1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Play Infinity Engine & Older (A)D&D Games Online - Easy

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Taluntain, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]Well, at least so Scott from GameRanger would have us believe. Those of you who have played (or tried to play) these games online before know that more often than not getting online multiplayer to work with the older games can be a chore at best and impossible at worst. GameRanger is supposed to make it easy and since something like this doesn't come along every day, it certainly deserves our promotion. Here's the word from Scott Kevill of GameRanger Technologies:

Hi all at Sorcerer's Place, just thought I'd let you know about a new multiplayer network I've created, called GameRanger, for playing online with these games covered at SP:

- Baldur's Gate
    - Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast
    - Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
    - Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
    - Dragonshard
    - Fallout Tactics (including demo)
    - Icewind Dale
    - Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter
    - Icewind Dale II
    - Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor

Basically, GameRanger makes it quick and easy to play your friends online.

It has full lobby support for over 500 different games and demos (including the above games, of course), without the hassles and headaches that usually happen with network connections (eg. routers & firewalls).

I'm really excited to be releasing it, and hope it helps boost the Sorcerer's community by allowing people to play that were unable to until now due to problems with opening ports, etc. The more barriers that can be removed, the more likely the community will stay strong, as new users won't be put off.

You can download it at www.GameRanger.com

We're eager to hear user's experiences with this application, so those of you who try it out, please post about it here or in our Online Adventures forum!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It's about time something like this was developed. Playing any of the IE games online before was a bit of a headache. Fel and I often had our hopes of a Tutu MP dashed by impossible internet connection problems since the demise of dial-up. Bravo that man! I will have to try this very soon!

3. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Whee!

I mean I would say "whee" if any of my friends would still play BG. :aww:

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I would say whee if my residential internet allowed it to connect :mad:

5. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

This doesn't seem like it's any different than what GameSpy Arcade offers.

And, once again, you host Icewind Dale games that nobody joins.

Also, GameSpy Arcade is probably better because if you host a multiplayer (eg. Baldur's Gate II) game with GameSpy installed, it automatically shows up on their list. But with GameRanger, you actually have to host the game through GameRanger. Stick with GameSpy Arcade.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  6. Scott Kevill Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

They might appear similar on the surface, but GameSpy Arcade does nothing to help you with router problems.

Keep in mind that for DirectPlay-based games such as the BG and IWD series, every player in the game (not just the host) normally needs to have a ton of ports forwarded correctly, and firewalls configured perfectly in order to participate in that game session.

There's no point having the game show up to other people if those other people can't actually join it.

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Too bad they don't offer teh old gold box games...

8. Scott Kevill Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Which games are these?

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.