1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Political YouTube Clips Thread

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Great Snook, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Talk about not being prepared! I would think that when the interview is agreed upon, both sides reach some kind of accomadation or agreement on where the interview is to go and what the boundaries are. Maybe Lauder's "people" informed him otherwise of what to expect in the interview. They were probably dead wrong and/or the other party just lied to get the interview for just this purpose.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    But even if Lauer's "people" had misinformed him about the nature of the interview, I'm shocked that Lauer didn't know who Malkin was going into the interview, and what to expect based on other media outlets she frequents. (She is a very public figure.) It's inexcusable on Lauer's part if he was this unprepared. (Oh, and to be clear, I don't like Malkin at all, but I'm not the least bit surprised by the interview she gave here.)

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I liked her. Not because of what she said -- some of those things were a bit overboard -- but anyone who can shut Matt Lauer up like that is aces in my book.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What is it with the Republicans and their love affair with the word "hate"? The left "hates" this blogger the most? Seriously? In my experience, most outspoken Republicans are generally the ones to hate various ideas and people, with the Dems far, far behind in the hate department. To me, at least, hate represents a rather irrational and very strong emotion - we even have a rule here not to throw the hate accusation around left and right because in 90% of cases, it's nowhere near justified. Yet it keeps popping up in Republican rhetoric. As if the only explanation some Republicans can think of why someone disagrees with their POV is that they hate them. How childish is that? It's like in primary school, when kids complain that they got a bad grade on a written exam because the teacher hates them, not through any fault of their own.

I don't know, it just stands out so immaturely to me that hate is the last thing I feel when I see it - pity probably comes the closest. It's really sad.

Chandos the Red likes this.
  5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Tal - Well, sure. Did you notice that no one commented on what Malkin actually said. It appears that for some, the only value the clip had was making Matt Lauer look foolish. End of story (sorry, but since that seemed its only value, I didn't bother to waste my time clicking on it). It's entertainment politics.

This charade of a "debate" goes down while people lose their jobs, their health care, their homes. Isn't it pretty?

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Speaking of hate, did you see that Glenn Beck said that Obama doesn't like white people and is a racist this morning on the morning Fox News show? It was so over the line that even Fox released a statement that Glenn Beck's views are his own and not representative of the show or the station.

I actually chuckled about not liking white people - I wonder if that includes his mom and his grandparents?

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Tal,

In this case "hate" is the accurate word. Just wait for DR to come back and you will see what I mean :) . She likes to publish the "hate" mail she receives and recently Playboy published an article that she was one of the top conservatives people would like to rape (although I think they used the term "angry sex). As to who "hates" more I have to disagree with your observation.

@Chandos

I think there are plenty of people who are talking about it. Last I saw her book was #1 on Amazon. I probably could have posted this in a liberal media bias thread, but since it was Youtube I went with this one.

@Aldeth

While I haven't seen the clip, I was taking it more as a reverse Kanye West (for those who don't remember he is the one who on live tv said "George Bush hates black people"

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Of course she does! She mongers and traffics in hate. The idea is to bring out the most anger and resentment in the people who waste their time listening to her. You don't suppose for a minute that she has an interest in reasoned debate or problem solving, do you? But it's not surprising that she receives a fair amount of hate mail. What you sow, you reap. Even schoolchildren know that.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    TGS,

There are plenty of hatemongers on both sides of the aisle. The thing that turns me off about the likes of Malkin and Coulter is that they are intentionally inflammatory. They say what they say just to piss people off, even if they don't have a point to what they are saying. At least people like Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh say what they say for ratings, even if they do believe 90% of the crap they spew.

I also remember the Kanye West thing, but I think that Beck has a just slightly larger audience and Fox and Friends in the morning. (I should also make clear that while I don't like GWB, I do not think he is a racist and/or hates black people.) But Beck's comment was far more curious than Kanye's comment, because half of Obama's family is white. If anything, Obama has less contact with blacks than most people while he was growing up. He was born in Hawaii and spent some time in Indonesia, so if anything he saw a lot of Pacific Islanders. Then he moved to lily-white Kansas before going to Harvard. Obama is one of the whitest black men in America,

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Wanna bet that for every Democrat hate mail quite a few more Republican ones go out? I've seen more insults than I care to remember heaped on me here over the years, yet only some of the Republicans ever accused me of hate. You probably know where the proverbial "you hate freedom" comes from. You wouldn't believe the kind of hate mail I got from a Republican recently... and when I write hate, I mean hate.

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tal, you will always get more hate mail from those who oppose your views. Your views are often supportive of Democratic party ideals, it stands to reason you would not get any hate mail from people of similar bend.

There have been many posts on the boards (especially during the Bush years) which would qualify as hate mail. Most of those posts were directed against the republican party in general. Although no one has ever really attacked me with much vigor (my views, yes, but me, no).

