind a very speedy cart drawn by magical horses, and began a circular course in the wood.

Just before the dawn all EVIL WOLVES jaws were stuck to the ham behind the cart, and their DEMONIAC NAMES were shining in the rising sun above their HEAD, visible to ALL.

The Grand'Priest of Beregost, "RED-SCALES", then arrived when the cart joined the Main Road, and of his hands flowed a powerful Exorcism which dispel all evil, and never the wolves will be seen again ...

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    This is getting absurd. It is clear that Cal Yhringlor is not particularly interested in the reasons behind the decisions that people are choosing if those decisions involve some form of criticism of the poll. So, other threads can be opened on these items (who knows, some of this stuff might be appropriate for AoDA).

However, let's stick to the topic on this thread which is whether you'd go to the Sword Coast as a level one character.

Cal - if you're interested in writing some form of fiction based in the Sword Coast, please post it in the proper forum, Creativity Surge. Please note that posting little snippets of prose when you don't like what others write is akin to sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "La, la, la, I can't hear you!" We expect a little more from our members here.

14. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Okay, I've sat down and decoded the poll itself (Cal? I'm sorry, but when everything including the raw responses - the stuff before the dashes - is slathered with figurative language, it makes things hard to read :( )

After thinking about the actual offer, I'd said no - not as a PC. And here's my reasoning: Heroes tend to have a very short lifespan - for every Conan or Drizzt or even Rincewind, there's hundreds of eager, callow youths that end up as skeletons stuck on/in the traps that our successful heroes disarm and cringe at. :(

Remember the bar patron that picks a fight with you because his son ran off adventuring and got himself killed? That's what I'm talking about...

I might be interested in being a commoner in Ed's Forgotten Realms, even in the Sword Coast region during the whole 'iron plague' events, but not someone that actively goes out looking for trouble - I'd not last the seven years. ;)

As for the second question - same with physical suffering removed - now I'm equivocal...so I picked the most apt response for 'undecided'.

All-in-all, I'd probably end up saying "Thank you, but no" to the mage, simply because I wouldn't be comfortable without Internet access! ;)

Oh, and sorry if my suggestions were unwelcome - you're free to disregard them (they were just advice, not DIRECTIVES)

And the opening comment was a joke in an attempt to lighten the mood and hopefully disarm the tensions that were brewing. Sadly 1) it didn't seem to have the effect I'd intended, and b) my sense of humor does not seem to be very compatible to yours; sorry if you took offense to a comment more directed to the other posters, rather than yourself. :(

To be honest, the question itself is a very interesting one - if given the chance to be in one of these fictional stories we read/watch/play, would we take it?

15. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

In fact, it's true, we are all responsible of the mad climate which was, by little and little, established itself around that (yet very good) poll.

— I feel that I must apologise, here.

I must apologise ALSO for the WILD misunderstanding with YOU, << jaded empath >> : I am really sorry.

Misunderstandings are current coin, here, in these forums ! ... And yet, I open my old dictionary to learn or verify one word out of ten (pfff ! ...).

But it is near-useless, misunderstandings always arrive to filter, READ, or WRITTEN :
    ... as said recently to me, here, in a PM, a danish friend :
    << [...] — Besides that, people on SP come from lot of different countries. And humor, sarcasm and irony can be very different from country to country. Sometimes it is just untranslatable and communication go wrong. [...] >>

Yes, alas, types of intellectual mode of operation vary vastly from country to country, and really ENORMOUSLY from continent to continent.

Every time, you believe you ARE understanding what is going on, but IT IS AN ILLUSION. "Babel" disorder is here, sure ! Alas. :bad:
    (Even NOW, i am wondering if "Babel" word is not to be taken "1st degree" in North America Continent, as "a full religious allusion", which this wording was NOT fully at all !)

About the current topic, I have read all that you wrote, Jade empath, and I thank you of it.
    No, you cannot travel in the Sword Coast as a plain commoner, since the Strange Mage gave YOU the statute of the first level adventurer, BUT you are FREE :
    ... For example, if you wish settle you as a lawyer in Nashkel, or fix your home near Beregost, you are free !

... But I know that WHEN you shall feel "at ease" with your surroundings, PERHAPS you shall be tempted by gaining much more gold, AND large shining gems, AND magic items, AND excitation ... to go, near your house, in the begining wilderness with 4 or 5 friends, to kill your first gobelin. And a gobelin lead to a second ... The second to a dawdling grey wolf (too near of the village) ... And then ... ;) :)

16. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Well, I'm French (I don't live in Rouen but still) and I can't say I understand your humour or the content of many of your posts...

Back on topic: I don't get why someone couldn't settle down as a commoner. Remember Viconia? She tried to settle in Beregost and live an ordinary life there for a while. If I were a level 1 Bard I'll probably just hang around the taverns in Beregost; I believe I would like that a lot better than visiting dungeons filled with monsters and deadly traps.

17. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I said i want to be a shadow druid before but i think i would just stay at Cloakwood Forest with comrades there. I wouldn't go adventuring, especially to some town (or city). Maybe I would give some potions and weapons to some strangers from Candlekeep if they're enemies of Iron Throne. :grin:

18. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

To Caradhras :

• You cannot settle down as commoner because you are no more a commoner.

— It is easy to understand : you are no more zero level character because, (remember), the Strange Mage, in the same time of shifting you in Sword Coast, has empowered YOU with a First Level of energy in your prefered class.
    Except drained by monster or power, a 1st level character cant never turn back to 0 level statute (and, in general, dont wish it).

— For Viconia, it's possible that she was wiped off her 1st cleric statute for a time, because there was an hinge-period beetween her services to Loth, and to Shar. (Besides, Viconia has psychological problems, because her difficulties of integration in the Human world.)

— You can, indead, be a sedentary bard !
    I repeat, you are FREE.
    ( However, remember the unease feelings of the would-be bard in High Hall of Wonders ... You will find difficult to be 100% sedentary, perhaps.) ;)

19. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

[​IMG] Kagain is a fighter and still has his own business in Beregost. Is he a multiclassed Fighter/Shopkeeper? I don't remember seeing that in his character sheet...

20. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Having a job doesn't make you a commoner. In the world of 2e, all commoners were 0-level. That doesn't mean everyone in town is 0-level, though, just the 'commoners'. For example, you'd almost never find a place that had a 0-level NPC as its leader. Remember that 2e didn't have those "NPC classes" that you find in 3e; either you stayed at 0-level as a commoner or you took a PC class (whether you're a PC or not).

On the other side of the equation, being 1st level doesn't automatically mean you go out and kill monsters. As above, you'll find leveled NPCs in charge in most places, having settled down from a life of adventuring or simply having gained all of their experience from training / defending the town from attacks / research / whatever.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.