1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Party Advice?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by harperfan7, Feb 9, 2014.

1. harperfan7 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm going to play through ID HoW again soon, and this is going to be my playthrough of all playthroughs, so I want to have a "perfect" experience. What I'm asking for here is corrections of my assumptions, and advice for my party.

I think the last time I played the game was in 2008, and I didn't get any further than the Ice Museum, and I don't remember what my group was. The last time I beat the game was probably 12+ years ago. I never bothered with dual-classing (because I didn't understand it), I didn't really know how ability scores worked, and there were a few other things about the mechanics that I didn't know (like rangers getting bonus attacks with longswords while not carrying a shield).

I do remember that my parties never got higher than about 13th level, because I had six people. This time, I'm thinking of playing three. I will be min-maxing my scores.

Here's my ideas so far, and my reasons for them:

CG Human Fighter 6/Cleric X, Str 18/00, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 3, Wis 18, Cha 3
    -flails, left over beginning points will go to bows or slings
    Maxed strength, dex, and con, because combat. I don't think he'll need Int or Cha for anything, really. Flails because I hear maces/flails are the best that a cleric can use. CG because I heard that there are some good-only items that clerics will want.

Bows are better, but my other two guys will be using them, and there are probably some good slings/bullets to be had. Also, can't you use a sling with a shield?

This character will be my primary melee/tank.

CN Human Thief ?/Mage X, Str 15, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 18, Wis ?, Cha 18
    -Shortbows, Daggers
    Those stats will be hard to roll, I know. I heard that Str 15 is necessary for some bows? Might only be longbows, I don't know. Any higher than Con 16 is useless, right? Int and Cha 18 for speech options and success. Will dumping Wis affect Lore?

CN because I hear it's the best for getting a good range of items.

This will be my traps character and an archer, sometimes backstabbing. I will stay with thief until my find traps/open lock are sufficiently high - 100% each? What's a good number there?

CG Elf Ranger, Str 18/00, Dex 19, Con 17, highest wisdom with whatever points I have left
    -Longswords, Longbows
    I know rangers get more attacks with longswords, and I know elves are especially good with longswords and longbows. I love elves, and I wanted a stealth/melee/archer guy to help out. Two characters would have been too few for me. I also hear there are ranger-only items that are quite good, and can fill out the gaps in this build. No shields.

I will probably choose salamanders as my favorite enemy, possibly trolls.

This party will hopefully have 8th or 9th level spells from the cleric/mage lists, and be plenty good at fighting, with stealth and trap/lock coverage. I hear that fighter/mages and ranger/clerics are the best dual-classes, but neither of those sounds particularly helpful to me. I think the party I have is particularly well-rounded, but that's why I'm here asking.

I heard there are some great items that are only available for evil fighter/mages, is this true? How good are they?
    I know the best weapon is for paladins, but I don't want a paladin.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Couple of thoughts - first, don't waste proficiencies in bows on the first character because once you dual that character to cleric, no bows allowed (remember this games uses 2e, and clerics could not use bows in 2e).

Also, your party will have zero magic through the beginning of the game and zero healing outside of potions. I think that is going to be a really tough slog for you.

The thief mage character is going to be really tough to keep alive. One attack per round, and, when a thief, insufficient meat shields to keep from being targeted.

It's certainly doable, but I suspect it will be painful to level. Once you get halfway through the game, it will likely ease up a bit, as your caster levels catch up with where they should be based on twice the experience of a six person party. It's just not what I would consider an optimal party, but it may be what you would consider one.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

3 characters won't be that much ahead of 6 characters when it comes to leveling for most of the game. I would coose six party members. Soloing or running with only a pair is fun, a Trio is tough. Really tough with your choices. Go Fighter until level 7(or 13), you will get more ATs/Round. Don't Dual the M/T, multi-class him all the way. OR Make him a F/M/T. In a 3-man party, the F/M/T can level enough to make him worthy, can contribute with melee, missle or magic. He can buff, cast AoE spells and backstab & trap/lock duty.

If I was going with a Trio, I would use a Dwarf F/C(or Half-Elf R/C), a Bard and a Gnome F/T. Bards are awesome if used properly. Their Skull Traps and Fireball/Lightning Bolt spells are nasty in the early game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.