1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Online pen&paper games

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Gnolyn Lochbreaker, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

OK I'm :sosad: now. I used the character generator programme and I set the points buy thingy to 28 (or whatever it was - I can't see the message as I'm writing this). I followed all the instructions within the programme and checked them against the manual. I though there might be a bug or two at work as I get lots of graphical glitches and it won't let me raise any ability beyond 14 but I decided I could live with that. Anyway, now looking at everyone else's characters I'm all confused again. So bugger it here are my stats:

------------------------
    Devious' Abilities are:
    Str 10
    Dex 14
    Con 10
    Int 14
    Wis 14
    Cha 14

He is a Rogue Human Neutral and worships (when he needs help) Mael. His current skills are:
    Appraise 4, Bluff 4, Disguise 2, Forgery 4, Gather Info 4, Hide 4, Listen 4, Move Silently 2, Open Locks 2, Pick pockets 4, Search 2, Sense Motive 4, Profession Innkeeper (Peddling wasn’t an option and this seemed closest) 4
    His feats are endurance and run
    His languages are common, Dwarven and Gnomish
    He is armed with a dagger and a short bow with 20 arrows
    He wears leather armour with a peasant’s outfit.
    He owns a mule (not practical to ride), which is carrying most of his stock to trade, which includes:
    Arrows 2*20, Bedroll, Winter Blanket *3, flask, lamp (common), linen *2, Paper sheet, pepper *2, Rations *2, salt *3, Sealing wax, Sewing needle *5, Soap *2, tea Leaves * 3, Tobacco * 3 and a waterskin. (all quantities as per the CD Character Creator)

In a backpack he carries:
    Dagger, flint and steel, Ink (vial), Inkpen, Leather, paper sheet, Pouch Belt (with 46gp, 9sp & 7cp), rations *3 and a signet ring
    -----------------------

Now the things that confuse me especially are:

Why have we got a range of ability scores from 72 to 80 - I though point buy meant we would have the same (not that it really bothers me as I seem to have more than most of you :) ).

How come I seem to have so many skills compared to the rest of you. I checked this in the manual and it seems to be right but I wonder if being restricted to a maiximum 1st level rank of 4 is a bug in the programme. I thought it was strange to start with but after seeing Lord Nocturn's skills of 12 (or whatever again sorry I can't see the post here) I'm wondering if I missed something.

So basically :help: I seem to have buggered things up.

/me wanders off to dream of the simpler days of Star Wars roleplaying systems.

PS I've worked out some of the skill stuff, I have posted my skills net before any bonus whereas Lord Noctures (I presume) included 4 basic + 4 racial + 4 dexterity bonus. If that's right :spin: I'm finally learning.

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited October 18, 2001).]

2. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I haven't studied the details. (None of my business really :) )

But pointbuy does NOT mean that you all get same sum of STAT points since stat points have different costs. Increase a stat from 13 to 14 costs 1 point but from 14 to 15 it costs 2 points and so on. Also race affects this as well.

A rouge gets a LOT of skill points compared to other classes so nothing wrong there. Max of 4 ranks is correct. But when you roll it you include other modifiers as well which may account for substantially higher figures.

3. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

hey slappy nice char there :)

let me try to clear things up a little for you.

First off each char point up to 14 costs you 1 point. 15-16 cost you 2 points whereas 17-18 costs 3 points each. Since you didn't spend 2 points for any stat (i.e. all your stats are 14 or below), you have the maximum total so far.

btw, Nocturne your char looks like 42 point buy or smthing :)

as for skills, they have to do with your class and intelligence ability score bonus. The ability score boni are as follows:

12-13 +1
    14-15 +2
    16-17 +3 and so on.

Rogues have incredible number of skills. At first level they receive (8+int modifier)*4 and 8+int mod for the levels from there on. Whereas wizards, for example receive (2+int modifier)*4 at first level. Plus, if you're a human, you receive 4 extra skill points at first level and an extra skill point each level hence forth. Each cross-class skill costs you 2 points per for a skill point.

Anyway, if you have any other questions feel free to ask. Here are the basics of my char:

Juhn the Illusionist (human)

str 10
    dex 14
    con 12
    int 16
    wis 12
    cha 10

skills: knowledge (int) stuff (arcana 4, history 2, geography 2, religion 2), alchemy 4, concentration 4, profession scribe 2, spellcraft 4

feats: combat casting, dodge

i'm waiting for the map, some cities etc to write a background. In any case i will have one ready by friday (i hope).

