1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Conspiracy theories

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Clixby, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    T2,
    when you label as conspiracy theory only things that involve the government, you build a strawman, only to kill it.

I think Enron's accounting standard was a very real conspiracy, and not a theoretical one. A very corporate conspiracy, too, certainly with the intent to defraud.

And I probably forgot to mention Bush in the cooking thread on Whatnots. Thanks for reminding me.

2. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    The 9/11 was either a conspiracy or very bad luck.

Plus, I know my brother has plans to steal my teddy-bear to cover up the fact that he's an alien. Scary stuff.

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    :lol: Ragusa, slipping there. And I was about to mention another president who got caught but I guess I'll have to wait for AoLS.

Surprise, Surprise, Rally and I agree. (We usually do for those who don't know about our little conspiracy.)

I was going to post something great but realized all I would be doing is copying Rally. I'll amplify a little that, yes, I think the Political Bureaucrats get manipulated into the conspiracy.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Great response Ragusa -- absolutely priceless.

You follow through on my point exactly. I'm not a big conspiracy theory fan. Usually, the term 'conspiracy theory' brings to mind some secret society somewhere (usually in a top secret part of the government) plotting to bad things. Whatever those bad things may be is usually left entirely up to the individual spouting the theory.

I've worked with many people who actually believe there are entire sections of the government out to 'get them.' In reality, those former co-worker should be more concerned with the criminals conspiring to steal their money -- as you aptly pointed out.

There are a lot of unethical people conspiring to commit crimes, but most 'conspiracy theories' are fiction.

5. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Whenever a powerful company gives you money to be elected, you become its puppet.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I also don't believe in conspiracy theories, simply because, at least for the ones listed, a HUGE number of people would have to be involved in order to pull it off, with none of them later blabbing their mouths off. What's the saying? Two men can keep a secret if one of them is dead?

7. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

The price of oil---but that is a publicly known conspiracy.

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I have heard it this way: If two people know a secret, it has already been compromised. If three people know it, it is no longer a secret. Either way it pretty much sums up why I don't believe in large-scale conspiracies involving thousands of government employees, not all of whom would be trustworthy.

I can see how a relatively small group of for example CIA people could pull off the Kennedy murder and keep it a secret between them. I can't see how several thousand people could pull off a giant operation like faking a Lunar landing (or rather six landings plus Apollo 13) and get away with it. It would take so much planning and scheming and secrecy that it would be much easier and safer to just build a rocket and send it to the Moon with three men on board!

EDIT: I think I have posted this before (in Whatnots) but here is the proof that not only have we never been to the moon - no, The Moon doesn't exist!

[ February 12, 2007, 21:40: Message edited by: Montresor ]

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actually is doesn't need even a thousand or maybe even an hundred. Since we aren't mentioning presidents here I won't go into that but trust me watch out for that third person.

Especially if they can get paid for their information.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My all time favourite one is the one where you fold up American notes of various demonimations and they illustrate various stages of the 11 September 2001 attacks. Do a search for dollar bill conspiracy or something to find the instructions, if you have not seen this one already.

Basically, this theory is suggesting that the masons or some such other ancient party were involved (and clearly had been since the day the design of the notes was first released). Brilliant.

11. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

The most scary thing is, HB, that some people actually believe it.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I believe you can do the folding - because I have a US$20 in my wallet which I have tried it on.

13. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Weird question but... Why do you have a 20 US dollar note in your wallet?

14. Nakia

Media:
    Probably for the same reason I have a box full of British, French and Italian coins. Left over from a trip.

Now I'm curious about this bill folding conspiracy. Maybe we can play that instead of bingo at one of the meetings. Hate Bingo.

PS: 'Jewelry' drawer with all the other crap.

[ February 12, 2007, 23:14: Message edited by: Nakia ]

15. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, a box full probably away in a cupboard somewhere. Not in your wallet!

16. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Wait, you can fold coins now? :p

17. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

There's a knack to it that the Illuminati have kept secret for generations to prevent people from learning the Truth.

That's right, people, it's all in the coins.

18. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    After thinking about it for a while maybe conspiracy theories have a valid place....

President Kennedy was killed in Texas, President Bush was Govonor of Texas AND Bush's Baked Beans are the top selling beans in America.

COINCIDENCE?!?! I THINK NOT!!!

You heard it first here: Bush's Baked Beans was involved in the assassination of Kennedy AND put Bush (both of them) into the White House. Bush (senior) served with the CIA and was obviously instrumental in the the failure to assassinate Castro. Bush junior was intentionally kept in the National Guard as a way to ensure he would be in power while Castro was still alive!

It all makes so much sense now... Iraq, blood for oil, no child left behind... they are all Castro PLOTS!!! Castro is actually ruling America! The only brief respite was the Clinton Administration. Monica Lewinski must also be a Castro agent! And Bush's Baked Beans must be a money laundering company for Castro and his drug trade! Wow, to think I missed all the dots before.

19. Nakia

Media:
    @T2Bruno, that one is so wild but well put together that I expect that by tomorrow it will be all over the Internet. :D

20. Harbourboy

It's left over from when I was last in the USA (um, which was in Oct 2002). Anyway, US notes clearly have mystical masonic powers, so why wouldn't I carry US$20 with me?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.