1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Plot questions

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by ejsmith, Apr 18, 2002.

1. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Ok.

1) What significance do the 'shadows' have (other than capping you/Pharod)?

2) Dionnara is a spy in the 'negative plane'? (or what?)

3) Why did No-Name get capped in the Vagina/Alley of Sighs when he was trying to get back to the Morgue and open up the portal? (he didn't know he'd lose a whole lot of his memory when he got whacked?)

4) Ground-Hog days *SUCK*!!!! Just how long has this guy been around? 200 years? 300?

2. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Potential mini-SPOILERS

Do you really want to know? If so...

1) They are your "offspring," sort of (ask Ravel about them). Their purpose in hunting you is to kill you to make you forget.

2) Yeah, sort of, but not just a spy. Also a powerful ally.

3) As I recall, the game doesn't really describe the scene fully enough to let us know whether or not he planned to die at that point.

4) That's it! You're onto something! Nameless One's real name is "Bill Murray." ;) Seriously, though, he's been around a long time -- long enough that Ravel, who at this point has largely faded from memory, knew him before she started asking the question that earned her reputation. I suspect he's been around a *really* long time (thousands of years, perhaps?).

[This message has been edited by Bombur (edited April 18, 2002).]

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Thanks! That helped out a little.

I hate stumbling through a game. Thank god I found an editor; hex editing was getting really tedious.

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

"Why did No-Name get capped in the Vagina/Alley of Sighs when he was trying to get back to the Morgue and open up the portal? (he didn't know he'd lose a whole lot of his memory when he got whacked?)"

Actually he did know that he'll lose memories so he tried some things to get rid of memoryloss effect (this includes a murder too, and also is the reason why your incarnation of Nameless One won't lose memories no matter how many times he dies now, but you learn about that later in the game).

Each incarnation died over here or over there. It has no link with possible visiting of the Mortuary - not every incarnation managed to find out that portal in in the Mortuary.
    Shadows seek Nameless One and if they can, they'll kill him. You may call the scene in the alley as a destiny of that particular incarnation.

5. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Yeah, I just capped Ravel, and picked up on a few more tidbits. I guess the Shadows are 'souls' that should have been (in a mortal), but weren't because he's im. I figure they are 'semi-souls'.

So anyways, I chose Grace, but she can't kiss me back, so I saved and reloaded for Annah. She almost caught fire! I'm telling you, prehensile tails might just be the way to go...

Here's my next few questions:

This guy has gotten whacked a *WHOLE* bunch of times. Why do only three 'incarnations' show up?

And what's up with the final cutscene? He drops through (a portal?) to hell and grabs a mace?

There's a ring on a spike, which is jutting up through a book that has the 'torment' symbol on it. What's that?

And Dionerra's picture (wherever I've seen it in-game) has a little cutout on her dress/chest? What's the symobolism/deal with that?

Oh yeah. What exactly did No-Name do to prevent the memory loss on this run? Sure, he gets a few flashbacks from all the body parts he's left lying around...

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31

1. This guy has gotten whacked a *WHOLE* bunch of times. Why do only three 'incarnations' show up?
    - Because your incarnation had brain stirrs only by memories from those three incarnations.

2. And what's up with the final cutscene? He drops through (a portal?) to hell and grabs a mace?
    - What do you mean what's up? If you ask what's up with the mace, I bet it is the famous Mace of Disruption from Celestial Host spell which later appeared in BG2 too.

3. There's a ring on a spike, which is jutting up through a book that has the 'torment' symbol on it. What's that?
    - What ring? I saw no ring on the spike. Only ring I saw was the ring with Lady of Pain symbol - and this ring is major plot on Planescape (comic)book.

4. And Dionerra's picture (wherever I've seen it in-game) has a little cutout on her dress/chest? What's the symobolism/deal with that?
    - Just a designer's touch. Nothing mysterious.

5. Oh yeah. What exactly did No-Name do to prevent the memory loss on this run? Sure, he gets a few flashbacks from all the body parts he's left lying around...
    - I don't remember. Ask your paranoid incarnation - it was his deal that made next incarnation protected from memory loss.

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Thanks Extremist.

You're the man/demon/Harmonium agent!

8. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I don't remember if the stopping of the memory loss was ever explained... Now it started to bug me, too.

As for the mace, I believe it was just some normal mace dropped by someone dying in the blood war. Nameless one picked it up and decided that his nature was killing. Would you have liked it if he had simply sat down and whined about his tragic fate? I think it's a good ending to the story.

9. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Dodecahedron journal:

Option - "Read about the murder of one who tried to help you."

Text:
    Next time - read things in the game.

10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Oh yeah. I remember reading that, and thinking that's why the memories stuck around.

Uh...But then I forgot about it...
    (at least I can still remember my name)

Good call.

11. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

You actually trust those mad rantings? :p
    Hmmf. Can't remember everything, guess I'm getting old.

12. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

I was looking around in the tips and tricks section (don't think I've ever been there before; just the editor and walkthrough sections), and the whole 'dialogue' is in there in some 156k file. Gawd only knows just how long it took to complile, but I'm gonna print it out and read through it.

Nifty!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.