1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Do you "Double Dip"?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kitrax, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Is it still double dipping if you turn the chip around and put the edge that was not in the dip in for the second helping, In theory yes, but it is not tainted.

2. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

It all depends on the availability of refreshments. If, say, the drinks are lacking in abundance, or out of reach due to congestion of people limiting access, I say yes, double dipping is the answer. This is so because, if hypothetically, i am dehydrated, and the only way to keep from collapsing in a heap with my dried out tongue pressure locked to the roof of my mouth, is to absorb as much of the liquid in the dip as possible, then by all means i will dip. It is after all, the others fault for causing me to resort to such extreme measures. This, however, is dependent on the type of dip, and is thus inconsistent. If the dip is hot sauce, then it is dehydrating and is thus counterproductive to my goal. In this case i would resort a bartering system whereby i would restrict access to the dip until someone exchanged a sip of their drink for a limited number of swipes at the dip.

Of course, the whole hypothetical scenario breaks down if access to a beverage is indeed available. In that case, double dipping surely blows.

[ October 27, 2004, 01:30: Message edited by: Celesialraven ]

3. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well that depends. Is anyone looking? :D

Seriously, I don't think I've been to a party with chips and dip that didn't have plates. If there are plates, then I just get my onw glop of dip and double dip to my heart's content.
    Of course, hypothetically, if there wasn't, then no I wouldn't. Heck, as it is, most people practically stick their fingers in it to get as much dip as possible. Why would I want to make it worse?

4. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

This is so Seinfeld.

For the record, I don't. It's pretty gross.

5. Kartiel Darkstar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Just turn the chip, not that hard. :thumb:

6. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    This is almost on topic. I read a study once about those little unwrapped mints you find in pretty glass bowls that are left out for people to enjoy. Apparently someone did a test on the urine content in those harmless looking little mints. You just don't want to know the results. Seem like an awful lot of people don't wash their hands after the visit the W.C.

Think about that.

7. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The only thing that dictates whether or not I double dip is the type of chip. Corn chips? Hell yes, gotta double dip them, but only after turning the chip to another corner. Normal potato chips (or crisps if you prefer) are usually way too small to double dip, I usually just load the chip up on the first dip.

8. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I do, but I turn the chip around first, like Abomination said.

9. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

I don't dip. I've never tasted a good dip. Somehow something dry and salty just doesn't go well with a sauce. Same with french fries and ketchup. Of course if you add a hamburger to the equation, then it's another thing.

Anyway, if I did dip, I would most definitely not do it in a manner that would stick my saliva into the sauce.

I've got a question for you guys, have you ever listened to how many people actually wash their hands after doing their thing in the wc? I mean, with and without soap?

Let's just say that the amount of people I hear using soap (which to me is obvious every single time I go to wc) when I'm in bathroom amounts to less than 33%. So be aware that there's a very good chance that the man (wouldn't know about women) you're shaking your hands with hasn't cleaned them after taking his little brother down there for a piss. Sadly, this applies to emergency number 2 as well.

I don't normally care one whit what people do with their lives. But this has caught my attention, and it's something that I wouldn't exactly call a petty matter.

Another nice thing in Finland: According to statistics, some 25% of the youth here has some form of genital disease. Seeing as how it takes 2 to make a couple, there's a fifty percent chance that any given couple has a genital disease. So if you don't, then chances are great that the other one does..

Yeah well, sometimes it's better not to think about things. Sometimes, it can be a pretty good idea.

My family has always had an above-average immune system. It usually takes a few years for me for example to fall sick, and even then it's often something small (though at least as a kid when I got fever, then it was one helluva fever too). And I've never been a victim of the yearly influenza that pesters many here, or any other such things. Still, it's not as much a matter of spreading bacteria as it is a matter of general princible. I don't want to slap a piece of what comes out from my behind on every person's hand either, so I would expect others to feel the same.

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    To be honest, that's how I got the idea for this poll. I was watching Seinfeld and Jerry said something to Ellane(sp) about someone being a double dipper...I couldn't resist.