Let's game on :)

[This message has been edited by Invoker (edited October 18, 2001).]

4. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Errrr, Nocturne's character is considerably out of whack. Didn't we include a link to the Character Generator? Try using this to make your character Nocturne. By the way, with a Dex of 18, max possible Hide is +12 and max possible move silent is +10. However, this only applies if your rogue keeps his load "light". Hide and move silent bonus drop by three if you equip a medium load; by six if you have a heavy load.

I checked out of curiosity; Nocturne, your character is equivalent to a 40 point buy. Pretty hefty guy!
    On the other hand there's Slappy's character, who's only used 24 of his 28 points. :rolleyes:

You could boost one of Mr. Devious' stats to 16; from his description, I'd imagine CHA, but whatever you feel. Oh, sorry, noticed you couldn't raise anything past 14... hmmm, make sure you have version 1.2

5. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Okay folks -- looks like there's been a little confusion, but nothing we can't sort out easily enough :)

Slappy: Must be a bug with the generator, but it's easily solved. You have two additional points to spend on your stats. Your options are:
    1. Raise any one of the 14s to a 15
    2. Raise one of the 10's to a 12
    3. Raise both 10's to 11.

Let me know if you go for door number 1, 2 or 3 and to which stats. I'll make the changes on this end.

LordNocturne:
    Stats are indeed out of whack, but no problem :) The 28 points don't apply directly to the stats, but to a purchase scheme. Here's how it works.

Ability
    Score----Cost
    9----------1
    10---------2
    11---------3
    12---------4
    13---------5
    14---------6
    15---------8
    16---------10
    17---------13
    18---------16

All abilities start with a score of 8. You then use the 28 points to raise your ability score as per the costing above (a score of 12 costs 4 points; a score of 18 costs 16).

Post your stats here when you've adjusted them and I'll make the changes to your character.

Your skills might take a bit more work. For a 1st-level character the maximum rank in a class skill (such as move silently and hide for your thief) is 4. For all other skills it's 2. It looks like you've got ranks of 8 and 6 for two of your skills, and they'll need to be adjusted down.

The maximum number of skill points for a 1st-level rogue is equal to (8 + Intelligence modifier)*4. So, with a 12 INT you have 32 skill points to spend (again, max rank is 4 or 2). For class skills, 1 skill point buys 1 rank. For all other skills 1 point buys a half rank (or 2 points for 1 rank). So your alchemy rank 2 costs 4 points total, since it's not a class skill for rogues.

If you can, just take the additional 4 points from the Hide and 2 from the move silently and re-distribute them amongst your other skills. If you're having difficulty, or if you need more information on skills, just let me know and I'll be glad to help.

Okay, now for the 'Stagger' (I'm sure we can come up with a better name :p ). At 3' long it's shorter than a human-size quarter-staff (but the right length for a halfling :)), but the metal-shod ends and the dagger blades at to it's weight, making it 8 lbs. The two dagger ends would do normal dagger damage (1d4). Although the staff itself is smaller, the metal shodding adds to the weight so it does normal damage as per a staff -- 1d6. However, here's the kicker. I've thought about how it would have to work, given technology of the times. In order to use it as a staff, it needs to be sturdy, which means there has to be a catch and a release, not just a bottletop-like screw. Basically, without magic, that means a spring used in the release to separate the dagger ends. Given the craftsmanship needed (and it's a custom-made weapon), it's going to cost you 50 gp (about the same as a heavy crossbow). However, you could go for the cheaper model :D This doesn't use a spring mechanism to attach and separate the parts. Instead, it uses a cylindrical 'sheath' that slides over the two parts and then fastens them by screwing them down -- the sheath then also acts to bind them together. It's cheaper (only 20 gp) but it will also take one full round to separate them, and looks more conspicuous. Hmm...not sure how clear that description is though....

To make a simple poison you will need the craft skill. You will also need various ingredients, which you can hope to find, or buy. To buy one you'll need considerable money, but that's something to address in game play (you would have to find a merchant who deals in poisons and negotiate the trade).

Finally (whew!), sorry about not keeping the site up-to-date. It'll be much easier once my computer is fixed tomorrow. I'm going to try to upload the map that Sprite was referring to tonight. As for names of towns and things, go right ahead and make some up. If you happen to name something that's already been named, I'll just let you know. Oh, and the mountains Sprite was referring to (the Red mountains) are in the heart of Karsim -- they're a smaller range that I didn't put on the larger map you've already seen. Dolem and Lacmaer are nations in Karsim. I should be able to load that map tonight.

