1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Best weapon type and worst weapon type...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Jaguar, May 26, 2004.

1. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Simple really. I am not asking for the specific weapons, just the best (most useful) and worst (most useless) types of weapon. Feel free to list the pros and cons.

Oh, and just to make things simpler, I will split each on two ways. One will be hand to hand weapons, the other will be distance.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 4 question(s). 75 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Best weapon type and worst weapon type... (75 votes.)

Best weapon type -- Hand-to-hand (Choose 1)
    * Dagger - 0% (0)
    * Short Sword - 7% (5)
    * Scimitar - 7% (5)
    * Long Sword - 40% (30)
    * Bastard Sword - 11% (8)
    * Two-Handed Sword - 24% (18)
    * Battle Axe - 7% (5)
    * Club - 0% (0)
    * Mace - 0% (0)
    * Morning Star - 0% (0)
    * Flail - 1% (1)
    * Warhammer - 1% (1)
    * Quarterstaff - 1% (1)
    * Spear - 0% (0)
    * Halberd - 1% (1)

Worst weapon type -- Hand-to-hand (Choose 1)
    * Dagger - 21% (16)
    * Short Sword - 3% (2)
    * Scimitar - 5% (4)
    * Long Sword - 0% (0)
    * Bastard Sword - 0% (0)
    * Two-Handed Sword - 0% (0)
    * Battle Axe - 0% (0)
    * Club - 43% (32)
    * Mace - 0% (0)
    * Morning Star - 1% (1)
    * Flail - 1% (1)
    * Warhammer - 3% (2)
    * Quarterstaff - 4% (3)
    * Spear - 17% (13)
    * Halberd - 1% (1)

Best weapon type -- Distance (Choose 1)
    * Short Bow - 12% (9)
    * Long Bow - 16% (12)
    * Composite Bow - 56% (42)
    * Crossbow - 7% (5)
    * Sling - 1% (1)
    * Dart - 3% (2)
    * Throwing Axe - 5% (4)
    * Throwing Dagger - 0% (0)

Worst weapon type -- Distance (Choose 1)
    * Short Bow - 1% (1)
    * Long Bow - 0% (0)
    * Composite Bow - 0% (0)
    * Crossbow - 8% (6)
    * Sling - 9% (7)
    * Dart - 47% (35)
    * Throwing Axe - 12% (9)
    * Throwing Dagger - 23% (17)

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

[​IMG] Well, for BG1 Scimitars is a pretty useless proficiency to have, as you can't find any... or do you with TuTu installed? I'm just starting a game with it, so I wouldn't know.

I have strangely fallen in love with slings as a ranged weapon. My Bounty Hunter makes 2-3 times more damage with a sling than with a short bow (is it because the strength modifier is also added?). But I have noticed that even when I am proficient with slings, I only get 1 attack/round as opposed to the 2 attacks/round that I get with any other ranged weapon. I wonder why?

3. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Well, there aren't many scimitars, but Drizzit's sure do kick if you can get them. :thumb:

-EDIT-
    Let me refraise, you can steal one of his scimitars, but you have to fight him to get the other, and it is difficult.

[ May 26, 2004, 12:47: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

4. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Does Drizzt have the same scimitars in BG as in SoA? I have recently bought the game and are actually wondering about the same as Jaguar here!

I've played only the very beginning, so i found the Bastard Sword to be excellent. Daggers stink though i think. As for ranged, my i've only tried the shortbow, so i guess my vote goes for that one. Worst? i've always hated darts...

5. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

as far as i remember Scimitars counts as longswords in unmoded bg. but it has bin a long time, since i allways play with tutu installed

6. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Scimitars count as short swords, IIRC. Druids could equip Drizzt scimitars in non-TuTu BG, and short sword proficiency helped their THAC0 when using them.

7. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I like longswords because you can get varscona pretty early, I think it's on the surface of the Nashkell mines. It is pretty good. How do you use Balduran's butter knife?

8. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

You use it to spread butter on your bread, how else! :rolleyes:

Anyway there is also a magical scimitar in Durlag's Tower, the roof IIRC guarded by basilisks.

