1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: 1000th post: PDN change needed

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Mesmero, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

This is my thousand post. I’m not mentioning this because I am proud of it, for I could actually care less. You can have a million posts, without saying anything or you can just have a hundred, with those being the most useful posts ever, or with other words; it’s about quality, not quantity. I hate spamming, and think there is still spammed by certain people, whose name I will not say (but I could point a few fingers if asked politely). There is a number even more important then post count, mine is 1126, some people have a much higher number, and a much higher post count, and those are often the spammers I mentioned. I may be in the club of 1000, but that doesn’t mean all the other members have earned their place in it.

But enough of my personal opinion, let me explain to you, why I put '1000th post' in the title. When I hit my 900th post, I made a promise to myself; to change my PDN by the time I reached number 1000. This is actually sooner then I anticipated.

Taluntain once said that PDN’s should only be changed if you had a very good reason, and I have a very good reason:
    When I registered in March 2001, I was known by the name Antoine. After about a month I got tired of being known by my real name, and wanted to change it to something else. When browsing through the BG2 manual, I saw the name Silverblade. (Silverblade was the dwarf who created Crom Faeyr, for those who are interested in knowing useless facts like that.) For a long time, I really liked this name and actually saw myself as Silverblade; I was Silverblade… until I found out everybody is Silverblade. There are a lot of users registered at some fantasy, D&D, RPG sites, by the name Silverblade, and there is a bigger chance that I am not this person, then that I am.

I met Mathetais a while ago on ALFA, and he asked me if I was Silverblade. I said yes, but then soon realized that there could have been a lot of persons who could have been called Silverblade, and replied affirmative. There is even another Silverblade registered to SP! I have the most unoriginal name and it has been used as often as Drizzt or Aragorn (no offense Aragorn II), and mistakes can easily be made, when people think I am a Silverblade from another internet place.

Since a few months I have been thinking about changing my PDN, and tried to think of an original one, as who I can identify myself. I have looked in several sources, like mythology, history, and even languages. I have thought of a few good ones, but I can’t decide, and would like to hear your opinion about a few names. I’ve made this a pole, so people can tell their preferences without explaining it, but I would like to hear from some people why they voted on a certain name, or which name they absolutely hated. I won’t promise I will change my PDN in the most popular one, but it may help on deciding which name I will choose.

Please select a name that sounds good in your opinion and fits me. I know almost nobody here actually knows me (and that is the way I like it), but you can also just look at my avatar and look which name fits with that.

Names that didn’t make the list:
    Mathonwy. Seems like a strange combination of Mathetais and Eilonwy to me. If neither of them had been registered here, I might have gone for this name.
    Xanatos. The evil business man with goatee from Gargoyles, who owns Xanatos Inc. There is actually a man named Xanatos and owns Xanatos Inc. and has a goatee. Makes you wonder…
    Antonidas. When I first started thinking about a new PDN, this name crossed my mind, but abandoned it for the lack of originality.

If you know a really good name for me, feel free to post it.

P.S. No offence to those who feel offended by me calling some people spammers. Everybody has useful posts; I just think some people lay to much emphasis on post count.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 49 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: 1000th post: PDN change needed (49 votes.)

To what should I change my PDN? (First choice) (Choose 1)
    * Abhaen - 2% (1)
    * Albrorix - 0% (0)
    * Anoraxx - 4% (2)
    * Arondight - 6% (3)
    * Bedewyr - 6% (3)
    * Beofar - 8% (4)
    * Ceithir - 8% (4)
    * Eyghon - 8% (4)
    * Kitharodos - 10% (5)
    * Mesmero - 12% (6)
    * Qatai - 4% (2)
    * Taranis - 12% (6)
    * Tenjin - 12% (6)
    * Thuasala - 2% (1)
    * Vigeous - 4% (2)

Second choice, please select something different, from your choice at question 1 (Choose 1)
    * Abhaen - 2% (1)
    * Albrorix - 0% (0)
    * Anoraxx - 6% (3)
    * Arondight - 6% (3)
    * Bedewyr - 2% (1)
    * Beofar - 4% (2)
    * Ceithir - 10% (5)
    * Eyghon - 4% (2)
    * Kitharodos - 8% (4)
    * Mesmero - 10% (5)
    * Qatai - 10% (5)
    * Taranis - 10% (5)
    * Tenjin - 12% (6)
    * Thuasala - 2% (1)
    * Vigeous - 12% (6)

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, be glad you didn't go with Xanatos... because did you know that in the Jedi Apprentice series we find out that Qui-GOn's former apprentice (who turned to the dark side and whatnot) was named Xanatos.

