1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Please stop! :)

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Turandil, Oct 14, 2002.

1. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Uhhhhh.

Man.

I'm speechless after that analogy. Maybe I just need a couple of extra beers.

Anyway, the issue has never been weapons of the nature you're talking about. We cannot buy them; no one will even sell those.

The issue boils down to the limited few that we can buy. And that only with a Class3 permit. Basically (for those of you who have never looked into it), the actual cost of getting the permit is literally $10,000. There's a $2000 fee for the actual permit. The background check through the SBI and FBI runs right at $8000.

The level of background check you go through is akin to a "Secret" clearance. They don't "interview" anyone else, but they pull up records and pictures you never knew existed, and ask about them. Then there's a waiting period, and they check everything else. Credit card balances, late payments to your electric company, misdialed phone numbers on your house phone, grades in school, domestic reports in your home town. The whole works. They will deny you a permit if the crime in your area is too high.

Now, that's legally. Of course, there's the illegal version of everything, but then that's no different from Germany or Britian.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Shralp, do you read my posts???!

After pointing out a number of good reasons why civilians should not to own full autos I asked for a single good and rational reason why to allow to have them. Since rightwinger failed so badly to do so - maybe anyone of you finds a good and convincing argument able to outweigh mine to have a rational basis. And Shralp, that btw actually is the "US" method you pointed out.
    But sofar nothing has changed and I still wait for a reply.

[ October 23, 2002, 10:08: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The reason that good citisens shouldn't have a right to own super duper high powered weapons is so that they don't suddenly decide to stop been good citisens and decide to use them. After all, all criminals were 'good' citisens once, even if it was in early childhood...

4. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Sorry, Rags. I just don't understand the grammar in your last paragraph.

As I recall (and I haven't been reading this thread for a bit) your only argument against things like .50 cal guns or automatic rifles is that we don't need them. That's the point my post above addressed. You want to know why we need them. I want to know why they should be outlawed. Saying "they should be outlawed because no one needs them" is no argument. But again, I had a hard time understanding your writing and may have missed a reason.

http://www.reason.com/0211/fe.jm.gun.shtml
    http://www.kimdutoit.com/drarchive/DR200209/DR20020920.htm#Freed

[ October 23, 2002, 23:05: Message edited by: Shralp ]

5. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I have always thought that the people who link violent video games with tragedies are idiots. I watched one of those anti-Doom things after colombine, and every single sequence from doom had shots of the player with a shotgun blowing away humans. No mention was made of

1. the fact that the humans were mindless zombies.

2. The fact that there are THREE enemies in all of Doomdom (so far) that are human. Personally, if Doom subliminally trained me to want to kill demons or brains with mechanical spider legs, that's a good thing.

3. The fact that there are other, non-rifle weapons in Doom. Harder weapons to come by. Like a Chain Gun. Or a rocket launcher. Or a plasma rif-wait, that's right! No such thing! No wonder those kids used shotguns! You can pick them up at toy stores in the US! Saw an American bank offer the other day. If you open an account, they GIVE you a pistol. stg.)

4. The fact that 99.999999999999999% of the people who play Doom didn't go out and kill. And that there are also large percentages of killers who don't play Doom.

Recently the whole thing gave a twitch of life when Grand Theft Auto III was released.

And now, just when Columbine finally died, the Sniper comes along and resurrects it, except with the poster child being Counterstrike. Sheesh.

Okay, bad joke, bad timing. But still. Sheesh. They're wrong, is all I have to say.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah well, with the graphics of doom its hard to know what your killing.

[ October 27, 2002, 07:28: Message edited by: Aikanaro ]

7. Void Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

8. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

SoulSeekingYadaYadaYada, please tell me which American bank gives you a free pistol for signing up.

I imagine that the legal barriers would be completely insurmountable.

9. Ritwngr Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It's true - It was in Michigan, I think.

Besides, what's illegal about giving a weapon to someone? Presumably, the bank has enough information about you to proceed with the mandated background checks, etc.

10. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

I didn't say "illegal" now, did I?

It'd be kind of amusing if someone held up the bank with one of their own handguns.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.