I would hope there are a few of us republicans who have demonstrated that we can, at times, be reasonable. Don't judge us all on the actions of a banned individual....

12. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Mayhap a "hate" thread would be appropriate, but for now, I'm just gonna dive in here on this one.

Recently a White Supremist(sic) group had a rally in Calgary. People who oppose such views also came out to counter rally. They called the Supremists "hate mongers" and such, and painted themselves as "the forces of peace and tolerance". They then proceeded to throw rocks and mud at the Supremists. So much for peace and tolerance. There was a fabulous article in the newspaper by a columnist. He was no Supremist but he just found it funny that the vast majority of the violence committed at the rallies was by the people preaching tolerance and inclusion.

I'd say there's plenty of hate on both sides of the aisle (or isle, as someone else put it, maybe we're on Gilligan's Isle!)

13. Taluntain

Media:
    T2, not quite, because the number of Republicans that ever got moderated here is infinitesimal compared to everyone else, and insults do fly from all angles. But it's only some of the Republicans that consistently throw the hate accusation around.

Of course I'm not generalizing here, by far the majority of the Republicans that I've interacted with here have been quite reasonable. But when something went wrong, only the Republicans have ever pulled the hate card on me. Which isn't to say that some of the other insults I've seen over the years haven't been much worse, but I'm just mentioning hate specifically because it does stand out.

LKD, well, that's the same as the fervently religious harassing, threatening and eventually killing abortion doctors... all in God's name, right?

14. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow. You really don't get it, do you?

I don't hate Michelle Malkin. Never did. In fact, I used to be a fan. My problem with Malkin is that she is scary. And nuts. Not scary because she is reliably and unapologetically dead wrong (and she is). Scary because she is one of many conservative commentators (Coulter, Beck, Hannity, Limbaugh, Levin) who appeal directly to guys like you - fair-mannered, hard-working, well-meaning, decent and otherwise reasonable American citizens - and whips them into a frenzy by feeding their misguided predisposition toward the idea that liberals and Democrats are the root of everything wrong with America. You then espouse this absurdity while simultaneously *****ing and whining about how unfairly you are treated by liberals and Democrats, seemingly oblivious to the irony therein.

Michelle Malkin is a cancerous presence in our discourse because she renders otherwise reasonable people incapable of reason. She has no interest in civil discourse or finding common ground, or she would take a much different approach. She's a bomb thrower. She is regularly revealed as a hysteric and a poor fact-checker, yet this criticism is always branded by her as "left-hatred" and only serves to endear her more with conservatives (men in particular). This is a woman who regularly calls her opponents "Defeatocrats," and "Terrorist Lovers," and "America Haters," and "Nutroots," and "Moonbats," and accusing a celebrity chef in a friggin' donut commercial of "jihadi chic" for wearing a checkered scarf for god's sake (I could go on for hours). And here you are, accusing "the left" of hate (and falsely including me as a member of the left, I might add) because people might have a problem with all this. Has it even occurred to you why she is so disliked outside the right? Or that it was you who introduced the word "hate" in this thread, and not 'teh left'?

Is there a point in me responding at all?

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sure; besides the fact that I really don't know Malkin other than hearing the name occasionally, you're response was an entertaining read :)

Death Rabbit likes this.
  16. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh - well, if you can reach one person... :D

Thanks, BTA.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    DR is hardcore. He just got married this weekend, so may we assume he is fighting the fight... while on his honeymoon? That's dedication!

18. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Heh, no - honeymoon is next month. This is my first day back. I will say, however, that now that I'm married, getting into the same pissing matches over the same political trivia with the same few people seems...well, less appealing than it did two weeks ago. I haven't decided yet if this means an end to my Alley career altogether or just a hiatus, but y'allz ought not expect to see me much in the next month or so (at least in the alleys). I just thought I'd respond to this last one since I was directly called out in absentia. I think we all know it'll likely get ignored by its recipient, anyway.

Huzzah.

19. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I stand corrected, there isn't any hate there. Dammit, I used that word again, I must be a hater.

Correct, I had every intention of not responding to your Malkin rant, as I figured you proved my point for me. But, since you insisted :D

20. Death Rabbit

Media:
    And thank you for proving Tal's point. Like some conservatives, you think that any criticism directed at you or another Republican you support is "hate." I really never thought your skin was this thin, but I get surprised all the time.

I don't hate Michelle Malkin, but I happen to be very critical about her style of politics and the kind of rhetoric she inspires and trades in. I was very specific about why I feel this way. Is that hateful of me? To criticize an obviously very hateful woman? When you call someone a "Terrorist Lover," is that done out of love?

Rather than a reasoned rebuttal, you, in your usual fashion, decided to use this as an opportunity to play the victim and dismiss my entire post as "hate." Like a big sniveling baby. Surprise.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.