1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Boring sports

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Shell, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Myth Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Baseball is certainly the most boring sport ever. How can people get so excited over this stuff I wonder, nothing to see really.

But since it is out of the list, I'd point basketball as the most boring sport TO WATCH. I enjoy playing it from time to time (when not playing football), but watching it is hella boring and redundant. It is far more thrilling when you see two teams using their finest strategies and doing their best to score at least once like in football, than watching teams score every ten seconds like in basketball.

Btw where is volleyball? Now this is a sheer torture to watch. :help: :bang: :nuts:

2. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It was a tough call between golf and snooker but in the end I went for golf.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I went for golf too - it's just so dull...

Never even knew that snooker was televised, though...

4. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Basketball.

5. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Cricket from the list and as for sports, which are not included in this list, every sport which is based almost solely in physical strength and fitness and not to technique or strategy (Weight lifting, running etc.).

These things are included in basketball as well. Basketball teams are always following a general strategy and certain plans for both attack and defense. I don't know in which level your playing basketball, I guess that it must be neighbourhood or school level, but if you ever play in a real team you will realize that attacking and defending in basketball are very complicated procedures. IMO the only disadvantge of basketball, when it is compared with football, is that in basketball the best team almost always win.

Edit: Guess from which sport football has copied the zone defense.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I suppose that explains why zonal defence doesn't work :lol: .

7. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

But it does! (If the other team cant shoot and if you know HOW to play a zone)

The above statement refers to basketball is in no way ment to treat injury or sickness.

8. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

:eek: ...You don't know a thing about weightlifting or running, do you ? :rolleyes:

Technique is ALWAYS important, in every kind of sport.

9. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I picked golf. I can't believe there are people out there who would go to golf events and stand there and watch a hole.

I've watched snooker / pool a few times. Competition is quite boring; it seems whoever is at the table keeps playing forever. The other guy hardly gets a chance. And since the initial setup is always the same, it seems that each game is almost the same.

But, you should try watching trick shot snooker or pool. This is a bit more interesting to watch because the players set up fancy called shots and try to make them, and dare their opponent to make it. Some shots are just crazy.

As for baseball, I like watching the pitcher. Mixing up pitches and changing strategy to fool hitters is a big mind game that I indulge in. If the pitchers suck, I don't like watching. The game becomes lop-sided too soon.

10. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I know many things about weightlifting and running. Ofcourse in these sports there are some techiques but like it or not they are mainly based on strength and fitness. As I have already said in another thread if I do enough training and take a load of drugs it is very possible that one day I'll become as good as Pyrros Dimas in weightlifting or as Carl Lewis in running but not matter how much training I do and how many drugs I take I will never be able to do the things that Zidane and Jordan do with the ball.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, I would have to say that I could easily watch all of those sports on TV. Golf can be gripping stuff when it gets close. We were glued to the TV when Michael Campbell was fighting off Tiger Woods over the last 9 at the US Open. Bet I guess from that list, I would have to choose golf because you can't really see what is going on when you watch on TV. The other game that I find tough to watch on TV is ice hockey, mainly because I struggle to see the puck. When I went to a live game, it was much better.

Cricket and baseball are fantastic to watch. They are slow burning sports where the tension builds slowly.

Most sports can be exciting or dull to watch depending on the game. Close games in any sport are great, whereas as one-sided games are usually more boring.

12. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

In the Raiders Cup you can support USA or Europe and even in most 'sacred' fields, there are lots of people who support one or other guy.

The list is too short, Indy Car isn't there, Poker isn't there, Outdoors isn't there (how funny could be watching some guy fishing or hunting), and many more.
    I like Baseball, I used to stay 4 hours watching a game, but there are times when, even if I like the game, some games are just boring; that happens in all sports, sometimes a soccer game is too boring to watch but sometimes you get to watch a 'Liverpool - Milan' game.
    So I can't vote for any of them because I can watch them all and sometimes I can't.
    But that's is just my humble opinion.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sydax, I think you mean the Ryder Cup. Also there are other competitions where you compete as a country (like the Eisenhower Trophy). Finally, each golfer always comes from a country anyway, so New Zealanders support Michael Campbell and Fijians support Vijay Singh.

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

#1: Golf. What the hell? I mean: what the hell? Guy is poking some ball into a hole and everyone watches for good 2 hours how he ponders the arc of shot and how the grass is aligned.

#2: Tennis -especially women's tennis, where they just go "aah!" and "gaah!" and then it is over. Men at least have some attitude.

Nomination for the most interesting sport: women's beach volleyball. Gotta love those tight bikinis and camera showing their handmarks behind their rear. :xx:

15. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Golf - Quite fun to play, but its 'as dull as dish water' to watch

American Football - stop, start, stop start etc its like watching sheep jump fences

Snooker - snore

Football/Soccer - bor-ring!

16. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Poker. *yawn*

Don't you people know that the purpose of televised golf is so that people in [insert name of favorite dreary location] can see the sunshine? :D :roll:

17. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Poker, billiards, and golf; this wierd sport only played by Canucks, Scotts, and Aussies involving old people rolling round rocks down a green; many olympic sports, especially figure skating; fake TV sports such as WWF, Ironman, (remember this?) American Gladiator, and reality-TV "races"...

I kinda doubt it; certainly you could get alot bigger, stronger, and faster with the right drugs and training, but it seems to me it requires a huge amount of natural talent to get to the very top of these fields.

18. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    It's not the Olympic SPORTS, I find boring, it's the TV coverage that focuses on the "human interest" crap instead of the athletic endeavors. Why must we be subjected to every possible moment of gymnastics and figure skating, including preliminaries and exhibitions, when other sports are contending for medals? Aren't those athletes human beings who are worthy of our interest, too?

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I voted for golf - there are few things so boring as when I am with my grandparents or uncles for a week-end get together and they are watching golf all afternoon. About the only thing more boring would have to be auto racing (if you can call that a sport) - huge stretches of cars circling with infrequent changes in position and the odd crash just doesn't entertain me.

Baseball is typically boring to watch on t.v. although if it is a good game it can be fun.

I have never cared much for watching Basketball - there is too much scoring for me to get excited about any particular scoring play.

Personally I like to watch Ice Hockey on t.v. - you will sometimes get a dull game but more often than not it is fun to watch. Personally I find football/soccer to be typically played too conservatively/defensively for my taste and ice hockey gives you pretty much the same idea but with quicker pace, typically greater emphisis on offence, and some bonecrushing bodychecks for good measure.

Personally I like watching snooker on t.v. - the vantage points, generally decent quality of commentator analysis and the skill of the pros makes it quite enjoyable in my mind. Curling is also fun to watch for the same reasons.

Tennis on t.v. is generally good for camera angles and replays but the commentary tends to be horrible so I am somewhat mixed on that one.

I have never watched cricket on t.v. - o.k. I have never watched cricket period - we just don't play it in Canada.

20. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Golf.
    By the gods! If there ever was an activity which should never have made its way to TV, this is it. :rolleyes:

Basket ball does not deserve to be in this category. The action is fast paced and exciting. Ofcourse the Pistons almost bored me out of my skull using their defensive blocking tactics. Aleast Carl Malove with his fake falling was funny.
    Still it is marred by the extensive and numerous breaks. If only we could watch the cheerleaders in all their glory.

Both the great american sports, Baseball and their pansy version of Rugby which you dare call football, are also the ultimate bores.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.