1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Political YouTube Clips Thread

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Great Snook, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think the video makes an excellent point personally. There's a clear double standard here.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I watched the video and I think it shows a lack of clear reasoning ability in these people more than anything else. To believe something and yet not know why is pathetic.

As far as affirmative action goes, of the three types mentioned, there is a clear difference between athletics and professionals, and academics.

The goal of an athletic owner/sponsor/director is to choose an individual or team of individuals that will win at the sport they are playing.

The goal of a manager is to choose an individual or team of individuals that will excel at the job they are given.

The primary goal of a school/university is to take an individual who wants to learn something and teach them. Of course in the university setting getting brilliant people can be quite lucrative, but the overall number of students is large compared to the number of research positions available so that's not such a strong motivation to choose only the best and brightest; just some of the best and brightest.

Is it fair that a hard working individual should lose out on a position at the school of their choice to a slacker just because of the color of their skin? I would say not, but I'd also say that a hard working individual will find a position elsewhere that suits them.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Now we get down to it. After trashing auto workers and teachers, college students are next. Why? Because they vote, and sometimes "liberal." Since they don't know how "to reason" yet, let's take away their vote. Right? These attempts are mostly at the state level. While I'm not really a fan of affiramtive action [really more the way it is applied], some of us know what all this is really about and it's NOT affirmative action.

You can play this game with any number of people and religious, cultural conservatives are sitting ducks for this kind of ambush "journalism."

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't know if you are right about your suspicions or not, but all of these kinds of videos (the kind where "regular people" are asked questions about history, politics, etc.) are obviously made to make a point, and just as obviously they are only including those people who made the point in the finished poduct.

Maybe you should watch the video rather than assuming what it contains and what its point was. This wasn't a state-wide effort by some political hack; it was (what looked to be) one student at UCR asking other UCR students. So, no, I don't think you are right that the point of the video is to show that liberal college students cannot reason and therefore should have their vote taken away. However, these few were unable to reason logically to explain why they had certain convictions about affirmative action; and the ones who continued to stand by their conviction without knowing why are pathetic.

Of course you can, and all it shows is that the few people who gave the response the videographer wanted are all that you saw. What's even worse is that often people with an agenda take hours of tape to get the one sound bite they were looking for so they can take it out of context and make you believe that this person said something completely opposite of what they intended.

5. Chandos the Red

Media:
    That's probably what it appeared to be. Politcal operatives hang out in all kinds of places. I'm sure the good answers to these loaded questions are in a trash bin somewhere. For me this isn't about affiramtive action. That's hardly a hot button issue these days. But it seems to turn up on college campus. Why not speak with the officials? When I worked on the campus newspaper we had almost full access to these types of questions from the people who crafted them. And we often had guest STUDENT writers, real students, who wanted to pubish on a particular topic, for students on campus.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...blicans-wrong-to-attack-college-sudent-voting

http://act.mtv.com/posts/proposed-laws-threaten-college-students-right-to-vote/

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What this guy's motivations were are largely not relevant to me. And of course, like any report where a person has absolute control over what is and is not shown, you have to take it with a grain of salt.

But there is a nugget of truth in this video that absolutely does relate to affirmative action, which is the double standard in sports.

I might agree that there's a difference between academics and the other categories. In professional sports the rules applied to any business should apply there. At the end of the day, all pro sports teams are are another form of business. They provide enteratainment and turn a profit. So the question of why in this business only the most talented get chosen but in other businesses a more talented person might be dismissed in favor of a less talented/capable worker demonstrates a double-standard. Either do away with affirmative action in a business context, or apply it equally.

In "academic sports" the rules applied to universities should be applied in selecting teams. If we're going to make concessions for who gets to come into a school and study academic topics, the same concessions should be made for those who go to a university to pursue athletics. It makes for a level playing field to train up in hopes of getting that job as a professional athlete. The alternative, do away with affirmative action here also, or again, apply it equally.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  7. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

There are other considerations as well here when comparing say an IBM(Standard Business) to the Lakers(Sports). IBM employs how many people? Thousands, I'm sure. The Lakers employ how many players? 12-20. The athelte's performance in most cases will have a MUCH greater impact on the business than say a para-legal, a computer engineer or an administrative assitant will at IBM. The athelete is as impactual to a sports team as a CEO, CFO or COO is to an IBM. You can't just pick anyone for those positions, you need to pick the best, regardless of race, color or origin. Business practices need to be in a positive interest of a company to be a "justified" practice. Affirmative action is not a "black and white" scenario, but has many grey areas as well. It is and should be applied differently to each situation.

Chandos the Red likes this.
  8. Marceror

Media:
    You raise a good point, but also a problem. With all the gray areas, contextual interpretations and so forth what you end up with is a big arse cluster %$^%.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

But is that not true of any law? Or at least, most? And also is that not why we have a legal system, to review the laws and to adjust/amend the law when it's application does not treat each situation fairly? I believe Affirmative Action ito be a very slippery slope and needs to be closely monitiored by our legal entities to make sure it's application is adminstered justly. Which means we needs clauses and amendments that fit all scenarios.

10. Chandos the Red

Media:
    My problem with affirmative action is that is applied by the use of quotas, which is largely unfair and counter-productive in my opinion. But BoV raises the valid and very good point that it can't be applied exactly the same way to every situation.

11. Marceror

Media:
    Perhaps. On the upside, it sounds like this sucker is the source of numerous jobs created in order to manage it... properly.

:rolleyes:

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That's the thing though - as far as I'm aware, basketball is the ONLY sport where the vast majority of scholarship athletes are African American. It's not like only 10% of athletes receiving scholarships at our universities are white. I'm sure if you look at the hockey and lacrosse teams, they are almost entirely white - and they are getting scholarships too. The baseball teams are also mostly white (there's a huge Latino population in baseball at the pro level, but most of them didn't play college ball). Football is a mixed bag of different races.

So I really think we should look at ALL the athletic programs. Just like you shouldn't say we need more black athletes based on the composition of the hockey team, you shouldn't say we need more white athletes based on the composition of the basketball team.

13. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I am developing such a man crush on this guy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  14. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

So he basically wants people to get along and start acting like adults?

I think you'd need to close them in without any media coverage altogether - no reporters, no blackberry access, no wi-fi, nothing. Food and drinks are optional*...
    Otherwise, too many people will be too busy propping their ratings. Oh, and ideally, making elections a matter that lasts 2-3 weeks once every few years, not half year every other year, with more time for the presidential.

*Ok, we don't want them dehydrated, and I guess some sandwitches could be arranged in the interests of not having to call in an ambulance and risking an escape.

15. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

OK I'm testing something out here. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCDoBvG1HoI

Now I'm trying it with the youtube tags

Not sure if this'll work. Please pardon my ignorance.

I love this song!

What did I do wrong?

16. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You need to put the "rCDoBvG1HoI" of the URL between the Youtube tags, not the whole URL.

17. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I'll fix it when I get access to a desktop.

18. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    This has been making the rounds of the right wing blogs/emails. It shows why our society is in a lot of trouble.

19. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    This is awesome. I always liked him on Wheel of Fortune.

this one while not awesome I found amusing

20. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Noam Chomsky is probably one of my favorite political commentators:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.