1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Do you want to LIVE on the Sword Coast?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Cal Yhringlor, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] To Kuemper : OK ... If you change your mind, you know where are the ballots-boxes.

For Killjoy :
    — No, there are not motives which are divised into " 9 simplistic alignements ". There are conscious acts, in a try to be protected by a god, - or at least NO pursued by their wrath. :mommy:
    Gods are really actives mights, to take into the account daily in Sword Coast. Good gods, AND evil gods : (remember that even in Cloakwood mines, were at least two places of cult towards Cyric) !
    :pope:
    — Yes, killing monsters can turn you in a hero, because monsters are a multitude, and humans & demi-human civilizations are weak enough.
    :smash:
    In "borderline" acts, your consciousness is always here, however, (except if you WANT to be bad).
    — No, romantic or sensual relationships are not SO easy, (apart cautiously cast Charm spells) ; but know that if you are a successful and rich adventurer, your current comeliness seems strangely going up in the eyes of the other sex. :love: ... Ppfff !

For Iku-Turso , and ALSO for Faye :
    — Killed by " kobolds " or "a goblin " ???
    Where is your PRIDE of YOURSELVES, guys ?
    :( YOUR stats, even if middle-ranged, are enough to make you heros, if you are both courageous AND cautious. You have no care to be afraid of killing gobelins or kobolds ; the danger is the blade of the twelfth gobelin, just when you think that, all things considered, slaying gobelin is a easy task ... :xx:
    Remember that.

For Caradhras :
    No, no, no, NOoOooo ! Sorry, but why are you writing :
    Remember :
    You know that you receive a Gift of 800 gp for equipment, PLUS a Power of a FIRST-LEVEL class. ANY CLASS.
    Therefore, no need to have studied magic since your childhood to chose any sort of MAGE, if you want it ! Be happy ! ;)
    The main risk is this one :
    If your REAL intelligence is low, you (perhaps) shall NOT be able to understand all the spells which you shall find across your way ... Then be a magician only if you HAVE the soul of a real wizard inside you ! :)

For Susipaisti :
    As written above, electricity needs are replaced by numerous things in Sword Coast ; and various light spells provide a good illumination for adventurers
    BG1 is NOT a fully medieval-style world !

I advice ALL new visitors of that pole TO READ, if possible, all the mails above before telling of any technological differences between Terra, and the Sword Coast of the Abeir-Toril planet ! Thanks !
    :cool:

2. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Neutral type to first one and happy answer to second. Though I wouldn't leave without speaking to my mom because i live with her and love her. Other than her nothing ties me to here so why not?

I would be a shadow druid there. My ideas are like theirs. I don't follow any religion here too so nature is the way to go for me. Also my wisdom is better than my other stats. OTOH being a cleric of Cyric is possible too because I'm :nuts: . I would say bard too but i have a terrible voice and my CHR is really low.

3. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

You know, it's possible you might have missed the point of my post.

4. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

As easy as it might sound, killing any sentient being can prove very dangerous. In reality, no matter how weak a kobold or goblin would be, they could still take you down in a mob -you won't be enjoying large number of HP. Blade in gut, back, head, or various other places can potentially kill any man, no matter how mighty he is. That being said, the famous "Tucker's Kobolds" show us that even one of the weakest monsters there is can potentially wipe out a high-level party of adventurers if they're cunning enough.
    So, you can't just say that slaying savage -and in the case of kobolds, quite cunning- monsters without fearing that you might be mortally wounded. In a real battle, it's going to be much messier than what is shown in the game. You could easily just stumble upon something, perhaps cut yourself with your blade, the sword could get stuck to a corpse, just to name a few examples.

Hmmh, isn't magic quite expensive and too rare for everyday use?

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I didn't, Killjoy. Sarcasm is good, yes? :D

6. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

[​IMG] Well, that was more like four weeks, but I'm back.

:confused:

:toofar: I leave for most of a month and this place goes all to Heck.

Um, Cal - firstly, it makes a poll easier to understand and use (if your question has the typical "very strongly for" to "very strongly against" range of answers) if you just stick to the response itself and not couch each possible reply with a raft of potentially biasing information.

For example:

Q1: Would you want to go?

A1a: VERY much so.
    A1b: Yes, but with reservations.
    A1c: Maybe; I'm not sure.
    A1d: Probably not.
    A1e: Not in a million years.

Essentially; keep the poll itself simple - embellishment isn't needed. :bad:

And second?
    Sarcasm defined may be of use for you to keep open in another browser window as a reminder that some people are also veiled and obtuse...

7. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

To Killjoy :

No, Killjoy, I have NOT missed your 2nd degree humour ... I know that a simplistic (in appearance only!) BG world would be as a fontain of cool water against our "real" (?) world, alas "all in nuances" (a so heavy world to our head, I agree ...) ; but it was MY sense of humour to feign taking your text as it was only 1rst degree questions ... It's sometimes a delicate pleasure to appear a greenhorn to others ... :evil:
    ... Sorry, I'll never do it again :good:
    ( you believe me ?)

To Goli Ironhead :

I was happy to read your text : al least, you are of those who reflect before write something :)
    Alas all that you said would be TRUE, but only in fights on our Terra planet !
    Now :

1) Laws of Reality in Sword Coast are wildly different of those of Terra.
    AND their is a other thing :
    2) You see the trump cards of monsters, but you dont think to ADVANTAGES of a human party as :
    a) humans ;
    b) adventurers ;
    c) humans issued from 21th centuary.

# 1) : for example, remember that a kobold need a 20 to hit even a 1rst level cleric with a, saying, 16 dext., even if he has only relatively middling armor (non-magical splinted/banded armor with non-magical shield), then : AC 1.
    And a loss of 3 or 4 HPs is NO "blade in guts", but often merely an heavy and painful contusion through the armor, (or protection spell for mages), or a critical hit broken by the helmet.

# 2) : the advantages of beeing :

• # a) HUMANS. For example, BG world was initially born from non-existence by human minds, and then is enormously humano-centric. Even the LUCK (the quasi-cheating little manipulations you allow to you when you play ...) is towards human (and demi-humans) beeings.
    In a BG world, the very atmosphere is favourable to humans — the only problem beeing they exist in small enough numbers !

• # b) ADVENTURERS. For example, if kobolds have cunning, adventurers are clever, professional, and greatly organised. They dont usually fall in traps, if cautious. And in case of direct fight versus 6 adventurers with only 3 bows and 3 slings, 80% of a group of kobolds are normally dead before any contact !
    — And : there not heavy " trauma " to suffer an important wound, when you know that there is only to stand until the fight is over ... and then be magically cured by potion or spell ! :rolling:

• # c) HUMANS ISSUED FROM 21th CENTURY.
    Yes, if YOU were projected in Sword Coast, you can rightly, since the very entrance, add 2 ou even 3 dexterity points to your Terra ability (and AC, perhaps ...)
    Reflexes of computer-playing persons, in an electronic-speed era, are much more better that ... i see you understand. :)

3) At end, NO, there is a lot of small magics in REAL Sword Coast (for example, assume that even an standard inkeeper can have 1 or 2 zero level spells memorised, and 4 or 6 permanent magical lights in his etablishment (veiled at night by leather hoods).
    Sometimes you have EVEN the (strange) luck to find scrolls stupidly hidden in barrels, Ppfff ! ... :whoa: :eek:

8. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    :bs:
    I'm not particuarly interested in getting into any form of argument, but I feel I have to point out that this is rubbish.

Firstly, many computer games are not based on reflexes- with the exception of the more first-person perspective ones. Therefore many computer games will not even test, let alone improve your reflexes. BG itself is an example of this: where do you need reflexes? Hitting pause when ambushed? Please.

Secondly, it is not the avid computer gamers who tend to have the best reflexes. It makes more sense for people who actually go and play sport (this is not directed at anyone here) to have the better physical attributes.

Thirdly, Dexterity is not merely a measure of reflexes- it also takes into account balance and co-ordination. I do not see how a modern-day person would have any advantage in these fields either.

Finally, how does living in an 'electronic speed era' make any difference on our physical performances? It is the electricity that is travelling fast, not us!

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I agree with Decados.

10. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

For Decados :

• To your "Firstly" : Humm, in fact, for reflexes, my right thought was no computers, :o (oups, sorry!) but " consoles " (I dont know english term). :

• To your "Secondly" : Physical activity is useful, OK. But in what exact measure, is more difficult to quantify for Dexterity than for Strength ! :hmm:

• To your "Thirdly and Finally " : Dexterity creates a "reaction adjustment" bonus in AD&D 2nd ed. So, I dont agree :
    This "time reaction bonus is" GREATLY enhanced by the very small time "react to command" of our machines.
    As you said : << The electricity is travelling fast >>, but we are running behind it ! :lol:
    ( think as your are impatient when your computer take even 1/2 second more than usual to load a Internet page ! )
    YES, WE HAVE CHANGED, (and our nervous system simultaneously with us ...)
    :outta:

To jadded empath :

I am REALLY bewildered of the ASSURANCE and FACE of your mail. :eek: :toofar:
    It is YOU, who are going too far. How dare you say :
    — You are NOT the PROPRIETOR of the Baldur Gate Forum !!! (nor owner of this topic). :nolike: :shame:
    And also you dare judge :
    Who are you to try to tell me how build MY poll ?! :jawdrop: My poll is near-exactly as I was wishing for.
    And potential "embellishement " is NOT your concern, it's business of mine. :almostmad:

[ Besides, if you make a nice work, you know that you were loving it ; a work without beauty is a work without love ... And a work without love is near-always a BAD work ].

11. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Calm down, it was just an advice. And, seriously, as stated, cut down the smilies. Jadeth was just trying to be helpful IIRC the rules state that the limit is four per post.
    And even though your poll might be what you wanted it to be, it might not please others.
    No offense or anything.

12. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I would imagine that consoles would, in general, have a marginally greater effect. However, I believe you are reading too much into the potential improvement- I'll take a real-world example.

Badminton is a game that requires good reflexes to play at a high level, I doubt anyone would seriously contest that. OTOH, the top players don't return shots so well because their reactions are superhuman- a lot of the ease evident in their movements comes from practice and prediction.

Returning to my point- doing well at console games doesn't really mean that your reflexes are getting much better- it mainly means that you are getting used to what is going to happen and you are thinking ahead without realising it.

More difficult to quantify does not mean the same as unimportant. I maintain that if you want to improve yourself physically then you should go and do physical activity.

Yes, Dexterity grants a bonus to events that require fast reflexes, I never contested that. My point was that Dexterity covers more than just reaction time. Think of Charisma- it covers a whole range of variables, from looks to leadership ability.

I don't get your point about the machines though- it is almost as if you are telling me that computers aid our reflexes because they can process information quickly.

Our nervous system has not changed due to computers. While over-usage of computers negatively affects our bodies (posture and such-like), these flaws are not passed on in our genes so I wouldn't really have said that people as a whole have really changed. The nervous system is part of the body, it is not really something that you see people going to the gym to improve. ;)

If happen to be impatient with a web-page loading, then it doesn't prove that I'm mentally or physically faster. All that proves is that I've got used to the conveniently fast loading times granted by broadband. In fact, after thinking that point through, it suggests that as I'm so used to the comforts and easy-routes offered by modern-day living that I'd actually be worse off than an inhabitant of the Sword Coast who grew up in those conditions and is quite used to them.

I don't mean offence here, but 'beauty' was not a word that came to mind when I opened the poll.

13. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Indeed, Decados has it, we have weakened, if anything. Say, in a world where you can potentially get killed by monsters and that equals medieval by many of the living standards, you go trough plenty of harsh times. And those make you tough.

Now, unless we're talking about athletes or those that do hard physical work, the modern day humans (I'm talking about well-faring, advanced countries) don't need to go trough much harship physically. So, most of the ordinary people wouldn't be stronger than ordinary peasants of that time, at least most of the peasants...
    Dexterity, or at least hand-eye coordination would perhaps be indeed better than most people there, but I doubt you're going to be in much of an adventage there.

14. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] In fact, I dont think it's necessary to pursue a sterile contest. Why sterile ?
    — Because this phrase of you, Decados, is the hidden basis of our difference of opinions :
    You have a scientist-like opinion.
    NOT me.
    I am a wizard-like person. No joke here !
    I DONT think that important changes in humans, —even in his most material form—, are transmited by genes.

If you compare the face of a man at medieval epoch, with an other of the same profession of XXI th century, you see an incredible evolution.
    If it is as this, externally, think of what is going internally !

• Today ( in fact mostly since revolutions, saying as, humm, 1750, and at accelerate rate since, hum, 1955 ), Uranus planet modify DEEPLY the mould of ALL bodies —ALL vehicles, physical, etheral, astral, mental— of "natural" (biological, not divine) humans, —ALL humans. And, in PRIORITY, nervous systems.
    You can say "yes" or "no", but the process exist, and continue every day.
    Some humans are "boosted" by Uranus rays, others degenerate.
    And rays of screens enhance (in bad ways mostly, but not always !) the effects of Uranus, as all electronical or informatical machines.

[ in fact, without Uranus modern ray action on human psyche, those machines were not be NEVER invented ... "Guillotine" the first ! ] :p :)

... But we are going out of the topic ...

