1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: 2-nd Edition Rules or 3-rd?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by AlexGK, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

3rd ed does bring about greater game balance with the tougher guys in a party. The additional attacks at -5 penalties as opposed to 2nd ed rules, means that high level warriors don't need to roll just single figures to hit almost everyone for each attack. Once I did the conversion to 3rd ed, some people wanted to hurt me. The rules with armour and max dex bonus finally do make sense as well.

Seriously picture a knight in full plate darting around avoiding attacks with an 18 dex - ridiculous.

In 3rd ed the rules lawyers have less to argue about, and thats just GOLD .

2. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Lokken, what I wanted to say is that it would be nice if every weapon gets different bonus for high Strentgh.And maybe high Dexterity will help a lot wielding any weapon not just the small ones.But Austin X is right about heavy armour.
    One more thing on armour - besides AC it should give some damage resistance - like armour does in Fallout games.So it gets lower AC but damage resistance.A fighter would be often hit but will take lower damage AND still any damage from low-level creatutes not just by critical hits whole one.Because a now a wizard is strong (very strong) in ONE max. TWO battles till his spells depleted, while a figher could fight a whole day with no problems.See my point?I used to play BG2 6 game days and i finished all Athakla quests without sleep.Had fighter\cleric from BG1.

PS:Lokken, my vote was that both suck so you lose :D Lets go drink somewhere ;) Besides since then i've changed my mind a lot about that, but still think 4E can be much better :cool:so thanks to you for opening my eyes :D :D :D

[ November 13, 2002, 14:00: Message edited by: AlexGK ]

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I have to admit I rarely have had more than 2 encounters in one day in pnp, but that's pnp I know. Only thing I play these days.
    Although I happily answer any questions regarding 3e :) as long as I got the book with the rule in question.

You rat bastard! I was sure it was him, hehe, but beer does sound good =D

[ November 13, 2002, 14:16: Message edited by: Lokken ]

4. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

One thing that i've missed im my life - never playd pnp game... :( :( :(

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

join an online game, if one ever hops up

6. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

where to join?And what is required i mean as time and so on?The only D&D games that i've ever playd are BG1 BG2 IWD1 and now IWD2

[ November 13, 2002, 15:28: Message edited by: AlexGK ]

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

should smack up a player app in roleplay corner or try some other boards where they rp as well. You need to be willing to learn the rules, and in some cases know the rules (depending on the mood of the dm).

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

9. Atreides Gems: 7/31

From what I've read on this thread I'm guessing that the majority opinion about 2E Vs. 3E rules is that 3E is better though with flaws (which I will go ahead and say that it does have flaws.)

10. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

well everything has flaws, just a question of how serious they be.

11. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Good job on multiclassing in 3D!!!Still fun to have multi, but not so overpowerfull :cool:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.