I think that's all for now....tomorrow should be a brighter (and more computer-enabled) day. And if there's anything else, just shout :)

6. Invoker Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] thanks gnolyn for the map and your efforts.

hmm how about "dagger cane" for a name :) Or you could have a shortsword and dagger inside instead of 2 daggers. Then call it "sword cane" ?

Two small things I've noticed:
    Slappy's points actually do add up to 28 :)
    And Nocturne, with an int of 12 your total skill points is 36 at first level.

7. Slappy Gems: 19/31

OK it's making some sense to my poor fundled and broken brain. Now thatI understand that its not a straight point for point situation the ability scores make sense. Checking Devious' abilities against the point cost table that Gnolyn put up it looks like Devious has spent the correct number of point with his current stats. I also understand why it didn't seem to want me to go above 14 - that would have cost 2 points and I only had one to spend.

After all this - maybe I should go back to playing a thick charcater. :hmm:

8. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Whoops! I think you're right on the math Invoker -- I was doing it quickly in my head last night. Teach me to rush :)!

[This message has been edited by Gnolyn Lochbreaker (edited October 18, 2001).]

9. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I assure you i used 28 point skill buy. Halflings get +2 to Dex, so i really only raised it to 16. I used the Generator. Slappy's right, 4 Ranks of Hide, +4 from Misc, +4 from Dex.I posted the total.

Gnolyn - Craft What? He has 4 ranks of Herbalism, would that work for finding the poison? Btw, i'll take the 50 GP model :)

Edit: Stats

Str: 10
    Dex: 18
    Con: 12
    Int: 12
    Wis: 10
    Cha: 12

Ac 17: 10 Base +2 Armor +4 Ability Mod
    Hp : 7 Chaotic Neutral
    Init : 4
    Will: 1
    Ref: 7
    Fort: 2

+5 Ranged, +1 Melee
    (Totals)
    Alchemy: 3
    Disguise: 3
    Escape Artist: 6
    Hide: 12
    Move Silently: 10
    Pickpocket: 8
    Read Lips: 2
    Search: 5
    Spot: 4
    Profession: Herbalist: 3
    Wearing Backpack and Leather Armor, in backpack: Bedroll, Flask *4 (For poison), Rations *2, Thieves Tools, Vial (Ink or Potion) *2. 104 GP, 7 SP, 8 CP
    Load: Light (8 Pounds)
    Speaks Halfling, Common and Dwarven

[This message has been edited by LordNocturne (edited October 18, 2001).]

10. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Okay, got it! Now I can see where all the modifiers are coming from -- and, yes, the herbalism will allow you to make simple poisons (simple poisons, IMO, is not a potion and so does not require the Brew Potion feat).

Also to note, my PC has been taken out to the shop :( and I'm not sure just when I'll have it back. I've got my fingers crossed for later today, but we'll see....

11. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31

How much is a Blowgun and Ammo gonna cost me, and can i start with some poison?

12. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Excellent, I see the site's been updated.

(for those who like to know such obscure stuff, kahraman hayat is a direct Turkish translation of paladin [of] life)

Kahraman Hayat

Kahraman was born to Alida and Khondor Hayat in the trading town of Aryen, near the foot of the Shadewatch Mountains. The dwarves of southwestern Meinyoch often came here to trade their stone and metalwork for silk, fresh produce, and other goods in Alida's general store. Khondor, his father, was a member of the Elerak Border Patrol and spent much of his time away from home.

When Kahraman was nine years old, a mysterious virus swept through the community. For two weeks, his parents stayed beside his bed, tending him carefully. Kahraman managed to pull through, although he still tended to get sick easily after that.

Kahraman's family worshipped Solran, and Kahraman took his faith more seriously than most children. He was attentive at the ceremonies and always attended. He paid particular attention when the priest talked about how Solran protected the weak and gave light to the darkened. When playing with other children, he stood up to the bullies who picked on the weaker, and developed a reputation for always being just -- as well as gaining strength and skill as a fighter.

At the age of 15, Kahraman faced tragedy for the first time. His father was killed during a routine patrol by a mysterious beast that came out of Elerak's Teeth. Khondor's entire group was slain; village rumors spoke of Eldimoorish creatures formed of foul magic. Kahraman now had to take the leadership role in the family. He began to spend more time hunting and training to follow in his father's footsteps as a warrior.