THE topic IS, I remind you, to say WHY you should love or hate to go live in Sword Coast ...
    Remark i have never said that it is an obligation to pass the seven years ONLY as an adventurer ... If you want relax near the sea, the strange mage will not say ANYTHING to you ! :cool:

15. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Important changes are not transmitted by genes? That's :bs:
    Sure, its a nature vs nurture argument, and the environment definitely and undeniably plays a large role in defining us physically or otherwise. But everything else, the template itself (or the individual itself) is dependent on genes. No genes = no individual. And sure, muscles, you can build in the gym. Intelligence, you can build by education. But what about genetic diseases that cause muscular dystrophy or Down syndrome?

And killing anything is not as easy (physically or psychologically) as it sounds. I'd be pretty freaked trying to kill a live chicken, much less a talking, walking, bipedal, intelligent goblin. And 4 damage to a 1st level character IS a blade to the guts (considering that you have what? 10 maximum health on average?)
    Sure, certain laws of reality may be different, but most of the laws of physics (and biology) seems to be intact. I don't see how getting a knife in your body in Sword Coast too different from one in the real world.
    And you stressed that it has to be OUR VERY OWN STATS, and judging from how frail I am physically, I'd be mush. And I don't see how, should I be transferred to the Sword Coast, I'd suddenly be stronger, smarter etc. etc. just because we live in an electronic era (to the point of adding stats!). Maybe we are smarter, but people living in the Sword Coast have to work the fields, fight monsters (!) on a potentially daily basis while I sit in my room typing on my keyboard. They'd be alot more dexterous and stronger than most of us.

And I don't get the Uranus rays thingy. Please elaborate.

16. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

• Genes are only the ... saying, the ... "socle", "basic program" of material shapes.

• And, I also stick to my affirmation : EVEN with 1 hp left, it's NO "blade in the guts", if it is ... You are dead.
    (Even with a maxi of 30 hp, by the way : 1 hp, it's NO blade in guts) ...

• No, for Uranus rays I am NOT going to ELABORATE ANYMORE. If you wish to become a wizard on Terra, forget for a time ALL that you learn, and reflect, search, and read on ALL the remainder. It's not a school here !
    :)
    • You have no developped the TRUE topic described above ! I urge you to return to a more funny type of verbal exchanges ! Sword Coast is a beautiful world !

:coffee2: I go to bed now. It is 03 h 19 AM in France !
    (What time is it in Beregost ?)

17. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Erm... haven't seen any scientific evidence about these Uranus Rays you're talking about. Actually, I haven't even heard of them before. Wikipedia doesn't know about them.
    So, instead of bickering, I'm going to say the same thing to you: You can say yes or no, but they might very well not exist.

Now then, I might have to point out a thing about the hazards of combat. See, the makers couldn't make it so realistic, for the sake of playability if nothing else. I'm quite sure that if you really could get to Sword Coast, you would quickly note that the combat is not as easy as it was in game. The laws of reality can't be that different. I doubt that your HP would significantly get higher when you kill monsters. My point with the blade In Ggut was that no matter how high leveled, extremely tough you are, getting your stomach cut open will kill you if you don't receive immidient help.

So, even after the seven years, if you would have been adventuring and gaining levels for the time, you just couldn't rush into, say, fifteen elite archers shooting at you. Or you could, but the outcome would be obvious.

18. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Actually it can. You have a world where Arcane and Devine magic exists, where the Gods actually talks to you and hellish beings want to kill you. And even the most serious wounds can be healed.

I wouldn't be so concerned about a blade in the gut.

Theres those nice armors, girdles and so on preventing that. And if it happens a temple or a cleric can take care of that. Or you could be a cleric yourself. Then there is that nice Rise Dead thing. Of course that would mean there would be at least one in your party who cared enough for you to do just that :D

As for stats. Well... I believe one would rise for the occasion, right? Who wouldn't exercise or practise every day in that environment, both physically and psychically. What is a fighter type worth if they didn't train combat? Or a diviner or arcane caster not memorizing spells?

As for MY stats. Well... it surely would help if my first power was to change into the Slayer! :D

But since it is BG1 I suppose I could get on with the Druids shape changing abilities. Brown Bear is nice. :)

19. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I have never heard of that before either. I wonder if it's gibberish or whether it can be construed as some veiled attempt at humour... It sounds a lot like a very bad pun... :shake:

20. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    While we could discuss the changing face of the Church through time, I don't think the phrase was actually referring to the real faces of the clergy. ;)

Seriously though, I could accept minor differences, mainly brought about by different standards of living, but the basic shape of the human skull has not altered all that much.

I'm afraid I don't buy that one. The whole point of genes is to define physical characteristics and pass them on. I think Faye summed this up rather well with a reference to genetic dieases.

Perhaps you are right: this discussion between us isn't really accomplishing all that much. I think between the Uranus rays and this quote I can understand why we aren't seeing eye-to-eye.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.