1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Overrated / underrated weapons

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Chris Williams, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Mystra
    Ah! Now I see. I don't think I've ever talked to that demon, so I've never had to fight him.

Also, re your comment on Kundane - you seem to imply that the speed factor of 0 is why it gives an extra attack. I don't think that the 0 factor has anything to do with it; the extra attack is just a hidden feature. In any case, you're right - it's a good sword, and for those people who aren't aware of the extra attack, it probably is underrated.

2. Veras the Blade Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Heres the one that really bites me. Pixie prick. This is the coolest little weapon, i mean, it isnt very powerful, but it is really good if you have a weak theif or mage who has trouble in melee. Knock out your enemy, then beat it to death while it's down. The dagger does become useless in the later chapters though..

Also, dont you think that wakizashis and ninja-tos are pretty much useless? I dont think that there is one over +2?

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

@Neeraj: I hate paladins and all but Keldorn has certainly earned my grudging respect. He's wise, tough, a true champion of good and righteousness and a most deadly warrior with Carsomyr.

Lancress Strye, my Lawful Evil PC saluted him after defeating him in a one-on-one duel in Amn's sewers and then proceeded to send his whole family to join him in death. Even us evil lords of darkness know the concept of honor.
    :evil:

As for Anomen, now that is a self-righteous prick. I smack off his head there and then in the Copper Coronet the moment he addresses me with his terrible accent. Anomen is the one who gives the forces of good a bad name, not Keldorn.

Back on topic: The Equaliser is pretty good actually. It grants a mindshield and actually does extra damage to both Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil creatures. It's not a supremely powerful weapon, but it's definitely a great weapon.

4. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Yeah I agree. I believe Lilarcor is a good weapon to all of you right? So if Equalizer is to be compared with Lilarcor:
    Equalizer vs Lilarcor
    1.one-handed 1.two-handed
    2.immunity to Charm 2.immunity to charm
    and Confusion and confusion
    3.extra damage vs 3.can communicate
    evil or good

1.One-handed can be used to dual-wield or sword and shield, while two-handed deals more damages and have a longer range, therefore both are equally good.
    2.Both give immunities to two effects, therefore both are equal again.
    3.Equalizer deals extra damages to good and evil, while Lilarcor can communicate. So Equalizer has a advantage here, as it's no.3 ability is more important then Lilarcor's which talks rubbish anyway.
    Since, Lilarcor is a good weapon, why not Equalizer? Feel free to argue with me, so long as it will not get heated. :)

5. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

The problem with swords like Equalizer is that so many creatures have miscoded alignments. It really doesn't come into its own unless you use a mod like Oversight.

6. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@ Shura

I have a limited experience with Keldorn, so I'll take your word about him. As for Anomen, I'm pretty sure every 90% of the people on this board (myself included!), at one point or the other, had the urge to slash/bash/peirce his head off! :D

@ Skywind.

Your point about Equalizer is well proven. I guess Lilarcor gets more respect over Equalizer for the fact that it is a Two-Handed Sword, and Minsc, Keldorn, and Sarevok (ToB) already have at least 2 proficiency points in it, so you don't have to wait to gain levels to train people for it, as you would for Equalizer. And chances are, most PC fighters usually find another weapon they fall in love with, and Equalizer doesn't get complete until more than halfway through the game.

[ October 29, 2003, 18:23: Message edited by: Neeraj the Freak Paladin ]

7. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veras the Blade...

There is a wakizashis that only a monk can use. You can buy it from Joluv. I think it's +2 or +3.

8. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

As with Crom Faeyr, which also takes time to be created. Anyway, there are other good long swords, like the "..... Drinker" and dragonslayer before Equalizer, so the PCs can still have some good choices for long swords.
    Btw, I happen to be 1 of the PC who "love" long sword.

9. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    There is one weapon sacred to anyone who can use the "use any weapon" ability which is probably the most underrated among them all - The Scarlet Ninja-To +3. This is my most favorite sword in the game, side by side with the Blackrazor.
    Aside from causing gradual poison damage, it adds an additional attack for the wielder and it's a +3.

