1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Poll: best & most useless subclass

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Boo II, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I thought neither barbarians nor berserkers went totally out of control, just minsc. And also, don't barbarians have faster movement too?

2. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yeah, they move a bit faster, but that didn't seem important enough to mention...

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Sol'Kanar is right. Neither one goes out of control when berserking. Barbarians don't get winded, but that honestly is nothing really worth pointing out. The berserker rage is much better, as it also protects from maze and imprisonment, the barbarian one does not.

Barbarians move about as quickly as a normal character with haste. How much of an advantage is that? Once again, not much.

The barbarian may have more hitpoints and weapon resistances, but he gets hit much more often. That's roughly an even trade.

The using ranged weapons isn't much either, as if you were thinking of using a fighter with a bow, well, you're kind of missing the point.

Barbarian is immune to backstab. Enemies very rarely backstab before ToB and in ToB, you can get equipment that makes you immune to BS (Enkidu's plate for example).

4. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hmm, you're absolutely right about the not killing party members, that was actually the one of the reasons I never used the class.

Anyway, berserker rage doesn't help vs level drain, so it's level drain vs imprisonment (barbarian rage DOES protect vs maze). I prefer vs level drain because of the ammount of undead in this game. Every enemy who cast's imprisonment is a special case and asks for a special tactics anyway.

There's nothing wrong with using a range weapon every once in a while. Red dragon scale and Shadow dragon scale are only 2 armor classes apart, and you can honestly tell me that compensates for 20% resistances AND more hitpoints? besides hp's help vs most spells and armor doesn't.

I played a barbarian to the end of ToB, and I always put him out front simply because he can take more hits than any other fighter can. It's like he just doesn't die, I never had that feeling with a fighter, so I'm positive he's stronger.

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I was not trying to attack the barbarian, but rather offer a very objective view of their abilities. I am not a major fan of either class.

Barbarians have the potential to have more hitpoints, although a dwarven berserker (with 19 Con) is pretty darn close unless you play on an easy difficulty level.

6. Aft Foreward Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I for one, like the jester. as a sub-class, it differs very slightly from the standard jester, with the same basic effect(am i right about this, i still don't get effect vs. affect?). The Avenger druid is cool to, but my favorite has to be the fighter/mage dual class. You have access to all the spells at the price of wearing no armor. With certain magical items, you can get a very respectable AC. The Flail of Ages is also awsome in the hands of a skilled fighter/mage. :evil:

[ August 08, 2002, 22:47: Message edited by: Aft Foreward ]

7. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

What potion problem? :confused:

[ August 09, 2002, 03:19: Message edited by: Abyssal Knight ]

8. Aft Foreward Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I forgot to add, if it were a fight between a strait bard and a jester (also unsure if I should capatalize a sub class name, suggestions?) the jester has an advantage since their song effects enemies whereas a bard's song effects the party. If you are playing solo, the jester is the logical choice over the standard bard. Many people ignore the difference in songs and call the jester worthless. The first time I soloed, I played as a jester, and that was one of the most fun things I have ever done in this game.

9. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The "potion problem" was that Wizard Slayers could not use anything magical except weapons and armour, including potions of healing and such. Made the class pretty much useless. The problem is gone now but, since I also have ToB installed, I am not sure if that was fixed in an SoA patch or not.

As for the good, the bad, and the ugly sub-classes, I have always liked skalds and assassins. The no-metal restrictions on beast masters is too limiting, and I have always found plain-vanilla fighters boring (not bad, mind you, just boring).

[ August 09, 2002, 04:21: Message edited by: JohnnyRTFM ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.