1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Best summons: Elemental Prince or Deva?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Earl Grey, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Which summoned creature do you think is the best?

Here follows a summary of their abilities.
    My sources were reading Infinity Explorer and Xyx's Spells Reference site.
    Apologies if any of the info is incorrect.

Elemental Princes
    - Summon duration is 10 rounds.

- Fists strike as +3 weapons and dispel magic on a hit.

Sunnis
    Spells: two Earthquake.

230 HP
    AC -7
    THAC0 2 (3 attacks)
    Saves: 3-5-4-4-6
    Resistances:
    - Fire: 75
    - Electric: 0
    - Cold: 40
    - Acid: 40
    - Magic Fire: 75
    - Magic Cold: 40
    - Magic: 70
    - Slashing: 0
    - Crushing: 0
    - Piercing: 0
    - Missile: 0

Zalman Rul
    Spells: Permanent Fireshield (Red) and two Flamestrike.

160 HP
    AC -3
    THAC0 2 (2 attacks)
    Resistances:
    - Fire: 125
    - Electric: 0
    - Cold: 0
    - Acid: 0
    - Magic Fire: 125
    - Magic Cold: 0
    - Magic: 0

Chan
    Spells: Permanent Globe of Blades.

180 HP
    AC -6
    THAC0 2 (3 attacks)
    Resistances:
    - Fire: 0
    - Electric: 100
    - Cold: 70
    - Acid: 40
    - Magic Fire: 0
    - Magic Cold: 70
    - Magic: 85

Deva
    - Summon duration 24 rounds (Technically it is 4 rounds + 1 round/level).

110 HP
    AC -7
    THAC0 5 (2 attacks)
    Resistances:
    - Fire: 100
    - Electric: 100
    - Cold: 100
    - Acid: 0
    - Magic Fire: 50
    - Magic Cold: 100
    - Magic: 70
    - Slashing: 10
    - Crushing: 10
    - Piercing: 10
    - Missile: 10

- Mace that destroys undead, dispels magic and Stuns on a hit.
    - Immune to insta-kill effects
    - Regenerates
    - Spellcasting:
    Chaos, Detect Invisibility, Fireball, Flame Arrow, Haste, Magic Missile, Cure Critical Wounds, Cure Disease, Dispel Magic, Globe of Blades, Neutralize Poison, Remove Curse, Remove Fear.

* Neither summons count as summoned and thus are unaffected by things like Death spell.
    * Both summons can see the invisible.
    * Both summons are immune to weapons of +2 enchantment or lower.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 25 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Best summons: Elemental Prince or Deva? (25 votes.)

Best summons: Elemental Prince or Deva? (Choose 1)
    * Deva - 60% (15)
    * Sunnis - 16% (4)
    * Zalman Rul - 0% (0)
    * Chan - 24% (6)

2. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I have to go with Deva, but Sunnis would come in a close second.

3. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I had to put a vote in for Chan. He is abit weaker than Sunnis, but he can chop the enemies to bits with his Globe of Blades.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Sunnis sounds like he could last relatively longer, but that one of his earthquakes could damage other summons and turn them ALL hostile. So thanks but no thanks.

Zalman Rul sounds good too, but he has no magic resistance beside fire, so one or two horrid wiltings will take him down. His AC isn't that good either, when compared to others.

Chan is probably the best choise of the elemental princes, but again that spell of his can potentially turn all other summons hostile, thus you have to micro-manage him.

Deva is rather weak, and planetars can replace him in every aspect. Very good against spellcasters, though.

Of these, I would go with Chan first, second Deva. Nevertheless, planetars could wipe floor with any of these. :D

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Chan, mainly because of the Globe of Blades and his amazing Magic Resistance. While Devas last much longer, they don't seem to pack quite the same punch as the Elemental Princes. Which is why I always like to have a Druid in TOB.

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Chan, for the Globe of Blades (10D10 damage is nothing to sneeze at). Also, he's got nifty resistances, and just keeping him in harm's way allows my mages and clerics to do their thing...which is the point of summons...atleast, to me. :D

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I never knew the Elemental Summons had spells! I always used them as tanks. Granted, they don't have THAT many spells, but still, it's worth knowing.

8. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

the Deva she is always good to have, but Chan surrounded by enemies, is a killer. but then again, my summons is usually canon fodder.

9. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I used Deva only when my Sorcerer ran out of Planetars (as Dragon's Breath also quickly decreased the available 9th/10th level spells)

Sunnis is very strong and has high HP, so (non-red) dragons had practically no chance in the 33% of the cases against 2-3 Dragon's Breaths and a Planetar+Sunnis.

Since voting is possible only to one candidate, I voted to the Earth Elemental Prince, Sunnis. Although sometimes Deva is more effective, it depends on the situation.

Yeah it's a mace as far as the item type is concerned. Although players don't have to know this -- the weapon is supposed to be the angelic sword that you can see in the hand of the Deva :p

10. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

Remember, you can have both a Deva and Greater Elemental out at the same time.

11. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

I figured that this way we can see which of the Elemental Princes is most popular and also you can just add up all the votes for all Elemental Princes and compare that sum to the votes for Deva.

12. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

The only real downside of the Elementals is that you get no choice as to which one will appear, so you actually just have to take pot luck.

13. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I have to say I tend to go with the Deva. They have always really helped swing the tough fights, and I love the healing that they do.

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'd go with Sunnis, his high HP and various resistances clinch it for me. besides, if he was about to vanish (or perish, whichever comes first), I'd send him straight into the fray and cast earthquake while everyone was around him.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.