1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Dating Ages

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by DragonRider SkyWard, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Actually, Tal- it is close to a scientifically proven fact. There is a higher tendency of earlier wiring of frontal lobe neurons in the brain in females than in males. These connections are those that infuse us with a sense beyond the primal state, lending to us a reason beyond perceptions of pain/pleasure. If you classify maturity as the ability to reason things out, to understand something beyond merely what it means to you in terms of pain/pleasure (any animal can make such narrow distinctions), then the wiring of these neurons is causally related to "maturity". Case after case, study after study has resulted in the same findings: overwhelmingly girls reach this state before guys.

The funny thing is, the Politically Correct (i.e. Girls == Boys- ooh and vice versa so as not to hurt any feelings) version of this is not, in fact, correct. This is the case in several other instances, but I wont get into those...

Amon-Ra

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] PC and euphemisms are used to cover a wide variety of things that we know are more or less true, usually to lessen the impact of throwing such a blunt statement into someone's face, or to prevent the overgeneralizing effect. I could come up with dozens of generalizations for women that most males would certainly consider true (from their own personal experience, not based on some obscure stereotypes), but most women wouldn't, just on the principle that these days such things aren't valid any more. Whether that would be true or the side-effect of denial caused by feminist philosophy is a matter for another debate.

So saying in general, without any info backing it up, that males tend to mature slower is just about as accurate as saying that women tend to be more sentimental than men, and cry more often. True in real life? I won't say yes or no because that'd be going off topic here. I can say without much thinking though, that most modern women would disagree with that statement. Whether research proved it to be true or not. The most commonly used objection is that men are just as sentimental, but that they just bury their feelings instead of letting them out. Excuses like that abound for practically any female generalization you can think of.

So, you see, PC is a curious issue, and a very interesting topic for discussion. If anyone wants to take it into another thread, please do, but let's keep this thread focused on the intended topic.

(Btw, this was more of an expansion on my original post than a direct reply to Amon-Ra. My point there was not really whether it's scientifically proven or not. PC hardly ever takes that into account.)

3. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Hence my objections to PC. Objecting to meanings of a statement, given that its true, in no way makes the statement false. PC in some cases can be a good way to ignore complications of issues and unfounded generalizations, but statements that have validity- (i.e. Men can't birth children, taller people are better at reaching objects high on shelves, black people get sunburns less easily, nordic peoples are more capable of survival in the cold than arabic people, and finally- women's brains develop faster than men's)- are simple statements of truth, backed up by scientific evidence. To ward against their use is to be blind to these truths. I do not care as to the social ramifications of such statements, I think anyone who willingly fails to realize them upon some sentiment that they detract from equality is in that sense a fool.

Yes, in general, scientifically tested and true, women's frontal lobe neurons fuse faster than men's. They mature faster. I'd rather be correct than politically correct any day.

(again just a clearing up of points)

This is the foundation for the argument that there IS a difference in the mental development of the sexes, and that by this difference, while women are developing a sense of identity and exploring the world of emotions and reason, men are often still in a stage that is much more primal.

I don't think anyone would claim that ALL men ONLY want sexual contact during adolesence, but I do believe that a scientific case could be made, and has been made and supported that men have a higher tendency to focus on such things than women of equal age. Where do you think these gross generalizations you see come from? Less extreme truths taken to an extreme extent to heighten the point. That does not make the less extreme truth any less valid.

Amon-Ra

[ October 07, 2002, 03:34: Message edited by: Amon-Ra ]

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, you're building your whole argument on the point that I said hardly matters as far as PC is concerned (and no, I'm not defending it, just telling it as it is), so I can't really argue with you. You're talking about something entirely different. But ok, let me start talking about vaguely the same thing as you are. Scientific findings change quite often, so calling something like that a general truth is a bit near-sighted.

And those examples of yours are hardly valid. Going from "Men can't birth children" right to "women's brains develop faster than men's"... I mean, come on. The first is an obvious general truth, as are the rest of your examples, up to the last one which clearly doesn't fit. I think it'll be quite a few more years (and much more research on the subject) before you can bunch up statements like "women's brains develop faster than men's" along with general truths. How old is that scientific research you're basing your claims on, anyway? How many people have tried to prove it wrong and failed? Something doesn't become true just because one research comes up with findings that support it. It takes years of flawed attempts to disprove it before that happens.

And finally, how do you prove an actual connection between fusing of frontal lobe neurons and a concept as wide as maturity, which depends on about a million other factors besides the actual cell structures?

[ October 08, 2002, 00:26: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.