1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Circumcision?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I may be completely ignorant here but this topic has greatly surprised me. As far as I knew, only certain religious groups practice circumcision. I had no idea the majority of boys in the US were circumcised. I dont think many people at all in the UK are circumcised but I havent got a clue really, if I asked my mates they'd probably just laugh at me. I voted that it is allowed legally here but again I'm not sure though I would imagine it is.

2. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    It is odd that it was ever a standard procedure in the US, seeing as how the New Testament leans against it. I was never circumcised and I won't have my sons circumcised. Also, to add a little raw data to the discussion: look here . The early data is old, centering around the 1940s-'50s, but further down you'll find data up to 2004. The national average for the US is about 50/50, and seems to be fluctuating only a little, but it varies wildly with region.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    jaded,
    sadly, a close miss. Hat tip :D

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Really? I went ahead and looked through the new testament looking for some indication that circumcision was no longer required. All I could find was this:

Matthew 5:17-18- Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Doesn't look like the new testament leans against circumcision to me....

5. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Since majority of people are Muslims here, even Atheists have their children circumcised to prevent future problems.

This method doesn't work on me. :lol:

6. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Where I come from circumcision has pretty much become a part of life. Most people here are heavily prejudiced against uncircumcised males.
    Most of the time though the process is done around the time a boy reaches 6 years old, since not everyone here was born in a hospital.

I don't think too much about the subject myself. Too many factors there. (3rd world country, main religions: Roman/Independent Catholicism, Islam)

7. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

ROFLMAO

8. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

As I stated the mother was a muslim so no there's no religious exception. And yes there probably is a medical exception, I don't think an assault case can be made if a procedure is done for medical reasons. This is a small country and such travesties of justice would quickly find themselves in the press. It's possible that there's a loophole which prevents even medical circumcisions and such cases are never prosecuted but I doubt it.

I'd like to point out though that the legistlation is quite vague and does not very clearly ban circumcision, the practice has probably been going on (especially within the muslim and jewish minorities) for years with no one bothering to prosecute.

9. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Ah, so it's much like laws and ordinances against jaywalking in metropolitan areas - no one bothers enforcing it unless someone is very blatantly breaking it. Okay.

10. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Drew:
    You may want to look a little harder next time:

"Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is a new creation." Galatians 6:16

Elsewhere, Paul says he wishes those Christians that were preaching circumcision would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!

11. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    In other words, Christ's disciples and Paul, the non-Jewish Roman, went directly against his teachings after his death. Brilliant.

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

What's the useless piece of flappy skin at the end of a penis?

A MAN!

(sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.