1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Online pen&paper games

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Gnolyn Lochbreaker, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Dark Xan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

2. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Just a quick note to say I've been to the site and it looks fine :) One thought did strike me though - are you writing your material in something like Word before HTMLing it? If so, it would be useful if you could also post the word files for download so that we can print them off at home to keep records. It's not desperate as it's easy enough to cut and paste from the web page of course.

PS can I now use 'HTMLing' in future scrabble games :)

3. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Hey Brits, don't forget there's a Euro game live online in the 'Minstrel's Medallion' here on Sorcerers Boards every wed, 9pm - 12pm gmt. Still a couple of places, check out the Euro threads at Roleplay corner.

4. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Just for the record, I think I prefer the point buy system.

Slappy, how can you "forget" where to put Gnolyn's "y"? His post was right above yours... :p

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31

/me hangs his head in shame

I must try and remember it's not 'Gnolyn' but 'Gnol - in' hence Gnolyn, two parts to the pronounciation.

6. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

slappy :)
    well, i seem to prefer the point buy system too for it allows maximum customization of the scores. Tho it doesn't really matter much.. I suppose

7. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Point buy is also better because it gives everyone a standard; you can't keep rerolling to get very high stats.

8. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Ok ok, point buy's fine. Now the question is, what do i make?? AAAAH

One thought i had was a Rogue specilizing in blowguns... if there are blowguns. How do i get an assassin though? Does it have to be a high level thief and then Prestige Class?

9. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] oooh Assassins are definitely cool !! But you have to be evil which may not fit with the campaign. Anyways, here are the prerequisites:

alignment: any evil
    Move silently: 8 ranks
    Hide: 8 ranks
    Disguise: 4 ranks

In addition to these you have to kill someone for no other reason than to join the assassins.

Would you like to reconsider ? :D

10. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31

Bah! Guess it'd just be a rogue than. Or maybe Assassin... it's possible

11. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] If you're an assassin, you'd better be a darn good one, as my paladin's not likely to put up with that... ;)

Rogues are cool... I just have trouble roleplaying them with my LG nature. /me shrugs

12. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31

Ahh, well my Rogue will most likely be a pretty good one. Even if it is point buy.

13. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Gnolyn, are we doing anything this Saturday?

14. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31

When should we make our chars?

15. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Just in case you're wondering - I have it on good authority that Gnolyn has been ill lately with a very bad cold :(

That probably explains why he hasn't got back to you for a few days - unless he has become lost in Karyst.

PS I'm getting more tempted by the idea of recreating my Peddler for this game. He could fit a rogue class, though he'd be pretty crap in combat. I'll post details of a few alternatives in the next few days and see what everyone thinks and get a feel for the party balance.

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited October 13, 2001).]

16. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Hey folks. Sorry I've been absent so long. I've been fighting a cold all week long, which basically meant coming straight home from work and going right to bed every night. And now we're having some computer problems. Arrghh!!

Unfortunately, that means we can't really do anything this weekend. But, I would love it if you guys went ahead with creating your characters.

Since we're all over the place, the point buy system would be best, and the most fair for everyone.

On evil characters: If you want an evil character, fill your boots. I'm of the mindset that only the player and the DM need to know about alignment -- you play your alignment, and everyone else should catch on from there. But I must warn you that overtly evil characters can find life very difficult *unless* they hide it well. One of the things about an evil PC is that they can pretend to be good, while actually being rotten to the core, just to protect themselves. Sometimes that means protecting themselves from other party members aswell -- nature of the beast :)

Blow guns allowed -- I'll see if I can dig up some stats for them. If there are any other exotic or different weapons you'd like to include that aren't in the PHB, let me know -- most of them have been covered in previous editions and I can include them.

Again, I'm really sorry about not being around lately. I'm hoping to get the computer problems all fixed today, but I can't promise anything -- very frustrating :nolike: . And if you have a completed character, you can mail it to me - just let me know what format it's in.

Dark Xan - welcome aboard!

Slappy: Just from the number of people I don't think party balance will be much of a problem. In setting up campaigns I try to make it interesting for everyone, so that every character has value to the party and everyone can have fun playing their character.

[This message has been edited by Gnolyn Lochbreaker (edited October 13, 2001).]

17. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Gnolyn, sorry to hear about your week and the continued computer problems :(

But glad to hear about the character/team balance. I think I'll definitely go with the Peddler character in that case. Knowing next to nothing about the D&D game mechanics from any version it will easier to play a character who is not versed in the subtleties of which spell to use of which axe to swing :) - but playing one who can bullshit should not cause problems :|

As to sending the characters to you, have you any preference for the format. I have something in the Wizards of the Coast Character Creator v1.2 (free download) but it doesn't give any options for exporting it as far as I can see. I also believe you will be putting everything on to an Excel spreadsheet so presumably it would be easier to send our detail in that format. In which case, have you a template that you will be using. If we all use the same as yours it will save you retyping stuff - just a thought.

18. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Heh... uh, Gnolyn, if point buy -- how many points?! :p

19. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31

Slappy - Save the Character, emailhim the save file for the WoTC CG.

Capstone - Good question, how many points?

Gnolyn - One other weapon i had in mind, as a secondary weapon, i don't know if you'd have to make it up or what, but hey, you're the DM.
    A three foot long piece of wood, metal covering each end. It appears to be a very small Quarter staff. Untill the user Twists and pulls the halves apart. Inside the Wood are two two foot long blades which stay hidden. When the halves are pulled apart, the User is left with two small swords (not Short Swords, just Small Swords) or overly long daggers with wodden handles. A secondary attack for the swords is the metal covering the ends, which can do crushing damage.

20. Slappy Gems: 19/31

LordNocturne thanks for the tip. Yep I have no problems saving the character I meant I hadn't found a way of exporting it into a different format say Excel for Gnolyn's spreadsheet. I guess thee probably isn't :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.