There's also another long sword that you can get from the Druid's grove which is horribly underrated since it's normal enchantment is +1 - it's +4 against undead and is the only long sword capable of hitting Kangaax in the whole of SoA.

10. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Can the Flametongue really hit Kangaxx? Yes, it's +4 vs. undead, but so is Daystar which cannot hit him (as Daystar as a base +2 enchantment and Flametongue is only +1). I have to say, I've never tried whacking him with it but I wouldn't expect it to work. You're right though, it is quite a nice weapon. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't kill trolls.

11. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31

@ Skywind

Yeah I love long swords also! When I killed Firkraag, I wanted to give Carsomyr to buddy Minsc, because Carsomyr is more enchanted than Lilarcor, and I wanted to keep my rotation of Flame Tongue, Ajatha the Drinker, Namarra and Dragonslayer, but alas, only my PC could use it, so I sold all my longswords. At least I still have Daystar, which I got like 3 (game) days after I got Carsomyr.

12. Veras the Blade Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Mystra, you are right. The Scarlet ninja to is a decent sword! Maybe i'll make a kensai\theif....

Anyway, no Flametongue cannot hit kangaxx. When a weapon, we'll say Flametongue, says that it is +4 or something when it strikes a certain type of foe, it doesn't hit things that require +4 or greater. It simply adds 4 to it's hit and damage roll against that creature.

Flametongue is one of my very favorite weapons, but it doesn't get much credit for being the great weapon thet it is. Pixie Prick deserves a little respect too. :cool:

13. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31

I've just played BG2 again and this time, I didn't ignore the Kuo Toa bolts as I had Jan along armed with a Crossbow of Speed. They were excellent - high damage and capable of stunning anything.

14. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Veras - Scarlet Ninja To is (as Mystra said) usable only by Monks, so a Kensai/Thief wouldn't be able to use it. And it's not that useful for a Monk anyway; after all, if you have a Monk, you should be using fists.

15. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    @Veras
    Scarlet Ninja-To is an EXCELLENT sword. Too many people worship the Belm+2 because of the +1 to attacks per round. It troubles me why the Scarlet should be different when it's a +3 and can poison.
    Usable only by monks is an effect that can be taken care of later. Until then, just keep the sword if you're a rogue class and plan to get the expansion.
    Also, contrary to popular belief, Flametongue is indeed +4 versus Undead. It's the only weapon exempted from the rule. This is why it deserves much more credit - I've killed Kangaax too many times with it.

16. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

"Also, contrary to popular belief, Flametongue is indeed +4 versus Undead. It's the only weapon exempted from the rule. This is why it deserves much more credit - I've killed Kangaax too many times with it. "

now *that* is news

i've always wondered why flametongue got the raps it seems to from everyone

now i know why

17. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Hmmm... I didn't know that Flametongue was that good. You could kill Kangaxx really early in the game if you got a couple Scrolls Magic prot. you could waste him easy.

18. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31

In fact, you can't waste him that easily. Weapons only do 2 - 3 HP of damage. I once tried to take him out in chapter 2 using Jaheira armed with the Staff Of Rhynn +4, Girdle Of Hill Giant Strength and using a Protection From Magic Scholl. He regenerates almost as fast as you can hurt him and the scroll ran out before he fell. Time for a reload!

19. Splunge

Media:
    Rynn for me gives strange results against Kangaxx. I've had the same thing happen as Chris; I believe it was with a dual-class ranger/cleric with at least 1* in staves and wearing the strength belt, and I was only doing 2 points per hit. And then I had a half-orc kensai with natural 19 Str and no points at all in staves, and I was doing enormous amounts of damage. I wonder if the Prot from Magic scroll, in addition to dispelling all magic spells cast on the user, also has some other weird effects?

@ Scythesong - the point is that, in SoA (which is what this forum is about), Scarlet Ninja-To has very limited usefulness. It's usefulness in ToB is irrelevent here.

20. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] @ Chris

I beleive it is imperative for the person melee attacking Kangaxx to be wearing Speed Boots or another type of speed enhancer when fighting Kangaxx, because speed will even things out vs. his regeneration. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.