1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pirates of the Caribbean 2

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Duffin, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Just been to see Pirates of the Caribbean 2, hmm dont really know what i think of it. It has fun moments and nice action scene's but when watching it i cant help but feel its a little too childish. It was a bit slow at times to and the plot didnt seem to be going anywhere sort of round in circles, dont worry i wont leave any spoilers. I'll probably buy the dvd when it comes out as its not bad but i cant help but feel a little dissapointed. Although dont get me wrong there are some very cool scenes and it can be quite humourus, Johnny Depp's performance as Jack Sparrow was excellent and Keira Knightly is just plain hot ;) but i think Orlando Bloom should stick to playing girly Elves :p . Has anyone else seen it yet and what do you think?

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm cheaply waiting for it to be rentable, but I heard a funny review of it from the movie ninja (don't ask):

"I can't understand why it was all about girls, well, except for Kiera Knightly, who is a more mannish-looking Orlando Bloom." :hahaerr:

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

If you're so disappointed, then why on earth are you going to shell out a wad of cash to buy the DVD?

4. lizardpudding Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Harbourboy, I'm wondering the same thing...

5. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I saw it, I enjoyed it for what it was. It's not what you're looking for if you want a serious drama but it certainly fits the bill as a not so serious action flick.

Don't understand the comment about the film being all about girls, unless someone's taking a pot shot at Johnny Depp.

The plot was no masterpiece, but neither are the plots in the 007 series, but they're still enjoyable. I did think they made Keira Knightly's character a little less "Disney" in this film, though William Turner (?) remains a white knight (and I can't imagine it changing for #3).

I also don't remember Davy Jones being tied to the Fly Dutchman, but oh well.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    If you come out of the theater feeling disappointed, just remember that this movie is a *Disney* production! :bad: It doesn't matter what director is shooting it, or who's the executive producer, or who the actor's are...it still has the taint of Disney.

So the key is to go to see with the mindset of, "Hey, this is a Disney movie that's going to be suitable for the entire family...especially the kids under 12." then you will find the movie most enjoyable.

Personally, I haven't seen it yet, but I used the afore mentioned mindset when I went to see the first PotC, and I enjoyed it. :thumb: I'll be using that mindset again when I do go see the new one as well, and to be honest, I'll probably enjoy it just as much as the first movie, if not more.

I just wish they used the same air-brush technique to enhance Kiera Knightly's minimal cleavage in the second movie like they did in the first... :cry: :rolling:

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I haven't seen it yet but the trailer was awesome. "I love those moments. I love to wave at them as they pass by." :D Definitely going to see it this weekend.

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Ah, finally - a thread on this. Seeing how popular the first one was around here I'm amazed to see that this one made very little splash.

I thought it was brilliant. It was just like the first one only ... more! :) Exactly what it needed to be. I'd expected Disney to screw it up (because they'd never made a good sequel) - but I suppose they managed :D

If you were expecting a deep plot and great drama, I wonder if you even watched the first one. You should've known what to expect, and lacking elements it never would want to have isn't a bad thing.

9. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I didn't even like the first one. The only interesting feature it had was Johnny Depp. The rest was a lame adventure story with a few half-hearted atempts at comedy.

10. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I did i have it on DVD, i enjoyed the film as an action flick, some of the scenes are excellent but i cant help but feel how much better it would be with a more in depth plot. I guess its only a Disney film but all the trailers and features about it made it out to seem like some LotR Epic film and thats why i was a little dissapointed, but i still very much liked the film i just think maybe it didnt meet its full hype.

I did'nt say i was SO dissapointed just a thought the film was a little short of all the hype. And im buying it because i think the graphics and action scenes are very well performed and because of the comedy. I also have the first one which i watch from time to time and just discussing this film is giving me the urge to watch no.1 :p so yeh i like the films, just thought they could have been more improved if not so obviously produced for a family audience.

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Hmm, how odd - personally I was disappointed by the sequel because it was too adult/grim in parts and often lost the tongue in cheek childlike innocence that the first film had. IMHO, this series is at its best when it is playing like an old fashion swashbuckler from the 30s/40s.

12. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

This was your typical "not-as-good-as-the-first-one" sequel. The first one concentrated mainly on Captain Jack Sparrow, quite successfully as well due to Johnny Depp's great performance. For this one they have added some more characters, maybe even too many. The movie had its moments but it felt a bit lost and boring. The massive action scenes were not that good either.

But I am, of course, going to watch the third one.

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

*blink* Uh, who are these other characters that they added...? I always felt that the first movie was more about Will ... but hey, whatever...

14. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

There are just too many people eating at the same soup.

As for the first one, that might have been the case if Captain Jack Sparrow had not stolen the show. But then again, if he had not, the movie would have not been as good as it was.

15. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Okay, I think Kitrax said it best; don't expect too much from ANYTHING Disney produces themselves (and not one of their 'grown-up' production studios), and you'll be fine.

I have not yet seen the sequel, but I had a salt shaker on hand when I rented LotBP, and I enjoyed myself. I don't expect Ghandi-like plot depth and seriousness of mood. As JSBB remarked, when these films evoke memories of Errol Flynn and the Fairbankses, they're 'in their grove'. :)

Oh, and the 'movie ninja' Kuemper mentioned is a silly 'Ask A Ninja' website where a guy dressed in shinobi shokuzu answers questions and relates them comically to budo ninjutsu. His 'review' was quite amusing, so without seeing this film, I've already been entertained! :D
    (you can find AskANinja here - even taking aside the bias due to the whole ninja vs. pirates feud, he's quite funny. :) )

16. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

In a nutshell, I feel that this movie was trying way too hard to capture the charm of the first in the series...and failed to do so.

I thought it dragged on too long and became tedious pretty quickly.

And DEATH to stupid directors who leave you with stupid cliffhangers... :grr:

17. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I wouldn't really call it a cliffhanger, some characters quests have ended others are about to begin. Reminded me of the ending to Empire Strikes back.

The film definetly missed out on alot of the plot and cohesion of the first film but it was fairly entertaining. I didn't see any point whatsoever to the evil officer and commodore from first film. All these seperate plots kinda pulled the film apart, at least with Curse of the Black Pearl they all had the same quest and destination. So you could delve into the side characters thoughts & motivations without losing purpose, in Dead Man's Chest it just doesn't work.

It is kinda pathetic that with more than 150mins running time they still managed to only tell half of a story.

18. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I saw it today. *shrugs* It's okay, but the first one was better.

Not sure if I will bother to see the third.

19. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Not as good as the first one....though my wife disagrees. We will definitely see the third.

Davy Jones was cool though!

What's up with the Davey Jones and Flying Dutchman connection

20. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Imo, they screwed up the characterization BAD and the plot was.. ugh. too much Elizabeth, and the humor was no longer natural.

It probably says a lot that the only character I felt was anything like him/herself in this movie and therefore enjoyable to watch was Will, and I couldnöt stand him in the first one.

.. and no,t hat shirtless whipping scene does not affect my opinion. at all.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.