@ Foradasthar, ewww...take Finland off of my "countries to visit" list. :cry:

[Edit: WooHoo 1500 posts!] :rolling:

[ October 27, 2004, 10:25: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Okay I'm going to act really dutch here (anyone who've seen Pulp Fiction gets this one) but you can't eat french fries without the mayonaise. In fact many (not me) dutch folk have their fries with melted peanut butter, ketchup, mayonaise and chopped onions (that's together for the record). We call it 'frietje oorlog' or (french fries war)

12. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

Hahahaha!! That made my day :thumb:

On topic, Double Dipping is a sin. In fact, it should be written in the Bible that "Thou shalt not Double Dip"

Anyone caught Double Dipping should be shot, hanged, drawn & quartered and run over by a truck.

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, I've seen that happen at my university. Men going from toilet cabins straight to the door. And not all of them seemed to be students...

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    AMEN!

Oh man, that made my day!

On a more disgusting note; at work last night I saw 4 coworkers eating this...stuff...that looked like the most vile thing you can imagine, and they were dipping these toquito looking things in it. Each person just kept dipping their toquitos in the "dip" after each nibble...it made me lose my appetite. I mean come on people! We're not still living in caves, eating from a communal plate... :nono: :rolling:

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think all of you should move into a sanitized room and never touch another living being again. The only way you can be safe!

16. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

AMEN joacqin!

All you people saying "oh that's just gross!", come on! Really, who cares, dip once, dip twice, its not like I'm urinating in the dip or spitting gallons of flem-filled salyva into it! It doesn't matter, the dip is still the same, and if it tastes good; enjoy it! Bacteria is everywhere, get used to it. If not then its to that isolated sanatized room for you!

I hope those of you people who are against double-dipping don't eat from fast-food restaurants like McDonalds. They can be quite unclean but nobody cares!

EDIT: My first ever second page! :D

17. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Really? You know, I got herpes and karies in the army because of being forced to eat from the same cup with 2 other people.

After 6 months I found out I had 7 holes in my teeth, SEVEN! I don't think I'd had that many in my entire life before. Sure, brushing my teeth twice a day removes the problem, but still.

And herpes only appears a few times a year and then disappears in a few days, so that's not a serious problem either.

** For those who don't know, herpes (lip herpes) is the thing that causes that rash like spot appear around your lips every now and then, otherwise harmless. Karies (whatever it is in English) is a bacteria that enhances the decay of your teeth (causes holes).

But, I got 2 types of disease that cannot be cured, and last for an entire lifetime, because of eating another person's saliva. While both of these might be very common, I had neither before. And there's a very good chance you'll get something a whole lot more serious than these.

Being paranoid about bacteria is one thing, being sensible is another. There is a very real, practical reason why some of those "rules" exist. If you believe it's ok to stick food in your mouth, chew it some, and then spit it back into the bowl again, then make sure all the people around you know you're doing this. Let them decide wether they're being paranoid or wether they have the reason to be concerned for their own health. And the health of others I might add.

18. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

when i first saw the topic headline, i thought of nothing like this. but yes, sometimes i double dip, depending on the chip aswell as the dip.

19. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I doubt you got the karies from another person, I am no expert but I was under the impression it isnt a transferable bacteria.

As for herpes you are pretty much either immune to it or you have it. ~70% of everyone carries the herpes virus but of those only 20% or something have it active. If you are one of those who would get it active you will get it sooner or later and if you dont you are one of those who are immune.

20. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Both wrong.

I had the same dentist who checked my teeth in the beginning of the army and after it. I doubted and he confirmed that I had gotten karies during the army. Yes, it is an infectious bacteria.

As for herpes, it's well known (and confirmed by a friend of mine who is the former town doctor of Tammisaari (or Ekenäs, for Swedish)) that for example kissing someone who has an active herpes will probably get you infected. In my case I was given the advice to never let other people drink from the same mug or use the same tools when eating as I did, as it could be active even when I didn't see it or feel it.

I don't think it's a coincidence that one of the people I ate with from the same mug had an active herpes at the time, and that I got it for the first time in my life just after that camp either.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.