1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Dare to Download?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Kitrax, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I don't want to talk about the rights and wrongs of dowloading copyrighted material here, there is already another thread on CD Burning, (even though things have moved on a bit since it was last posted to).

I would be interested to know the links to the stories that you have seen BTA, if you can recall them.

I have a feeling that the respectable family that settled for $2000 were so mortified by their child's aberrant (normal) behaviour that they wanted the whole matter forgotten about as soon as possible. All the RIAA want at this moment in time is for people currently uploading to own up, stop, and sign an affidavit that they won't do it again.

[Gratuitous]
    Madonna could fart in a bottle and sell it for more than $2000. The amount shows how shakey the RIAAs grounds for prosecution are.
    [/Gratuitous]

Does anyone have more facts about the legal issues involved in the current spate of prosecutions?

A quick note about the title of this thread, it should read 'Dare To Upload' as, to the best of my knowledge, it is people who have the Share option on Kazaa etc set and who are uploading copyrighted material that are getting their wrists slapped. :heh:

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I originally read them in my daily LA Times newspaper, but here's a link about the settlement with the 12-year-old: http://netscape.com.com/2100-1105_2-5073717.html

It mentions at the end about the college students that were previously sued back in April (their settlement amounts were considerably larger).

I'm sure you can find plenty of articles on the web if you searched for them.

3. night_hawk Banned

I dont care! beats me. there downloading illegal music too. they just dont tell.

4. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I think what Night Hawk is trying to say is 'Let he who is is without sin cast the first stone'. Maybe the head of the RIAA should be made to undergo a lie-detector-test to find out how much copyrighted material he/she/they had illegally copied during their lifetime.

The RIAA are using their financial might and Justice's blindfold to scare people away from fighting against the RIAA's prosecutions. Who can afford the legal expenses involved in fighting such a case? No single person or family can. The penalties for losing the case are sufficiently huge to destroy a person. Where is the balance? How is this any different from blackmail?

The RIAA is striking out at the most vulnerable people it can find. It is up to America as a nation to stand up to the RIAA. Is that going to happen? I don't think so.

If you consider the prosecutions so far to have been successful, the you will also have to consider the prosecution of Micheal Jackson as having been successful. (Wouldn't be today, he would use the same tactics as the RIAA).

How did the people of the USA react to his guilt?
    Business as usual. They still buy his music. The music industry creates 'untouchables' and is itself untouchable because the people of America have created it this way (i.e. passed the DMCA).

It looks like another child has had her innocence torn away by the music industry. There is no Santa, there is no Superman, there is no people's champion in the USA (not amongst its Government Officials anyway).

'I believe the children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way'. Whitney Huston.

If the RIAA has taught Brianna LaHara a lesson, it is how to legally intimadate others. I wonder who the first people she will sue are going to be? The RIAA for bringing unwarranted mental trauma down upon the head of childish child perhaps?

I'm glad I'm not (completely) stupid. Stupid people are going to keep getting caught doing what the smart people are consistently getting away with. But if I'm allowed to finish as I began,

'What happens to the least of my brothers and sisters happens unto me.'

'To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.'

'Vive La Resistance!'

[ September 18, 2003, 09:41: Message edited by: Bluin ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.