I like your reasoning, person-to-be-formerly-known-as-Silverblade, and although it might take me some time to get used to it, I will. Now, I am not telling what I vote because I don't want to influence anyone else. But you have some good names there. :D

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Guerilla Elf, good new name for you, no? :D

All, except one, of the names in your list are... weird. Meaningless. The one exception is Beowulf -check THIS site.

4. Mesmero

Beowulf? There isn't a Beowulf on the list.

I can guarantee you, all names have a certain meaning. I chose some of them only for there meaning, other names, I just like the way how they sounded.

I thought about a really weird name, but Guerilla Elf never crossed my mind, and I would never choose it. I want a real name, but I did concided using a name like: Blues Boy or King of Spades.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Mesmoro is a nice name, I sounds like it has an air of wisdom and superiority, dunno why though.

Could be a nice name for a dragon

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Probably because it sounds like mesmerised

I voted for Tenjin and Qatai

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I said Kitharodos and Abhaen.

8. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I would say Taranis, Qatai sounds all too much like the country Quatar... :D

9. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Heh i did the same as 8people :heh:

And no i didnt look at the posts before posting, if that what you're thinking about :rolleyes: :D

10. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I said Eyghon and Kitharodos, they just sounded *real good in da soul, ja know what I mean do ya man?* Hehe, Eyghon, if I'm pronouncing it right, sounds like some boss in a nintendo game, cool, not corny.

Wasn't Mesmero a villian in the older TV Spiderman cartoons? That's why I didn't vote for that, lack of originality *cough*blamed for supporting plagiarism*cough* type thing. What :hmm:

11. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Tenjin, is that how many you like to drink? :heh: (this is a bad pun for those who may not get it due to language barriers and the like)

12. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I settled for the one(s) that were the easiest to pronounce... which turned out to be a more difficult decision than I first thought :p

Yeah, I'd like a "less syllabic intensive workout" :D

13. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I prefered the unusual ones like Qatai and Kitharodos, just because... well they were unusual

14. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For god's sakes, NOT Anoraxx...it sounds like a laxative. :nono:

Cool sounding names, though. I may steal one for a NWN, BG or IWD character, if you don't mind. Don't worry...I'll credit you when I butt-kick for goodness. ;)

15. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I think I would like to change my name too when I reach 500 or 1000 posts because of how stupid my PDN is. Forewarning for Tal... but my PDN might be Leinad.

16. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I changed my name recently. I used the name Sol'Kanar for the longest time because I never have seen it used before and I didn't feel like coming up with something on my own. But I decided that upon my decision to visit SP more often I should come back with a new handle, so I chose one that, while more commonly seen perhaps, was sometbing I had a personal attachemnt to.

The point is, choose something because you feel it represents you more than any other reason. I don't think "drizzt" or "elminster" are very representative names generally. ;)

17. Mesmero

You were Sol'Kanar? I liked that name. I shouldn't complain however, because in a while people will say: "Why did you change your name? I liked the name Silverblade better". Maybe I should change my name to Sil the Indecisive. The most popular names, among the voters, are names I found a million reason for, not to choose them. I'm doubting between two names, and I like them both, so choosing is hard.

18. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'd suggest Mesmoro, to keep it the same as the ALFA boards. That way I don't get so confused ;)

19. Mesmero

I haven't even changed my name yet, and people start spelling it wrong. :p It is Mesmero, and that is one of the names I am considering. The other one is Kitharodos.

Thank you all for voting :thumb: You'll probably see my PDN changed in a few days.

20. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

How about Squiggle, or the artist formerly known as Silverblade?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.