1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ozone hole stable?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Carcaroth, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Does anyone know how long there has been a hole in the ozone layer?

2. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Geh, I just learnt about ozone and CFC's in Chem last month...-_-;; Anyway, this is just the basics...

CFC's were replaced by HCFC's and HFC's because the destructive chlorine free radical depletes the ozone layer and continously replenishes itself...see:

edit: something went wrong with the equations...
    edit again: I give up, it won't work...

CCl F --> CClF + Cl

Cl + O --> ClO + O
    3 2

ClO + O --> Cl + O

(sorry couldn't put little numbers in or the dot above the Cl)

HCFC's and HCF's both have hydrogen which allows them to react with OH- ions in the atmosphere so they mostly break up before they get to the stratosphere. HCF's are better than HCFC's because HCFC's still contain chlorine, but HFC's don't. However both are still greenhouse gases.

Hmmm I have no idea if any of that was helpful to anyone...but anyway...

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    As a chemist I know what you mean, but where you have the subscripts is nowhere near where they should be. Let adjust a bit shall we?

Is much more reasonably presented as:

CCl2 + F- --> CClF + Cl-

Cl- + O3 --> ClO + O2

ClO + O2 --> Cl- + O3

However, that last equation is superfulous, as it's the reverse of the second equation, and all chemical reactions are assumed to be in some sort of equillibrium anyway. (In the vernacular, that means if a reaction can go in one direction, indicated by the arrow, the reverse reaction can also take place if enough energy is present.)

4. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

True, didn't think of writing it that way. Although there is a *slight* difference in the last equation. There's no ozone molecule in the last equation, it's oxygen. ;)

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Unless you're doing theoretical chemistry that allows for reactions with monoatomic oxygen, it's ozone. There's no such things as just O. Oxygen does not exist as a free atom - it either has to bond with itself, or with something else. So in that last equation, the only way you could end up with O2 as the product is if the first O was an oxygen atom, which is impossible. Even if they are implying that there are two oxygen ions, that would still require diatomic oxygen initially. The first O has to be diatomic oxygen, O2, meaning the result is ozone, O3.

6. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

Well I am actually just doing theory and other textbook work at the moment so I just get taught the simple stuff. However I get what you mean.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.