1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Only losers smoke pot, right?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by mordea, Sep 28, 2010.

1. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Thread resurrection time. I have been a fairly frequent user throughout basically my whole teen life (not using now though), and I have never had it impair me in any personal endeavors whatsoever. In fact, a good hit or two (at most) every few hours or so had me going mentally much more than anything besides perhaps a long stretch of meditation would. I work, and I engage in mental, physical, and creative activities. In short, pot has not killed my motivation one bit, nor turned me into a "loser" or impaired me mentally in any way. I am also responsible with it, if i'm going to drive or do something where I could be a danger to others I never use it at that time. The marijuana laws are completely asinine and just about everybody knows it now. I applaud places like New York and other states who are lowering the criminal penalties to infractions, basically the same severity as driving tickets. I would like to see it legalized, and I honestly think it's only a matter of time. The hypocrisy can only go so far.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Pot just makes me tired and puts me off my beer. I find im doing a lot of coke lately, which is a bit more expensive habit:/

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not to mention way more dangerous.

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That's why I stick with Pepsi.

5. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    That's a slippery slope, Marceror. Pepsi is a gateway soda. Next thing you know you're drinking Mountain Dew.

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What can I say. I'm a tad on the reckless side. ;)

7. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Stick to the topic please.

8. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    Well, to some extent I suppose it is a little on topic, pepsi and mountain dew being addictive substances which can be harmful in large quantities.

Caffeine addiction can cause physical side effects such as anxiety, mood disturbance and sleep disturbance, more then 200mg of caffeine a day can create a dependence on the 'drug' - when coupled with the fact that many of these caffinated drinks also contain high quantities of sugar, you are introducing to the risk of diabeties and of course weight gain, which plays a serious contender for the current obesity numbers.

to qualify the above comments and the 200mg statistic: (caffeine (mg))

Pepsi One 55.5
    Mountain Dew 55.0
    Red Bull (8.2 oz) 80.0
    Diet Coke 45.6
    Dr. Pepper 41.0
    Pepsi-Cola 37.5
    Diet Pepsi 36.0
    Coca-Cola Classic 34.0
    Cherry Coke 34.0
    Sunkist Orange 40.0
    Slim-Fast Cappuccino Delight Shake 40.0

When referring to energy drinks and caffinated soft drinks, a part-time school nurse stated “I am completely shocked. It was eye-opening to hear about what’s out there and being sold as legal alternatives to hard drugs”

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Found out recently that the majority of medcinal marijuana used in Canada is produced in England... Where it's still illegal even for medical purposes (even though it's not *that* enforced)

The best painkillers I've ever been on were removed from the market because of the lethality of overdose (it couldn't be negated because of the way it bonded in the body)

Since then I've been on legal prescription drugs that have messed me up more than any stoner I have met and it just doesn't make sense. Hell, even morphine is legal and processed within the body heroine and morphine break down into the same chemical.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I'm definitely addicted to caffeine, although it's through the consumption of coffee more than soda. If a cup of coffee has a comparable amount of caffeine as soda, I'm darn close to that 200mg per day, as in a typical day I consume at least two cups, sometimes three.

As for pot, I haven't used it in years. I know a lot of people who do, most of whom are high-functioning members of society, so it doesn't seem to cause major impairment with many people.

11. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  12. damedog Gems: 15/31

Resourceful Veteran

I have yet to see any credible arguments for the prohibition and criminal prosecution of marijuana users. Say what you want about me, but I don't think the word "criminal" comes to mind.

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, the only thing that comes to mind to me is that you're female ("dame"), and perhaps a canine. So I suppose that you could occasionally be a b!tch. :p

But seriously, to me, smoking pot doesn't equate with being a criminal.

14. damedog Gems: 15/31

Resourceful Veteran

:D good one! Damedog is the nickname my friends gave me, "Dame" being short for Damian in this case and not related to the word used for a female, lol.

Apparently a half ounce of pot or less in entirely legal in Alaska, as long as it is in your house. See you there everyone :p

15. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Personally I think this discussion is going to the wrong direction. Instead of trying to increase harmful and addictive substances we should try to reduce them. I'm fairly confident that in a few decades smoking can be completely banned. After that it would be time to battle with alcohol which I expect to be a much longer and trickier battle. Not least because of it has a a more established cultural foothold.

joacqin likes this.
  16. damedog Gems: 15/31

Resourceful Veteran

The history of banning substances in America isn't a very good one, the production and selling of it essentially just gets into the hands of criminal gangs and use isn't affected enough to outweigh the negatives. It was estimated that during Prohibition there was about 3 billion dollars in untaxed income being made off of alcohol, not to mention the several million spent in different agencies trying to fight it. Crime also increased in major cities by 24% in a single year under the prohibition laws (1920-1921). Making a substance illegal doesn't do away with the problem, and in some ways further aggravates it.

As an aside, can marijuana at this point even be classified as a harmful substance? The very worst thing about it is that people smoke it, but even that can be avoided by baking it or using vaporizers. What real public health justification is there to make the case of a ban on this drug, as opposed to far worse things like alcohol and tobacco?

17. Morgoroth

There's no public health justification, I don't think it needs one. Generally its afaik considered harmful, not as harmful as tobacco or alcohol but still harmful. I think the justification is mainly cultural instead of medical. I don't want any new drugs legalised. Period. I don't care if they are "less harmful" than other substances. The popularity of tobacco has decreased a lot with young recently and having it replaced with weed instead might be an improvement but I'd rather not have it replaced by any harmful/addictive substance.

When alcohol was banned in the US and Finland it failed because it had already culturally established itself. Tobacco unfortunately also managed to do so (but is reducing in popularity) and marijuana is yet to do so (in Finland I don't care about the US really in this regard. I'd prefer to keep it that way. Keeping it illegal has worked so far in preventing it from being marketed and sold publicly. I might accept cultivation for private consumption at most, but am certainly against legalizing sale.

18. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yes, let's ban cigs and alcohol. While we're at it, ban chocolate, caffeine, contact sports, meat and anything spicy.

People must have taboos. If anything, I'd legalize a few more drugs and tax them. They're never going to go away. Class A drugs carry very high sentences in this country, but tell me what you want and I can have it within an hour. It's really not hard to get a hold of the stuff even with all the heavy sentences etc. Just legalize, and tax it. At least with marijuana. More income for the country. Win.

19. Morgoroth

When the usage of alcohol and tobacco has reduced sufficiently, then yes it would absolutely be fine to ban them. As it is we have a long way to go for that to happen. Instant bans on widely used substances won't work.

20. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    why should anyone have the right to tell someone what they can and cannot do to their body? The law should only be there to punish those who act inappropreatly at any time, If I decide to knock back 14 pints and pass out on a bench covered in vomit, thats my choice, the consequences should be not that Ive consumed alcohol, but that Ive ended up in that state in public. If someone chooses to smoke copious amounts or stimulant, thats their choice, if they go into the street and cause problems, then that is what they should be punished for.
    I personally hate these laws to protect my health, I choose how to protect my health, and as a person who has suffered from depression self harm and suicidal tendencies and I speak from experience when I say that the thing that drove me the most to want to hurt and kill myself was societies interfereing with how Im supposed to feel and behave.

Stop trying to control people and maybe people will find a better way to behave themselves, just punish them for unjustifiable actions in public.

Chandos the Red likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.