He was almost 17 when his life changed forever. He was hunting in the mountains when he was surprised by a party of orcs. After the initial shock, he realized he could not survive by fighting and took to his heels. The orcs gave chase, and before long he found himself trapped in a canyon. He fell on his knees and cried out to Solran for protection. At that moment, there came a crack of thunder and a blinding flash of light, then all went dark...

Kahraman dreamed. A man clothed in white was approaching, his garments shining so brightly they hurt Kahraman's eyes. "Be not afraid, Kahraman," the vision said. "I have chosen you to be My warrior. You will be a beacon of light and a fortress of safety for My people. Go, and take up your sword to fight in My name."

When he awoke, no trace of the orcs remained. Dazed, he returned to the village. His mother met him at the village entrance. "Where have you been? I haven't seen you in two days!" Then she saw his wounds and exclaiming in worry, took him to the village priest. After the priest healed him and finished examining him, Kahraman told him about the vision. "Ah, that explains the scar, then," the priest replied.

"Scar?" Kahraman asked. "Yes, you have a scar near your right temple in the shape of a lightning bolt. You have been marked by Solran, my son, and you must journey to Surindal to receive training as a paladin of His most holy faith."

==============================================

Kahraman Hayat
    20 years old
    Black hair, blue eyes, 5'11" and 186 pounds
    STR 14
    DEX 12
    CON 10
    INT 10
    WIS 14
    CHA 15

4 ranks in Diplomacy, 2.0 ranks in Intimidate, 4 ranks in Ride
    Improved Initiative, Power Attack
    Started with 160 gold, so has:
    Scale mail, large steel shield, longsword, holy symbol of Solran (silver), silvered dagger, a hempen rope, a sunrod, a signal whistle, a signet ring, and 31 gp.

Gnolyn, feel free to correct me on any names of places or other characteristics. I've tentatively called (c) on the map Aryen and (b) Surindal.

[This message has been edited by Capstone (edited October 23, 2001).]

[ December 03, 2002, 00:01: Message edited by: Capstone ]

13. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Fingers crossed for the PC fix. I hope this isn't all a result of our attempted online game sessions :o

Anyway, could you let us know if there will be a session this weekend so I can plan my busy social activities (yeah right :rolleyes: ) Here's hoping.

14. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hi guys, sorry to disappoint but we are still having terrible network and internet connection problems so I don't think we can manage to play. However Gnolyn will add as much to the site as he can - and so far we only have three developed characters, anyway, so the rest of you please introduce yourselves!

Gnolyn will also start a thread in "role player's corner" this weekend so we can start getting our characters mingling.

15. Invoker Gems: 12/31

yeah if they took the pc to their shop, that's always a bad omen :) Sorry, I've had a serious cold for the past few days and couldn't write a background.

So here's the background of Juhn (pronounced like a sharp "June") It's not a very happy one :)
    ------------

Juhn grew up in a small, quiet and peaceful fishing town just south of Soria,(h) one of the biggest cities in Lacmear. His father, Sedon, was an ex-adventurer, who also decided to retire from the bustling of the cities, growing some exotic plants/seeds and trading them to the alchemy shops in Soria. Sedon was bitter and oppressive, he had no further expectations from life, and looked at everything through the eyes of criticism. The household had to put up with his verbal abuse almost everyday, and violence when he was in a drunken stupor. As the years passed, the joyful active child Juhn became more and more repressed and brooding. His mother Aisia, however, was quite the opposite of his father. Loving and caring, but she was weak in character, unlike Juhn's sister, who confronted his father, claiming him to be psychotic and left home to live with a wayward bard.

Sedon's old friends came from time to time to see how their friend was doing. After seeing the wretch that Sedon has become, none came back. Until one day a friend, an old wizard, Deneth, came and took an interest in Juhn. He bought a small hut in town and spent the summer there teaching Juhn elementary arcana and magicka. Juhn took to it quickly and was a fast learner. He was especially interested in spells that mislead and fool the senses. Deneth, seeing the talent in Juhn, left a spellbook, books and tomes about history, magic, religion and many other areas for him to study through the winter after he departed. Each summer Deneth came back and Juhn took to his wizardry lessons. This went on for a few years to come until one summer Deneth did not appear.

