1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

OWNED by Drow Greyanna and Foluben

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by ToddMcF2002, Jan 9, 2006.

1. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Owned and owned again. 5 times actually.

These two Drow (Greyanna and Foluben) has extreme Spell Resistance and huge AC and huge HP. Also there is a bug in the game where the damn Drow can cast Hold Person through walls!!!!

If anyone knows of effective tactics I'd be interested. I've buffed my guys with Cats Grace, Improved Invisibility, Bull's Strength, Darkness, Displacement etc. Used the doorway blockage thing too.

The Drow Archers and pincushing my Clerics and in melee the Drow hit huge. I spent about 3 hours on this sequence!

I saw the walkthrough suggested the Drow are susceptible to Confusion. That's the only thing I havent tried yet.

2. Thrasher91604

Thrasher91604 For those who know ...

Yep. Confusion is arguably the best spell in the game. Make sure your sorcerer has high charisma so most Drow archers fail their saving throws. There's a wand you can find that imparts a +6 CHR bonus! :eek:

Good luck!

Thrasher

3. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Hmmm... Pretty sure I grabbed it when I levelled up last. Bummer if I didnt.

I thought you couldnt attack a confused opponent without breaking the spell?

4. Thrasher91604

Per the official 3.5 rules the confused baddie may run away, and if you attack then he can defend himself.

But in RoMD, confusion is like a Mass Hold Person / Monster spell. It's like turn undead for the alive. They freeze in place, and don't defend themselves. Easy to get lots of sneak attacks in too. So if you have a high level cleric and a sorcerer/thief w/ confusion and both have high charismas, that takes care of about 90% of the enemies for you! Note that the drow clerics and sorcerers frequently save against confusion so you may have to take them out using melee or direct damage / death spells.

Control Undead and Hold Undead are also very useful for Mohrgs and Revenants immune to turning.

Actually it almost gets too easy.....

5. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Hmmm... the manual says "Any confused creature that is attacked automatically attacks on its next turn."

Huh. One thing I want to try tonight is to cast Cloudkill and Stinking Cloud early from within my sphere of Darkness and then go fireball. That before going bonkers with Confusion. I'm convinced that if I can take the Drow fighters then Greyanna and Foluben will be doable.

I'm sure I'll get frustrated and use Confusion - but I want to avoid Confusion especially if its going to make me too powerful.

6. Thrasher91604

[​IMG] Yeah, the manual lies. There are a few other examples where the spell descriptions don't match the actual gameplay. Classic example of code not meeting requirements. I guess it's a bug! What, a bug? :eek:

If you're worried about exploits, make sure you take off all your ability modifying magic items before you level up, otherwise you can end up with a HUGE number of hit points (CON), and skill points (INT). The huge number of hit points makes you way too powerful. My Cleric/Paladin 16/8 has over 500 HPs!

Thrasher

7. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Well it turns out I did NOT have confusion. However the overlay of Stinking Cloud, CloudKill, Flamestrike and Fireballs took care of the Drow fighters. I held back my melee fighters and kept healing when the arrows had worn them down and then fought Greyanna and Foluben. Meanwhile, I charmed 2 of the Arracats and blinded and killed the 3rd. The Guard Arracat was a victim in the rather smelly room LOL.

Nobody died! Major victory!

8. Thrasher91604

Congrats! I'm still working my way through the prison level. So far it's been a breeze with my Cleric/Paladin and Sorcerer/Thief. Looking forward to a challenge!

Thrasher

9. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Bedlam Prison in the Deep Halls Map? Is this your second time playing this game?

10. Thrasher91604

The Prison level in the catacombs. I'm sure you've been there, right?

11. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

I guess I'm not sure exactly where you are. The "Catacombs" are where the Drow are - I'm in Catacomb Cellar 1. The "Dungeons" are the 4 levels in the first half of the game before you get to the surface:
    - Halls of Light
    - Halls of Stone
    - Deep Halls
    - Main Halls

The Bedlam prison is in the Deep Halls - the lowest level of the Dungeons.

EDIT:
    Now I realize your two maps ahead of me. I snuck a peak at the Prima Guide that showed up today.

[ January 11, 2006, 06:10: Message edited by: ToddMcF2002 ]

12. Thrasher91604

OK, I thought you had made it down there already. You should know that there are uber items below level 1 of the catacombs that make the drow (and undead) battles much easier! Also, the idolatons are converted into better rings after you've been to the catacombs. That helps too!

Thrasher

13. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

So Thrasher if you here alot of booming above you or get a whif of ozone that's me one floor up :)

Finished the first cellar - onto the second. I returned the Skull and made Mystra happy ;)

I want more Drow! The cultists are weak sauce!

14. Thrasher91604

LOL! You've got lots more fun in store for you. I just went back to the first cellar to mop up the Drow stronghold. It's getting a little harder.... ;) I hate it when I have to replay a battle because a Drow Inquisitor turns tail and runs ..... :D

Thrasher

15. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

The second cellar is a challenge. I got in a fight with about 20 orgs last night and lost. It was getting late so I called it ;)

Its definately getting harder! I've cleared out about half of the second cellar.

16. Thrasher91604

I finished the catacombs last night. Dreyenna and company put up a good fight, but her multitude of minions were easily confused. Those drow archers almost turned my sorcerer/thief into a pin cushion before he could immobilize all of them!

There were some challenging cult ambushes too with lots of cult archmages, but thankfully they are vulnerable to finger of death. My cleric/paladin had her work cut out for her turning souless orogs and enthralled drow!

On to restoring the mythal!

Thrasher

17. rodu Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Wands of chain lightening help in the battle too

I forgot my strategy. I position everyone out of sight of the hidden door; the one on the west wall. this is the door I open. I also have a character lurking by the southern entrance to Greyanna's chambers. this character is equiped with a ring I think, that can cast lightening bolt. I found it elsewhere on the level, not sure where. i know that isn't alot of help, but's been like a year or two since I have done this.

Now I have the char with the best AC open the first door I mentioned. Now is the dialogue with Greyanna. Don't talk to her, just attack. Everything she says is just stalling while some of her soldiers approach the door to the north of you and try and flank you.

By attacking right away, you have a free initiative round. I move the door opener out of the way, and have my mage cast confusion into their ranks, and move out of the way. I then let the actual combat begin. By staying out of sight, the archers will not be able to pick you apart.

Your first attack of confusion should have maybe taken 2-3 of their soldiers or arracats out of the fight. But you'll wanrt to cast it again and again during the battle. What should happen next is some of their soldiers or evan Greyanna should enter the doorway so they can see you and use their bows. You want your best melee fighter to run up to whpmever is blocking the door and engage in melee combat. This will cause a traffic jam in the doorway. No one else will be able to enter. This is what I read to be called "the block and blast technique".

Have your mage continue to cast confusion untill you run out, then start casting chain lightening. Make sure to cast on Greyanna or Foluben first. This ensures they take the brunt of the spell, evan if they make their saves. Make sure that character you hid by the other southern entrance now opens that door and uses the magic ring and cast lightening on the stunned drow. This pretty much always works. Not guaranteed to not loose anyone, but that's why you use buffing spells like shield of faith to boost that AC

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.