1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Political YouTube Clips Thread

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Great Snook, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It sounds to me like some people just don't appreciate the freedom they have here. I mean, they complain about their country and criticize our elected leaders. Maybe if they lived in someplace, like say, Somalia, they would appreciate their country more. I think it's a damn shame that some people criticize us, especially while there is a war going on and American soldiers are putting their lives on the line for us. They are just giving aid to our enemies. What a shame. :grin:

3. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

1)Isn't the official language of Austria German?
    And
    2) There isn't a language known as Austrian is there?

Ragusa some help here.
    He must have been channeling bush, i guess.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    martaug,
    in principle the language in Austria is German. I only understand what they say with subtitles.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  5. martaug Gems: 23/31

I guess it is like the different versions of english we have here in the states.

How about this little tongue slip,

Privacy, piracy almost the same thing:D.
    Are we sure it's not something in the water in DC?:p

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What? He just said there'll be no more privacy for pirates... that makes sense. :D

7. martaug Gems: 23/31

New rail systems here in the us

HMMM, apparently trains won't be terrorists targets.
    Thats funny, what about Spain and England's terrorists attack on their trains?
    I guess terrorists attacks on trains can only happen in europe.:rolleyes:
    The morons in the audience were laughing, maybe taking security measures seriously is a laughable matter to them.

8. martaug Gems: 23/31

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Ummm... He realized the teleprompter wasn't where it should have been for where he was in his speech.

What is this fascination about teleprompters anyway? Regardless of a politician's speaking ability, they all use teleprompters. Bush did. McCain did. Palin did. I don't have a problem with teleprompter screwups, because it's a technology malfunction, not a problem with Obama's speaking ability. On lengthy presidential addresses where the speech runs about 45 minutes, it would be extremely difficult to memorize the entire thing.

That having been said, I do agree that Obama does not handle off-the-cuff questions very well. When trying to answer a question he is not prepared for, his response his filled with a lot of verbal ticks, like saying "um", "uh", and other longer than normal pauses in his answer. If that was what you were criticizing him for, I'd say it's a valid point. But what does the teleprompter not being synched with his speech have to do with Obama's speaking or speech giving ability?

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In the absence of any substantive opposing argument, or the mental capacity to even come up with one, this is really all they've got. Former supporters of the most bumbling, verbally-challenged President in our history are reduced arguing that up is down by claiming that Obama – despite countless town-hall and campaign appearances that prove otherwise – cannot function without a teleprompter. With all that's going on with the country right now, this is the voice of opposition.

Sad, isn't it?

11. Chandos the Red

Media:
  12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    CtR - Oh, his responses are very detailed. I've just noticed that there are quite a few verbal ticks in his speech, when he's thinking on the fly and trying to get the wording precisely correct. All I was pointing out is if you want to criticize something regarding the way Obama talks, focus on the words coming out of his mouth, not a technological issue like a teleprompter.

13. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    DR, you're missing it. At least Bush was confident in his mistakes (and insistent to boot)! This Obama fellow is obviously weak and unsure of himself. Look at how often he has to pause or fill time to make sure he's saying the right thing!

Just to make this clear, the above is a joke. A J-O-K-E.

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    He must be doing something right.

Cheney is at "18." 18! He must get "confused everyday."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30454232//

15. martaug Gems: 23/31

Yep thats why the latest polls show that 53% of voters think it is likely that a republican will be the next president, only 35% think it will be a democrat.

16. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Yep, and too bad that's 4 YEARS from now. :)

17. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Hey, congress is doing better, too. They're hovering between 20% and 40% approval, depending on the poll.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    That actually is pretty good by Congressional standards. They had been in the teens for quite a long time. Although, for one reason or another, Congress has historically polled lower than the President, regardless of whether Congress was of the same party or a different party as the President, and regardless of whether the President was popular or not.

Strangely, perhaps, is that the negativity is usually directed at other people's Representatives and Senators. Polls show that people tend to rate their own elected Representatives and Senators higher than they rate Congress overall. It's always the fault of other people's Representatives and Senators that Congress stinks.

19. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Of course, Aldeth. Congress is the built-in scapegoat because it's a diffuse body. You can always hate someone and yet also feel that your interests are being represented. That, and there are always stupid stories of idiot senators and representatives out there.

20. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yep, plus it's good for the local senators and representatives (who incidentally are the ones people on the state level have the most contact with) to have a convenient scapegoat when things go wrong - "oh, we are doing all we can for our fair state, it's those other ******s whose fault it is". Reminds me of that joke when we had a minister to blame for problems in every sector, and "the leader" to thank for the successes.

Between us, I think this is why the EU was turned into a political entity - so nations throughout Europe will have someone to blame for all those things that are unpopular in their countries but would have to be done anyway ;) .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.