This troubled Juhn enormously, for magecraft has become his only tie to this life and he wanted to gain the power of wizards he read in books. He was determined to leave and find Deneth, but that very same summer, his father, due to a lethal sickness, departed the life he was so angry at, and Juhn didn't want to leave his mother alone. The pull of magecraft and the desire to see the world and maybe lands far away was too strong, however. And when his mother, seeing her sons concern, encouraged him to leave and pursue his dreams, that's what he did. For Aisia was well loved in the town and he believed she would be well taken care of if needed.

Juhn arrived in Deneth's house in Soria, only to find that Deneth has been missing now for almost a year and Juhn was left with nothing. He rented a small, rotting room in a tavern and took up some jobs as a scribe from the occupants of the tavern, determined, that someday, he'd be a great wizard indeed. He wouldn't go back to his town.

--------------

Opening up a thread in rp corner is a very good idea indeed.

PS: So, Capstone how did you come up with the name Kahraman ? Are you Turkish ? If so, that's interesting cause I am :) (that's why my english is not very good, sorry :) )

[This message has been edited by Invoker (edited October 20, 2001).]

16. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31

I just thought of something Interesting...

Gnolyn - For PC races, what are we limited to? I was thinking i might do a Werewolf or a Skeleton if allowed. Heh, a Skeletal Paladin would be awesome.

17. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Invoker, nope, sorry, I'm American (Scottish descent). One of my resources for creating names (when I can't come up with something original off the fly) is foreign language dictionaries. For a paladin type character, I wanted strong harsh sounds, and Turkish fit the bill. It took some playing around with the dictionary online to find a name that sounded right *and* had an appropriate meaning behind it.

18. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Would it be ok for me to join or are all the places taken, I am new to online D&D, I have the players handbook and have played several crpgs. I also have the charecter generater and openrpg and msn.

19. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

Alright folks, I've opened a thread in the Roleplay Corner forum titled "Karyst - the Beginning" (http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000076.html).

So, let the fun begin :)

LordNocturne: A blowgun will cost you 1GP, and the darts are 1SP each. As for poison, because it's a rather special item, you should purchase it in-game (or at least negotiate for it in-game). For races, well, I'd have to say a skeleton is out (they don't really think - much :)), but a werewolf is plausible -- if you find a werewolf at some point during the game who would be willing to infect you with lycanthropy without killing you and eating your outright ;). Certainly would be interesting though....and plausible.

Capstone: No problem with the names. I've already created names and descriptions for those specific locations, but I'll mark two new ones on the map for you.

Mr. Writer: You would certainly be welcome to join! I had originally opened it for a maximum of 8 people. We currently have 5, and a possible 6 with Dark Xan. Take a look back through the posts on this thread to see what I'm looking for, as well as for some background information. Time is probably the most important thing. As a group, we've agreed to Saturdays, sometime between 12pm and 8pm Eastern Standard Time (we still need to decide on a specific window though). If you're available for that time, then what you'll need to do is to create a character (check previous posts for info) and then send it to me via email. You should also introduce your character. Please let us know.

I'll be updating the site tomorrow with some new information.

20. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Since you seem to have a slot even with Dark Xan and Mr. Writer's possibles, I'll claim that last one. Saturdays are fine with me, though later in that range would be better.

Varg, Half Orc Fighter

Towering well over six feet, Varg is a fearsome sight. His bald head is covered in patterns of scars and his fangs show prominently when he bares his teeth. He has a thick, coarse goatee style beard that splits into two points. He has a great axe and chain shirt of orcish make, as well as a longsword and heavy mace of local design.

Varg was raised among orcs in the Elerak Mountains and only recently left them. His father was a human warrior of some skill who had won a place among the orcs, at least for a time. He was later slain during an attempt to seize leadership of the tribe. Unlike his father, Varg prospered among the Orcs with his great size, strength, and relative intelligence. However, he tired of the constant disorganization, infighting, and casual brutality of orcish life. Soon after coming into his full growth, Varg left the orcs for the lands of his father's people. He has worked as a mercenary since, but has found that such a life is little different from what he had among the orcs.

One thing he did find among humans, though, was tales of heroic warriors. Men with discipline, iron clad personal codes, and great skill. These tales fired Varg's imagination and he has resolved to be such a warrior. Battle is his life and he will be the best! Not for him the lazy life of picking on weaklings. He'll prove his mettle against worthy foes or perish.

Currently Varg is just drifting around, taking odd jobs, and diligently working on his fighting skills.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.