1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Overlevelled loot bad — anybody else dismayed about this?

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' started by chevalier, Dec 26, 2016.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    My Inquisitor has just reached level 8 and won a level 14 greataxe in the same fight versus a level 8 boss.

In a different game I could explain this sort of thing away in roleplaying terms — you just find an epic weapon you have to do some growing up before you use, or you get treasure in the form of something you have to sell and instead of being a random gem it's a weapon that requires more strength, skill etc. than you're going to have in foreseeable future, so you sell it. Meanwhile you get a sneak peek at high-level gear, which — on the meta level — pleases the human player behind the character.

But not here. Everything is overlevelled, and you might even struggle with gear for your own level while being loaded full of higher-level gear. I'm carrying tons of stuff I can't use. Two levels. Four levels. But 6 levels? And selling makes no sense given the paltry pay with like 10x difference between buy and sell prices.

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    From what i know, DA:I doesn't have real level scaling, the level at which you might be grinding can be intended for higher level characters then you currently are, and so drop higher level gear.
    this is a list floating around on reddit on what area you should be tackling during which level(s) :

I'm a completionist through and through, and completing (most of) each area one after another put my level at or ahead of the indicated values.
    I never had a real problem with being loaded full on gear - anything i'm not able to use right now or in 1-2 level ups max, i throw into the item storage.

3. chevalier

Media:
    Oh right. Well, I decided to complete Hinterlands before going to Val, which included punching above my nominal level, except for those rifts in the SW part of the map. So perhaps this is what is responsible for my full inventory of +1 to +3 items, but +4 or +5 is still quite extreme, especially when the loot is much higher levelled than the actual enemies were.

Perhaps this all would be less noticeable if I were doing things in the intended order.

4. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    To be fair, the game gives you a large sandbox to play with, without making it all too clear with what areas you should be aiming for, you only need to do some of the plot related quests to unlock the higher leveled areas straight away.
    I like the fact that the game isn't overly concerned with holding your hand, but a better indication of good areas to go to for your level would have been nice.

5. chevalier

Media:
    Yeah, especially because of how close high-level and low-level encounters are to each other in the Hinterlands with no way of telling apart. You can reload, of course, or just run, but anyway.

Also, I suspect the game of favouring main character's level +1. I find both higher and lower, but never equal and rarely one level below or two above. If there's any pattern of proximity, it is PC level +1.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.