I agree that long swords are the best in BG, Varscona is one of the, if not the best weapon in the game. But if you have Tales I'd choose 2 handed style, there is a +3 sword in Durlag's Keep.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    No scimitars are large swords. In BG1, there's only two divisions of swords, large and small.

Large includes scimitars, long swords, bastard swords and two handed swords.

Small swords include only short swords and daggers.

My favorite has to be axes for all warrior-type classes. It is single handed, so you can still use a shield, you can get a +1 axe very early on in the game, and you also can get throwing axes, so it's a selection that gives you both a melee and missile weapon. As you go throw the game, you can get a +2 axe, a +2 throwing axe, and Bala's Axe for disrupting magic users - a very versatile proficiency indeed.

Worst would have to be club, as AFAIK, there are NO magical clubs in the game. Although a close second would have to be spear. There's only a +1 variety, and it prevents you from using a shield. Granted halberds and spears are in the same class, and there ARE better halberds available, but it doesn't do you any good if you are a druid.

Missile weapons are pretty balanced IMO. I like axes, but thrwoing daggers also work, and you can't go wrong with any type of bow (short, long or composite). I guess I'd vote for Crossbow, as they have a very low rate of fire (one per round).

10. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Longswords, I've always had a thing about longswords, and as mentioned abovce, its not too ahrd to get some pretty decent weapons kind of early in the game. Ranged weapons, not bothered about, can't remember much anyway, it's been a pretty long time since I last played the original BG.

Worst weapon is definately the club, or darts, no idea why, but darts just annoy me.

11. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

hmmm, if you have a druid, unless you want to take Drizzt's scimitar, your best bet is getting the short sword proficiency for the Dagger of Venom +2 (as absurd as it might seem to have Jaheira running around with a dagger and a large shield). She's also pretty hardcore with Darts of Stunning...

12. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I like warhammers, since blunt damage is my favourite. I hate short swords as they seem to do so little. I often use crossbows, even though they are slow, since I just love 'em

13. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Any of the weapons where there is a +2 variety that can be good. The really important aspect is to get at least a +1 magical weapon for everyone as soon as possible to get away from annoying breakage.

I like axes and daggers...easy and early acquire +1, later get +2, later get boomerang.

The damage output of halberds is really good and you can get a +1 real early and easy just on the map south of nashkell and the +2 halberd is a real menace.

Most any setup that has a character that uses a bow also has them using a 2-h weapon such as halberd or staff.

14. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I can't believe so many people voted darts as the worst missile weapon. It has to be one of the best anti-mage weapons in the game - 3 attacks per round, very fast and some cool abilities on the magic ones.

15. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I like to give darts proficiency to fighters. They can pump out a couple rounds of darts while the enemy is closing...very effective and surprisingly deadly.

16. Siegfried IV. Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Interesting! But I use Composite Longbow for far distance and close distance. In my opinion the best weapons in BG 1 are Long Swords (Maybe for making a very heavy Fighter :p )... And also Composite Longbows (again) are very usuable for every fight. I'm sorry about my half-English. Bye!!!!!

17. Maettt Flaqq Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

My opinions:

Battle Axe: Axe of the Unyielding in a dwarven hand WILL KILL ALL OF YOU.

Club: They're basically useless, especially without any super good ones.

Throwing Axe: Dude, DWARVES use them. What else is there?

Darts: They barely eek out slings in suckiness.

18. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

You are forgetting darts of stunning - awesome!!!

19. Kemkon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Axe of the Unyielding is in BG1?!?!
    Is it me, or do you think you're in the BG2 TOB forum?
    Darts are:
    A: Faster than slings
    B: Have GOOD magical darts, unlike +1,2,3 bullets!

Mine are:
    Best Meele:
    Longsword
    Best Ranged:
    Darts
    Worst Meele:
    Clubs
    Worst Ranged:
    Slings

20. Youko Bazuttu Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

no there is no axe of unyeilding in BG1..

ur not gonna find +5 weapons in BG1 or lvl 6+ spells

yes in fact the swords in the two games are identical, and there is no onyx panther figureine (unless ud like to make one)

[ June 06, 2004, 01:58: Message edited by: Ganja420 ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.