1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: As what character class do you see yourself?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by chevalier, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Shadow Cougar Banned

Vote for that.

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Difference between archery and gunpowder is that you can actually SEE an arrow or bolt in flight. A don't think anyone, despite how well they have honed their bodies, can dodge an accurate bullet.

Majority of violence is hand to hand, yes. But guns still exist and people still own guns. They're a wild card, anyone can use one and they defeat every other weapon hands down.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Sure doesn't look like NPC classes are coming into the majority anytime soon. I guess the majority sees themselves as above-average individuals.

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If we didn't love fantasy playing we wouldn't be here at SP. And those of us who post aren't average IMO. If earth were a D&D world I want to be a rogue. More fun.

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, sure, but what you want to be isn't always the same thing as what you see yourself as.

6. Shadow Cougar Banned

To Abomination : Well, pardon moi but that is not true, atleast not completely. You can see it, but also, you may not. Depends on the arrow performances AND the strenght of the bow. +, you'll definitely hear a bullet, while arrow...hardly.

Actually there are plots driving from ancient Japan and China that specially trained ninjas there were capable of avoiding bullets, ofcourse, depending on the distance and place where they were. You can avoid the bullet as well, IF you just know when it will fire.

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31

However the plots from China and Japan are myth and fable. You can NOT dodge a bullet, you can only move out of the gunsmans line of fire before he fires and in doing so you didn't doge the bullet because it wasn't going to hit you.

Moving before something was 'fired' doesn't mean you dodge it. Moving after something was 'fired' accurately at you and it misses you is dodging.

If I fire a bullet accuratly at someone (i.e. once it is fired it will hit them) it is insanely difficult to dodge.

8. cyrross Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I would like to think I'd be a fighter, but deep down I would probably end up a mage. I like to be in control and bask in the glow of power.
    on a side note, I see a trend of rogues beginning to appear...

9. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Dodging bullets from pistols and arrows / bolts fired from good bows / crossbows is pretty much the same thing: impossible. Sound hardly makes a difference. Compare speed of sound (around 330 meters/sec) to the speed of a bullet of say a standard assault rifle (750 meters/sec), or a pistol which is on average about half of the speed of an assault rifle. You never hear the sound of the weapon firing before the bullet hits.

But that doesn't make martial arts useless. I don't know about the US, but here in europe (or at least in the scandinavian countries) firearm offenses are very rare. The threat for melee or hand-to-hand fights is very real, though. Depending of course on the risks you take.

During my research for an essay (I think) around 5 years back, I found out about an event in China. Some anti-piratism guy was attacked by angry criminals. 3 of them, with nailed boards and baseball bats as weapons. The guy was an ex green beret -which the 3 didn't know- and completely unarmed. The result was that the 3 were all hospitalized due to multiple bone fractures etc. The guy they attacked was unharmed.

I'll never forget that story of heroism and justice in real life. And I'll never forget the very real example of how much physical superiority still means in our world today, when the law isn't around to help you.

Edit: And btw, do you know the best defensive arts in the world? Running. That's right. If you can run faster and longer than anyone else, then you can survive nearly any situation as long as you move away before the first strike / shot hits you. No matter how many adversaries you have, how strong or fast or skilled they are, what equipment (cars etc) they have, all you gotta do is get out of their initial reach and you're clear. ;)

[ August 20, 2004, 10:15: Message edited by: Foradasthar ]

10. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Sad thing about the law not being around to help you when you need it and you have to take matters into your own hands is that you can be sure the law STILL won't help you afterwards when your attackers accuse you of assault. At least that is what it is like in New Zealand. Self-defence is a very touchy subject.

Take this situation. I am attacked 5 five people. Somehow I manage to win the fight. However to win the fight I am required to resort to desperate measures since it would be impossible otherwise to win without doing so. There is a brick on the ground. I hit one of my attackers in the head with it hard enough to kill him (without the intent of killing him, only with the intent of diabling him, at the time I did not know it was hard enough to kill him, I'm a citizen, not a doctor). I report the assault to the police. I would be convicted afterwards of manslaughter despite the fact it was in self-defence.

11. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Dodging bullets/arrows and the like aside, I think the point that Monks/Martial Artists are absolete has been disproven. :) In fact, I'd pick a whole number of different classes to state as 'absolete' since there's no magic on earth as there is in DND. Goodbye Sorcerers, Wizards, etc :D

And I don't know what kind of justice system you have down there that would convict you on defending yourself against 5 men! That's just ... outrageous.

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Oh, there would be nothing bad against defending yourself, however if I was to kill one it would still be manslaughter and I'd get 7 years minimum.

13. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Doesn't it depend on how serious the threat on your life was? I mean, if they were really trying to kill you...

Ah well, enough off topicness :p

I think that rogue applies decently to me as well.

14. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Had to choose between Bard and Rogue, and it was a difficult bit... ended up with Bard, really, since I am far too clumsy to be a good rogue despite my... youthful indiscretions.

People tell me I can write, even if I get stuff thrown at me if I try reciting poetry. :p

Singing has merely gotten me glared at and told to shut up... :p

15. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Rogue baby all the way. I can dismantle stuff and am more or less nimble, and I would probably end up using something like a hand crossbow.

16. Zweanslord Gems: 1/31

I know I'd be a commoner if with a snap of the finger Earth would be transformed to D&D, but if that was the case I'd certainly go digging in on Wizardry right away if possible, thus I voted wizard.

17. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Theif of some sort.

18. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I am a clumsy individual, so not Rogue.
    I dislike traveling, so not Bard.
    As far as I know, I have no magical talents, so not sorcerer.
    I never fight no matter what, so not any of these classes. Just commoner or adept. In this society, it is difficult to view yourself as a character of a totally different environment, which is totally centered on fighting.

On the subject of self-defence, I'm rather realistic. Why would an individual try to end my life in an attack? If they want to end it for some particular reason, I'll let them. The LAST thing I'll carry around is a weapon, don't even think about a sword! (just imagine...). I someone wants me dead, I'll take it that it is wanted from above as well. And who am I to stand against God. Exactly, a commoner. VoilĂ .

19. Dibbley Gems: 1/31

The only character that fits me is a Chaotic Good Human Ranger......

20. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] @Dibbley

And why only a ranger? Like to play hide-and-seek? Is it your touch with nature and your tracking ability? Animal empathy?

The word 'only' in your post triggered this question... ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.