1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Political YouTube Clips Thread

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Great Snook, Mar 28, 2009.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    This is very well done (IMO). While not being too political it is very amusing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    :lol: Tina is so funny. :)

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/11/04/tina-fey-breaks-out-sarah-palin-impression-on-letterman/

3. rightnwrong Banned

Hey The Great Snook. Is this really for a comedy? Looks personal. :D

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    If you go to the actual Youtube video and click on the details they list the production companies facebook page and it is listed as a comedy. I personally don't think it is an attack ad against him, but I could be wrong. I thought it was clever and very well done.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I definitely think it's for comedy's sake - I didn't see it as an attack ad. Political satire is nothing new.

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I wonder if he actually thought of doing this???

7. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

With a week to go to Irish elections, one man explains why he's voting the ruling party back into power.

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh the hypocrisy.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I never really understood the purpose of affirmative action - to me the entire concept is hypocritical. In an effort to not chose which people get accepted based on race and to judge by ability, you force people to chose people based on race and not ability. I never really understood the concept from the get go.

It's like using a racist policy to combat racism. I think it's strange, and I think it can have unintended consequences. For example, if a college wants at least 10% of the admitted student to be black, and they hit that target every year, how do we know that they are deliberately accepting only 10% of black candidates, when 15% might be qualified.

/me waits patiently while Snook has a heart attack while reading this/

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't believe that is the effort behind affirmative action. Quite the opposite in fact. The effort behind affirmative action believes there is merit in a well diversified population in a particular group of people, and that if current selection criteria alone (which may or may not include "ability") are used to judge acceptance, population diveristy will suffer.

If one assumes that "ability" is in fact the current selection criterion, affirmative action is (IMO) essentially a slap in the face to those groups it purports to help. Essentially it says that your race cannot compete on ability so race needs to be taken into consideration in order for diversity goals to be achieved.

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Our society has been and is rife with unofficial affirmitive action. It is always fun if there are 10 bosses in a company, all men and when one retires and they hire a new and purposefully go for a woman that is called affirmitive action but that 90% of the bosses are men (or white or whatever) is not affirmitive action? They are all better suited than all women?

Our society is rife with structural affirmitive action favouring the majority and the affirmitive action so many people find offensive is just a way to battle it, whether it is hte best way or notI cannot say but to be upset about as a member of the generally favoured majority feels a bit low.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, ability is the selection criterion for everyone else who doesn't fall into one of the minority groups, innit? So that's exactly my point... it does seem to do exactly what you say.

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Did I misunderstand what I quoted? It seemed you were saying that the goal of affirmative action is to "judge by ability". The goal of affirmative action is not to judge by ability (solely) because its proponents believe diversity within the group is an important result of the selection criteria and that by using whatever the current selection criterion is, diversity within the group is suffering.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Maybe I should have been clearer. I'm saying that the goal of affirmative action is to NOT judge by ability - so basically the exact opposite of what you thought I was trying to say. I'm confused now - do we agree or not?

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    OK I think we DO agree then, but I don't understand why "to [you] the entire concept is hypocritical".

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    For the exact reasons you listed in the second paragraph in your reply. It's a slap in the face to minority groups.

17. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Perish the thought, I consider you far to intelligent to be wrong all the time :D

18. Chandos the Red

Media:
    That's funny. I was just thinking the same thing about you, Snook. :) Sorry I didn't check out your clip though. I have an aversion to propaganda [it's probably just a few paid actors anyway].

19. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I dunno Chandos - it's actually something humorous to me. Guy on some campus (might be UC Riverside) asking students if they support affirmative action. When they say yes, he then goes into why the hoops team should have more whites and asians, in that the campus population is about 9% black but the team is over 90%.

Then they flounder about trying to explain why it's different.

The obvious implication is that you don't pick your hoops team based on race because you want to win, so you go with the best player. If that's the case, then what does that say about picking your students, faculty or, presumably, employees based on race?

It's a simple argument, but the general idea is that if you take away the original reason for affirmative action (i.e., that historic prejudice and racial bias has placed certain groups at a substantial disadvantage and they need a step stool to catch up), then there's absolutely no reason to continue affirmative action because it just harms your product.

As far as student body goes, there's a separate argument that claims that diversity is, in and of itself, a benefit, but I'm not so sure I buy into that at any level, much less the level that they want to give it in academic circles.

20. Chandos the Red

Media:
    OK, so it's about sports. I don't know if sprots really is at the top of the list for important affirmative action objectives. What's next? Rock bands? So these "nice people" accost the student body on their way to classes? Did they speak with the people who actually CRAFT the policy? That would be far better, IMO.

I would love to have one these fools approach me on campus, sticking a mic in my face. I'd have a few nice questions for these people as well. My section would be on the editing room floor, as I'm sure those with some good, sharp comments for them ended up as well. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.