1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Online pen&paper games

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Gnolyn Lochbreaker, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I have a hard time trying to find a group of people to play D&D with, so I'm thinking of starting up an online campaign. I've put some thought into how to do it, but I'd appreciate some insight from others.

At the moment, I think MS NetMeeting would provide the best medium; it supports chat, has video and image capabilities, and also allows for file sharing.

How have other people played? Any suggestions? (Doesn't matter if you've tried online P&P or not)

2. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

IRC is a typical medium... not sure why you'd need the video capabilities of NetMeeting. I think it's actually fairly easy to find online IRCRPG's; I'd probably be happy to join your campaign, as I can't seem to get into any in the RC.

3. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

yeah I also want to play 3rd ed but online seems to be the only option for me. :(

there's this wonderful tool for online rpg which you can download from www.webrpg.com .

It has avatars, monsters, maps etc anything you could ask for on a tabletop. Much better then irc IMO. Maybe you should take a look it. Also you can find groups/DMs etc through their website.

The only downside is it takes a little getting used to using it.

4. Kerric Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Cool, I've always wanted to play online with guys I even never met before. If you decide to play, hook me up for a seat will you?

As far as I know, Irc is the most common media type for RPGs online.
    If you start a campaign you should find one night everybody usual is free to play. And have in thought not all of us are from the states :)

EDIT: I've just been at that WebRPG site and must say that it looks great.

[This message has been edited by Kerric (edited September 18, 2001).]

5. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Count me in if I can come, Tell me where should I go to look for posts on times?

6. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

Good idea guys, but take note: WebRPG isn't free.
    "WebRPG.com will is now using a monthly subscription fee for access to it's server and game engine (which is why you are now being asked for a password). This will
    help pay for the cost of continued development as well as the overhead of running a very popular server."

Try OpenRPG instead. http://www.openrpg.com/

7. Invoker Gems: 12/31

oh my! it was free last time i used it (about a year ago :) ) So, openrpg of course is a better idea.

8. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Thanks for all the input so far! This originally came out of a discussion on Slappy's site (Sorry Tal -- hope the reference is alright). Main problem is that us 'older' players don't often have the opportunity to find a group of other similarly aged players, mostly because of work and locations.

What I'm trying to do is to replicate the atmosphere of a group of people sitting around a table. For that reason, the emphasis is on communications; most of those online tools emphasis the tool more than the people, which (IMO) detracts from the roleplaying. Other than communication software for chat diaglogue, audio support (voice and various other sounds), and potentially video (number of things you can do with that), the only other piece needed is something to automate the mechanics of the game (mainly die rolls and character stats).

What I've come up with so far is using NetMeeting for the communications, and a spreadsheet (with lots of VBA) that automates the game mechanics (players just need to 'point and click'). That file can be shared among all the players. Also, maps, diagrams, text and other files can easily be shared amongst the players. But, the emphasis remains the interactions between players and the DM.

Of course, I haven't tried it out yet, and it's still in the very early stages :heh: And we don't have an established group yet, so the interest I'm seeing is really exciting. Again, thanks for the insights :)

9. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Not sure what we'd need video for. With my current equipment, I think it would just bog me down.

I can't really comment on the usefulness of NetMeeting, as I've never used it. The advantage of IRC in this regard I guess is that many of us are probably more familiar with it. Bots are also available that can do dice-rolling and other functions for IRC -- such as good old Elminster.

But I'll be happy to see anything at this point. :D

10. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Incidently, if you want a medium to roleplay your characters in bewtween sessions, I would highly suggest using these boards in the roleplay corner forum. This way, as long as everyone in your group is on the same page, you can develop characters and anvance time inbetween the more important aspects of your game that require constant DM intervention. I've been playing this type of game for several months I think (hard to keep track of time in such things ;)) using the boards and mIRC and so far it's worked well. It gives everyone something to do with their character between sessions and allows for faster game progression.

11. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Yeah, why not set up another world on RC right here? We already have ~4, room for another. The Minstrel's Medallion Room was set up for just that purpose, or use OpenRPG if you prefer. As long as you distinguish your threads there should be no confusion.
    I don't understand the comment about 'couldn't get in', I haven't knowingly turned anyone down from the Euro game yet. My biggest problem is getting a regular party of 4 that can agree on a time!
    WARNING do not underestimate the time zone issue. Finding a 3hr slot that guys from (eg)Norway and Florida agree on ain't easy.

[This message has been edited by Erran (edited September 21, 2001).]

12. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] I'm limited pretty much to Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, evenings 5-10 pm and Sat all day, CST. This immediately knocked me out of Euro and the Wed US group. Baldak informed me he was full in the Tues group, hence my comment I couldn't get in.

Gnolyn, I'm all for joining another RPG campaign. Just hope you'll be a stable DM and can check the boards at least once a day. Oh, and I prefer known settings. :)

13. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

I usually like to have a specific set time so everyone knows when to be ready. Most likely I'll be looking at Saturdays or Sundays between 12pm and 11pm EST. As for setting, I usually use an open-ended setting rather than Forgotten Realms or others. What I mean by open-ended is that everyone involved in the playing group has input into the setting, and it develops as the group plays. I used to use the Realms, but it can get very crowded in there :) Plus, it's been a *very* long time since I've set anything in the Realms, and I haven't picked up the revised set for 3rd edition. But I always provide background for players as needed and requested.

It'll be a couple of weeks before I have something ready, but by all means start thinking of characters if you're interested. I'd like to start off with a fresh group (i.e., 1st-level characters). Also, feel free to be as creative as you like with backgrounds. The more you put into the character, the more I can build around it. Thanks for all the interest :)

Oh, and people tell me I'm pretty stable...

14. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] I have all kinds of characters. My favorite type to play is paladin, with cleric and ranger(archer) following close behind, but I'm pretty flexible. Please, not Sundays though. :)

I have no problem with custom worlds as long as they are fairly well defined.

15. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I can vouch for Gnolyn's stability, and I'm married to him so I should know! :)

I'm sorry it took me so long to notice this thread- I don't often check this particular forum. But I'd like to play too. I've recently created a dwarf priestess of Lathander for multiplayer BG that I'd like to play, with some variations of course, in the P&P game. If no one objects.

I've never tried IRC but I do really like NetMeeting. I never turn on the video capability (don't have a camera either) but I do use the audio and find it very helpful to have voice chat and to be able to use the whiteboard. It's a cheap substitute for the telephone. I'm flexible as far as tools are concerned but thought I'd put in a good word for the one I know.

By the way we're on EST. Canada, not the states. ;)

16. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Excellent! Hope we can get this kicked off before long. My paladin really wants to get back into adventuring. :D

17. Amis:] Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Im in. Im having trouble getting in contact with people though....

18. Kerric Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

How do we know who is in and out?
    What time do we play? Im available 17-22 CET
    Do we start at lvl 1? (Really hope so)
    What setting do we play, Forgotten Realms or something else?

I would appreciate that somebody tells us who is invited to the campaign.

19. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

At the moment, it's an open invitation to those interested. I'm looking for a maximum of eight players, preferably 'mature' players. Doesn't mean that those under a certain age can't join, but I'd prefer players who act maturely and won't waste other player's time with ridiculous antics. (Silliness is, of course, acceptable -- to a degree).

Characters will be 1st level, 3rd edition. The setting is non-specific (see above posts), and will be developed as we play. I'll provide basic information (places, societal structures, religion, etc), but the specifics will be created on an ongoing basis to give player's some creative input as well.

Play won't actually start for another two weeks -- this weekend is out, the next is Thanksgiving here in Canada (both our families are coming for dinner, which makes a really crowded house :)). From the posts I've seen from people interested so far, game times will be on Saturdays, but an actual time will be worked out once we have a set group (keep in mind that there's interest from all over :)).

This weekend I will be able to put up some background info, and we can confirm the players. Then we can start with character generation, etc. I'll also provide contact information to get in touch with me directly by email.

Hope this answers your questions -- this weekend we should be able to firm stuff up some more.

20. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Gnolyn you rock :D :D :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.